STEVE HACKETT - Till We Have Faces (review added)

• Official Post

Hi everybody

We have added another review to our website. This time it's not a new or current release, but Steve's 1984 solo album Till We Have Faces.

It's probably one of his less popular solo albums. But this was reason enough for Thomas Jesse to give the album a further listening ...

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…es-album-review-s389.html

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Thoughts in response to the review:

Till We Have Faces is frequently described as Hackett’s weakest album, worse even than Cured.

I've never understood the unpopularity of this album. I first heard it when it was new and fell in love with it right away.

The cover artwork by Kim Poor resembles images of dead souls being ferried across the Styx to Hades, the realm of the dead, though it was, in fact, based on the Genesis song Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats

I've always thought that the album, the cover and the title didn't really fit with each other.

A Doll That Made In Japan 7´ (backed with: Doll instrumental) and 12´ (backed with: Just The Bones)

I think "Just The Bones" and the instrumental version of "Doll" (or the extended 12" version which adds the instrumental version to the end of the album version) are the only Steve tracks to be released on vinyl but never on CD (well, besides that one WOLFLIGHT bonus track).

Original release / CD releases from 1994 onwards

The review doesn't mention one key difference between the original and later versions: the first part of "Matilda" has been heavily modified on the later version. I have both the original and later versions of the album on CD, but I only listen to the original version. However, I did include the modified "Matilda" in a custom "miscellaneous Steve tracks" collection I put together.

What’s My Name is definitely a highlight on the album and a great opening song.

I agree that WMN is a good song but I don't think it belongs as an opening track. The percussion intro is interesting and the chorus is great but Steve's vocals are substandard on the verses.

Let Me Count The Ways

My favorite track on the album. I especially like the drumming.

The Gulf - Compare this to the version on Feedback 86 / Stadiums Of The Damned

The FACES version of "Gulf" differs from the FEEDBACK version as follows: (1) FACES version is missing a brief acoustic guitar intro heard in the FEEDBACK version; (2) FACES version is faded about 45 seconds earlier than FEEDBACK version; (3) FACES adds choral vocals to the "maybe it's the will of the Lord" parts. In my book a perfect version of the song would have the intro, the longer fade and the choral vocals. (I could put that together with audio editing software if I really wanted to!)

I don't think there's any recognizable difference in "Stadiums" between FACES & FEEDBACK, so I just listen to it on the latter album. However, the FACES version of "Gulf" has a place on my "miscellaneous Steve tracks" collection.

We should, perhaps, take it as a first... foray into the area of world music.

I remember how Paul Simon's GRACELAND got credit for being a "pioneering" foray into world music -- four two years after Steve had done something similar with FACES.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited 3 times, last by DecomposingMan ().

• Re Graceland - well, two years wasn't it? But yes, sometimes you'd think Graceland was the first ever instance of anything vaguely non-western in western music. It feels like there's been a few instances of elements of "world music" (a term I dislike) in western rock and pop being greeted by exclamations of how "pioneering" it is.

Faces isn't an album I'm too keen on, overall. It has its moments. I agree with you DecomposingMan that on the re-arranged version, What's My Name is a poor choice of opening track. It's not a bad track in itself, but it's absolutely not an opener and I found that decision very odd.

Abandon all reason

• We should, perhaps, take it as a first... foray into the area of world music.

I remember how Paul Simon's GRACELAND got credit for being a "pioneering" foray into world music -- four two years after Steve had done something similar with FACES.

Well, if we want to go there, Peter has already started toying with that on PG3&4.Wasn't the highly financially unsuccessful WOMAD Festival in 82?

• Well, if we want to go there, Peter has already started toying with that on PG3&4.

Well, I wouldn't claim that FACES was the first rock foray into "world music," just that it preceded the much-publicized GRACELAND.

I recall hearing part of a GRACELAND song (I wouldn't know which one), and it sounded almost exactly like part of "Matilda."

• In response to Decomposing Man:

Just the bones is a great track, would've been happy if it were on the album. I have digitized it if you need a copy.

Matilda is better in it's original form, I have both on my Walkman as part of one album,

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Well, I wouldn't claim that FACES was the first rock foray into "world music," just that it preceded the much-publicized GRACELAND.

I recall hearing part of a GRACELAND song (I wouldn't know which one), and it sounded almost exactly like part of "Matilda."

Graceland was indeed highly-publicized and imo rightly so. It is a fantastic album, hardly a weak song there. Being the massive success it was, it did a lot to encourage musicians to go down that path.

• Just the bones is a great track, would've been happy if it were on the album. I have digitized it if you need a copy.

Thanks for the offer. However, I've had a digital copy for years (along with many other odds and ends by various artists that were never released digitally). I just find it odd that Steve never gave it a proper digital release himself.

• Thanks for the offer. However, I've had a digital copy for years (along with many other odds and ends by various artists that were never released digitally). I just find it odd that Steve never gave it a proper digital release himself.

I agree. Surely it could have been a bonus track by now, or put on the upcoming box set.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!