My first Peter Gabriel concert

• Zitadelle, Mainz, Germany, June 17th 2007. Support was Charlie Winston, who became quite famous later. A friend of mine bought one of his albums after the show and got it signed by the artist.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• The finale of the "Conspiracy of Hope" stadium tour to benefit Amnesty International at Giants Stadium - June 15, 1986.

Also featuring at the show: Lou Reed, Bryan Adams, Miles Davis, Joni Mitchell, Howard Jones, U2, and The (briefly-reunited) Police - obviously a great day of music for a great cause.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Dec. 2, 2002, Air Canada Centre, Toronto

Considering my first Genesis and Hackett shows were in 1980, and I was a huge fan of Gabriel too, it is inexplicable to me why it took me so long to finally go see him (I've seen him a second time since).

I guess the stars just never aligned, maybe it was work or some other commitments that hindered me from going earlier.

• Official Post

10th November 1993, Dortmund Westfalenhalle

I wasn't even a real Gabriel fan back then. I remember buying the US album with great expectations, but it left me cold for a while. After the concert, I became a fan - and today US is my favorite of all Gabriel albums.

I have seen Peter plenty of times, 14 shows during the Growing Up Tour alone.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• 10th November 1993, Dortmund Westfalenhalle

I wasn't even a real Gabriel fan back then. I remember buying the US album with great expectations, but it left me cold for a while. After the concert, I became a fan - and today US is my favorite of all Gabriel albums.

I have seen Peter plenty of times, 14 shows during the Growing Up Tour alone.

I so regret missing the "Secret World" tour - at least a Blu-Ray of the show exists (and I love it). US is one of my personal favorites of his too - right up there with his third and fourth albums, IMHO.

The "Growing Up" tour was fantastic too! I saw that in Madison Square Garden. The image of his walking (rolling?) around the stage in that large plastic ball is forever seared in my memory! ^^

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Saw Peter for the first time on his tour with Sting in 2016. Both Genesis and the Police are two of my favorite bands. I’m also a huge fan of Stings solo stuff, particularly his first four albums, so I was really excited. It’s hard to pick who topped who at the show, both of them were on it that night. It was a huge tease having Sting sing Dancing with the Moonlit Knight while Peter was on the same stage haha. Those folks who saw Peter sing it the last night of the tour were really lucky.

• I saw Peter for 3 shows in Toronto on the So tour. The first two were in Maple Leaf Gardens and had close to identical setlists, except one had No Self Control. The third show was on another leg of the tour and included That Voice Again.

• 11.19.78 California Theater, San Diego was my first PG. They were sold out but luckily got tickets while hanging around the front entrance, from someone who had an extra. I saw Peter before the show standing by the back stage entrance but didn't want to bother him so I didn't speak to him (he was standing 5 feet in front of me while I was talking to one of his roadies). The show itself wasn't too good, not from Peter's stand point but rather the venue was really unsuited for a concert, to be blunt, it was a dump. Acoustics were horrible, Peter's microphone quit on him a couple of times. All in all, doesn't rank up there among the best shows I've attended. A recording DOES exist, sound quality fair.

Note: A comedian was Peter's warm up that night, he was booed off the stage 10 minutes into his act. Gabriel was angry at that (a roadie came out and said as much: "You have upset Peter Gabriel) and as such, delayed coming out for the amount of time it would have taken for the comic to finish his act.

• I've seen Peter a few times solo and with Genesis. Also with the Amnesty International all-star band (with Springsteen and Tracy Chapman) and once as a duo-bill with STING.

After the UP tour I also went to see Peter with the full Orchestra (New Blood Tour) which as a very unique experience indeed, loved "San Jacinto".

My first solo Gabriel concert was during the "melting face" tour on July 1980 at the Wollman Skating rink in Central Park New York.

The band wore all black jump suits and Peter emerged from the back of the audience singing his way to the front of the stage. The whole set list was only his material (no Genesis songs) from his first 3 albums. Incredible but David Rhodes and Tony Levin were already in his band. The drummer was Jerry Marotta and on keys it was Larry Fast. Excellent show, no special props but Peter always kept things interesting.

Edited 2 times, last by raeltheduke: added a PG concert ().

• My first was in 1983, at Selhurst Park (home to Crystal Palace FC). It was an all-day event, with Gaspar Lawal (I think...), the Undertones and the Thompson Twins as support. The Plays Live album had come out just a short time before (maybe a couple of weeks?). Phil Collins joined Jerry Marrotta (spelling?) on drums after a few tracks. A great experience; it was my first ever rock concert, and well worth the bus all the way from Cumbria and back. Remember buying a sweatshirt that’s long gone, but still have the programme kicking around somewhere. Weather was excellent too, from memory. Saw him again around 87\88 in Birmingham (NEC) and for a final time at Glastonbury, 1994, but that first gig was the best.