16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

BRAND X - ...And So To F

Year: 1980

Album: Product [album review]

Working title: unknown

Credits: Collins, Lumley, Jones

Lyrics: None

Length: 06:28

Musicians: Percy Jones, Phil Collins, Robin Lumley, John Godsall, John Giblin

Played Live: 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1985

mp3 downloads:

Cover versions: none

Notes: Collins's soft spot for fusion music was channelled in Brand X. The fusion band existed with Collins in it until 1982. ...And So To F is one of their most popular tracks, and Collins would play it on his first two solo tours.

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread.

If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

• Product is a nice gateway album for someone who may not be all that keen on fusion but interested in Brand X.

" ...And So To F" is by far my favourite song on the album and probably the most melodic track recorded by that band

• I hadn't heard it. I had been putting this off, knowing that at some point my ignorance about Brand X would become obvious. It's OK, a lot like some of FranK Zappa's stuff. It isn't really my thing. I admire Phil for doing this though. So I gave it 8.

• Official Post

There's little to say about this one apart from - outstanding! I have always loves that track and was hoping to see it live during the more recent Collins tours.

• That's an outstanding track. It's a shame Phil didn't play that more often during later tours. I came across this on a bootleg recording quite some years ago. Took me some time to figure out it was a Brand X track. Full score!

• I voted outstanding. I believe I heard Phil play it with The Hot Tub Club before I heard the Brand X original. Either way, it's a thrilling arrangement.

After two tours, I suppose it was dropped because of its unfamiliarity to the larger audience. Plus, you can't keep everything in the set list (I was probably more bothered that Don't Let Him Steal Your Heart Away was dropped after the first tour) and with The Westside growing to the epic proportions that it enjoyed on the Serious tour, maybe Phil felt that the jazz fusion side of his music was already well represented.