"Spectral Mornings 2015" (feat. David Longdon on vocals)

• Official Post

A bit more than three years ago a new version of Steve Hackett's classic instrumental track Spectral Mornings was recorded with vocals. Rob Reed had the idea and contacted David Longdon to sing it. David eventually came up with the lyrics. Additional musicians on this version are Nick D'Virgilio (drums), Nick Beggs (bass) and Christina Booth (additional vocals) and of curse Steve Hackett (guitar).

The EP was released in 2015 by Esoteric to support Parkinsons Society UK.

I quite like this version and the way David had added his vocals / a melody to this Hackett classic.

It is still available on CD or as a digital EP:

digital: iTunes

CD: amazon-UK | amazon-fr | amazon-it

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• One of me favorite Steve's tracks to begin with. I generally tend to dislike instrumentals re-arranged with vocals but I think they did a fine job here and I really like David's voice.

• I found this version surprisingly quite moving - and being already a fan of Big Big Train, it lit a fire under me to check out the combined works from the two other key contributors who are both from the band Magenta.

• I agree with these bits of your post

One of me favorite Steve's tracks to begin with. I generally tend to dislike instrumentals re-arranged with vocals

but our views diverge after that. It's great they did it for such a good cause, kudos to them for that but the version itself does absolutely nothing for me. It's such a favourite track in its original form, the vocal remake feels wrong in every way, and it doesn't help that I'm not keen on BBT or Longdon.

Abandon all reason

• it doesn't help that I'm not keen on BBT or Longdon.

No, I guess it doesn't but to be clear, the version is no match for the original and I always feel the same with any vocals added on originally instrumental song. I just happen to think it is less cringeworthy than other attempts and it probably helps that I am a fan of BBT.

• I just happen to think it is less cringeworthy than other attempts

Hahaha! I can just see that as a quote, like you see on promo posters and magazine ads etc - "Less cringeworthy than other attempts" - Fabrizio.

One of my favourite pieces of music, Soul Coaxing by the Raymond Lefevre Orchestra, is a reverse of this, in being an instrumental version of a vocal song, Ame Caline by Michel Polnareff.

Abandon all reason

• Hahaha! I can just see that as a quote, like you see on promo posters and magazine ads etc - "Less cringeworthy than other attempts" - Fabrizio.

Well, now you can see why I never made it a music critic or exec. Note to self: start using the word ''seminal'' more.

• Well, now you can see why I never made it a music critic or exec. Note to self: start using the word ''seminal'' more.

To really sound like a critic make sure you call self titled albums 'eponymous'. Genesis' eponymous album features Mama... etc. Peter Gabriel's four eponymous albums.... sorry, off topic.