16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

MIKE + THE MECHANICS - Another Cup Of Coffee

Year: 1995

Album: Beggar On a Beach Of Gold [album review]

Working title: unknown

Credits: Rutherford/Neil

Lyrics: Yes

Length: 4:42

Musicians: Mike Rutherford, Paul Carrack, Peter van Hooke, Adrian Lee, Gary Wallis

Played Live: 1995, 1996, 1999, 2004, 2011, 2012, 2013

mp3 downloads:

Cover versions: none

Notes: Whatever you think about the Mechanics, they have always had a good nose for great melodies. In 1995 they shifted to a more acoustic or "more organic" sound, as Mike would put it. The result was a relaxed album that spawned several radio and single hits. One of the best-known and most successful singles from the album is Another Cup Of Coffee.

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread.

If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

• I like the song, but as with a lot of Mechanics stuff I find it somewhat bland. It's pleasant & has interesting lyrics but I can't say much more about it. Edit: I gave it a 10.

• Official Post

10 points. I like the Beggar album, but somehow M6 attracted me more. In any case a collection of fine songs and this one is no exception, though not the best one on that record.

• Although I share the view that The Mechanics' stuff tends to shift towards blandness sometimes, Beggar was a fine album, perhaps my second favorite after Smallcreep's day. This song in particular though doesn't too much for me, it's just OK. A 9 perhaps.

Edited 2 times, last by Fabrizio ().

• Although I share the view that The Mechanics' stuff tends to shift towards blandness sometimes, Beggar was a fine album, perhaps my second favorite after Smallcreep's day. This song in particular though doesn't too much for me, it's just OK. A 9 perhaps.

I tend to agree re 2nd to Smallcreep, but this song is a good one, strong lyrically.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• The song had a lot of airplay on the radio, when it came out, so I am a bit over saturated. It is a nice song but nothing extraordinary. 10 points from me.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Well, it's okay, but more than 9 points do not seem appropriate. It's a track for radio, decently produced and that's it. There are better tracks on that album.

• Official Post

The track was also played by Ray Wilson frequently during the last few years ...

• indeed he did

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Quite a nice version!

Nevertheless I prefer Ray playing his own stuff (apart from the CAS tracks and maybe Carpet Crawlers)

• One of the very best Mechanics tracks in my opinion. Mike, by his very nature, tends to make music that's a little too laid back for my tastes but sometimes he knocks it right out of the park, as with this song and, indeed, much of the stuff on the Beggar album.