PHIL COLLINS - Take Me Home

Year: 1985

Album: No Jacket Required [album review]

Working title: unknown

Credits: Collins

Lyrics: Yes

Length: 05:53

Musicians: Phil Collins, Daryl Stuermer, Sting, Peter Gabriel

Played Live: 1985, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2016

mp3 downloads:

Cover versions: none

Notes: There is hardly a song Phil Collins has played more often than Take Me Home. Since its release in 1985 it has been played as the closing song at almost all of Collins's live shows. Genesis fans may be interested to know that the backing vocals were sung by Peter Gabriel.

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread.

If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

...cried a voice in the crowd.

• A 13, one of Phil's best, enhanced by a good video, itself enhanced by him using an example of my dad's first car, a 100E Ford.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• One of my absolute favourites, aided by the wonderful video showing Phil at a host of familiar landmarks (including Sydney Harbour). I can't get enough of it. After ITAT this is the song I'm most looking forward to hearing next January. Outstanding.

• This would generally be considered the best song on NO JACKET REQUIRED (although I personally rate "We Said Hello Goodbye" a little higher).

Definitely a great song, but not perfect. To me, the line "I've been a prisoner all my life" sounds like it should be the first line of a short section (maybe just 4 lines long) that would be the emotional high point of the song. Instead, it just leads to the line "and I can see you," which sounds really anticlimactic to me.

Genesis fans may be interested to know that the backing vocals were sung by Peter Gabriel.

The full credit for backing vocals lists Peter Gabriel, Sting, Helen Terry & Phil.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• This is one of my favourite songs by Phil. I like the fact that the lyrics are a bit enigmatic and open to interpretation. My interpretation is that it might be from the perspective of someone with dementia in a long-term care facility. Many people with dementia don't have a memory and understanding of their current circumstances. They feel confused about why they are being kept in an unfamiliar place and simply want to go home. They often believe they are in an earlier period of their lives, when their spouse was alive, when they were still working (hence the discontinuity between verse 3 and the earlier verses).

Musically, I love the drone and repetitive rhythm mixed with some simple chords.

• This would generally be considered the best song on NO JACKET REQUIRED (although I personally rate "We Said Hello Goodbye" a little higher).

Definitely a great song, but not perfect. To me, the line "I've been a prisoner all my life" sounds like it should be the first line of a short section (maybe just 4 lines long) that would be the emotional high point of the song. Instead, it just leads to the line "and I can see you," which sounds really anticlimactic to me.

The full credit for backing vocals lists Peter Gabriel, Sting, Helen Terry & Phil.

It's 'and I can say to you'.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/tak…-lyrics-phil-collins.html

However I do agree that the line is unsatisfactory. Say what to you?

• It's 'and I can say to you'.

However I do agree that the line is unsatisfactory. Say what to you?

Dang, yet another thing I've always heard wrong. I'll have to listen again.

"Say what to you?" I guess the answer to that would be "take me home"!

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• A brilliant song - one of my fave's by Phil. Phil himself said in recent youtube interview with an Australian tv show that Take Me Home & Can't Turn Back The Years were his own personal favourite songs..

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I struggle to hear Sting and Peter Gabriel on the backing vocal. Can anyone separate the vocal track in the mix to isolate the vocals more clearly?

This is not a criticism, but the song has always reminded me of a jazzed up take on Peter Gabriel's 'Lead A Normal Life' off Gabriel IV

"She looks at me and gently smiles, as if she knew I'd ask her all the time..."

• At one point I was convinced I could hear Peter Gabriel clearly on the background vocals of TMH. But now I cant. I'd also love to hear those channels isolated. If only we could get a 5.1 mix of the Phil albums. Paging Nick Davis!

• The production of this song was incredible. My favorite song of No Jacket Required and the best song in the album (with We Said Hello Goodbye). The beat was incredible, the chorus very incredible, the vibe very haunting, the harmony of Sting and Peter Gabriel very fit in the chorus. A excellent song and her best single in the album.