• Massive XTC fan here. Would be very glad to get some XTC and Partridge related waffle going in this thread.

But I'm away for the next week, so I can't get it going just yet.

If anyone's interested we could do an album by album discussion. Not necessarily in the chronological order.

• Massive XTC fan here. Would be very glad to get some XTC and Partridge related waffle going in this thread.

But I'm away for the next week, so I can't get it going just yet.

If anyone's interested we could do an album by album discussion. Not necessarily in the chronological order.

Excellent idea.

Abandon all reason

• I absolutely love XTC, have all their albums and their alter egos,the wonderful Dukes Of Stratosphear albums. If you haven't heard the Dukes do yourself a favour and give them a listen , they are well worth it. They released 2 albums but there is a recent reissue that has them both on " Chips From The Chocolate Fireball" and a more recent comp " Psurroundabout Ride" which has the 2 albums and some extra tracks :)

I actually only saw XTC live once, in Liverpool on the 8th December 1980, the day one of my heroes, John lennon died :( Needless to say it was an emotional day and of course XTC were superb.

Hard to pick a fav album but if I had to it would be Black Sea but they have not released one album i do not love.

They must be the most underrated band of all time, I think it was only Andy Partridge's stage fright which held them back.

• Chips From The Chocolate Fireball was released at the same time as Psonic Psunspot. The first album came out on vinyl only, Came out a month before I bought my first CD player, but when the second one came out, it was only on vinyl too, but the CD had both albums on it, so I bought that. But you are right, it was reissued a few years back, and the Psurroundsound Ride is complete.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Used to be a big fan of xtc in the early 80'.. always seemed to bring something different to the table. Not listened to them for a while but after reading the comments, thought i must listen again . Reminded me if how good they were and indeed a great listen/reminder.

Have heard Partridge a few times on 6 radio, and seems to do a fair bit of songwriting for others 👍

• As someone who actually got to see them on stage you are a sainted person in my view. I am inhaling your message, from which I draw strength. And what a memory, that the event took place the day of Lennon's death. Given what a Beatles disciple Partridge is, he must have had something to say.

My top Dukes songs are Your Gold Dress and Pale & Precious.

Black Sea for me too. It is indeed very difficult to pick out one album and so many of theirs push all my buttons, I even think some of the later ones were better in some respects but for various personal reasons Black Sea, while probably not their best, is my favourite.

Abandon all reason

• Have heard Partridge a few times on 6 radio, and seems to do a fair bit of songwriting for others 👍

He's great value in interviews, such a smart chap.

I once chatted with someone from Swindon who'd met AP a few times. He said you didn't know which version you were going to get - the chummy, witty one who'd happily have a pint with you and entertainingly shoot the breeze, or the darker, challenging, cutting, acid-tongued one you best steer clear of. But then, he's firmly in the category of people I hugely admire but wouldn't especially want to spend time with. Just enjoying his work is enough for me. (Though that said, I had some nice exchanges with him on twitter before he left it, including one about Genesis! Talking about one of my favourite groups with the main writer from one of my other favourite groups nearly blew my mind).

Abandon all reason

• I had no familiarity with this band before, but discovering them now because of this thread. Currently have Skylarking on. Really enjoy what I'm hearing so far.

You've gone straight to the one that's usually cited as their standout album. Nice to hear it's clicking with you. For two very different experiences - both in a good way, and should you feel inspired to explore further - would be found in The Big Express and Apple Venus.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Thomas Dolby! Here in the states he’s a one hit wonder! She blinded ME with science!!

• Thomas Dolby! Here in the states he’s a one hit wonder! She blinded ME with science!!

Sadly he's not far beyond that here in his home country. I say 'sadly' as I think he deserved better.

His excellent book The Speed of Sound doesn't hide his bitterness and regret at aspects of his music career. As you may know he then went on to licence synth technology and polyphonic ringtones to phone companies. His account of that is also in his book and is a bit of an eye-opener at times.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Sadly he's not far beyond that here in his home country. I say 'sadly' as I think he deserved better.

His excellent book The Speed of Sound doesn't hide his bitterness and regret at aspects of his music career. As you may know he then went on to licence synth technology and polyphonic ringtones to phone companies. His account of that is also in his book and is a bit of an eye-opener at times.

I didn’t know all that about him. Interesting.

• You've gone straight to the one that's usually cited as their standout album. Nice to hear it's clicking with you. For two very different experiences - both in a good way, and should you feel inspired to explore further - would be found in The Big Express and Apple Venus.

Thanks for the tips, will definitely check them out. Funny this band completely flew under my radar, they're great. Makes me wonder what else I've missed!