16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

GENESIS - Stagnation

Year: 1970

Album: Trespass [album review]

Working title: unknown

Credits: Banks, Gabriel, Phillips. Rutherford

Lyrics: Yes

Length: 8:46

Musicians: Tony Banks, Peter Gabriel, Anthony Phillips, Mike Rutherford, John Mayhew

Played Live: 1970, 1971, 1972

mp3 downloads:

Cover versions: none

Notes: The early period of the band had a number of outstanding tracks that made the band popular - especially when they were played live. Some of those songs, e.g. The Light, have never been released officially. Others ended up on Trespass or Nursery Cryme. Stagnation is perhaps the blueprint for the progressive phase of Genesis.

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread.

If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

• The leap from FGTR to this is staggering and the structure of this set the tone and direction for the next few albums. Mayhew’s drumming is actually very sympathetic and although Collins improved upon it (as he always did) in the later version it’s not a massive improvement. The flute sounds perfect for this track as well. A very mature piece for such youngsters and I think the standout track on a key album

• My favorite TRESPASS track.

On the old Genesis board I once cited it as containing my "favorite note" in a Genesis song: that very low "aaaaaah" at the end of the quiet instrumental section, helping to build tension to be released by the louder part. (I always wonder who sang it.)

Some of you may have heard the early BBC version, where the familiar ending section ("so let us drink") is missing, and instead there's a louder version of the vocal melody from the beginning of the song.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• As a young listener in my teens listening to Trespass the first few times, I was immediately drawn to the exhilarating power of The Knife.

But it didn’t take long for my focus to be lured by Stagnation which I felt had more depth and was far more intriguing of a track.

To this day, Stagnation is not only my favourite song off Trespass, but easily among my Top 10 of all of Genesis.

• Official Post

12 Points

It was one of the key tracks on the album, probably the most important one besides The Knife. Still, there are several tracks from all eras that I would rate higher, so 12 seems to be appropriate

• Please raise a glass with me:

Stagnation

"She looks at me and gently smiles, as if she knew I'd ask her all the time..."

• Lots of idea some of them a bit out of focus perhaps, some of the bits sound underdeveloped, some others overplayed, I personally chalk it up to their obvious inexperience. Still some brilliance definitely shines through and I love the general atmosphere. 11 points for me, 12 if I am feeling very nostalgic. I have a soft spot for Trespass.