re-issues in the near future?

• My daughter doesn't listen to CDs at all. She watches lyric videos on YouTube. She doesn't even watch the actual videos (e.g. she likes Games Without Frontiers, but doesn't watch the official video). I assume she sometimes listens to music on her phone.

• My daughter doesn't listen to CDs at all. She watches lyric videos on YouTube. She doesn't even watch the actual videos (e.g. she likes Games Without Frontiers, but doesn't watch the official video). I assume she sometimes listens to music on her phone.

I'm going to sound old here, but I do agree that some of the things kids "these days" watch on YouTube and TikTok really baffles me; Both my sons will spend hours watching youtube videos of OTHER kids playing video games LOL! Meanwhile, my daughter (who is very "arts and crafty") will sit and watch videos of moms packing fancy lunches for their kids, or making dollhouses out of shoeboxes or something-for as long as we'll let her watch!

Then again, all their boring dad watches on Youtube is concert videos and 'how the ______ war started' type stuff-so I guess I'm not much better HAHAHA!

My oldest is ten, obsessed with Taylor Swift. We stopped her once as we were leaving the house to go to a cabin in Maine with no wi fi. She had an Alexa (or echo dot I think) under arm as she wanted to listen to music at the cabin. We had to explain to her that the music was not actually in the little Alexa device and it wouldn't work up there. The ask for Christmas was for something that could play music without internet. I got a discman and 4 of the albums on CD. She thought it was the best thing ever! I think her next move is to ask for speakers. The ear buds it came with are pretty basic.

I'm curious to see if the appeal of being completely independent of wifi will stick going forward. And if I can sneak CDs of albums I like her way 😀.

Yes, we're off topic. Erm... If the Genesis albums get reissued soon I'll buy them and let her borrow one. Maybe Abacab or self-titled would work.

• This is me as well - I just turned 43, and a couple years ago I got into vinyl. At first for sound quality reasons, but over the two years it has also become for nostalgic reasons-as I listen to all the music my parents did, and NOW I'm listening to it on the FORMAT they did LOL!

As for TV, we went all-streaming about a year ago and are loving it-although it's slowly becoming more and more like cable anyway. But I still have an extensive blu ray collection, as I am a bit picky with the HD visual (with no signal degradation) and surround sound audio quality of my favorite movies-so I will always watch those thru physical media.

But I agree, I feel like in this fast paced world, more and more people are valuing the concept of slowing down, and taking time to listen to and appreciate their music more-and enjoying ways that they can physically connect to their music. For some younger people, they've never experienced that before-so it's understandable how they could find a new and tangible way of enjoying media enjoyable. My kids (middle school age) are just completely fascinated by my record collection and player, and the idea that the music is all stored on that big black disc LOL!

BTW: "enshittification" HAHAHAHAHA!! I'm totally going to use that word LOL!

Me three/too. WI'll be 40 this year. Love my CDs. Not giving them up for the enshittified. good word.

• Me three/too. WI'll be 40 this year. Love my CDs. Not giving them up for the enshittified. good word.

To add to the above commentary on streaming vs physical media, I just learned something new on Twitter that adds a LOT of fuel to argument in favor of owning physical media, for me. Apparently when old TV shows are added to streaming platforms, they strip a lot of the original songs out so they don't have to pay for them. They get replaced by muzak of some sort. I can't say I've noticed, since I haven't rewatched a show from my childhood, like the x files, on streaming yet. Thankfully now I know never to. The only good example I saw online was replacing In The Air Tonight on Miami Vice with some awful sounding generic fluff.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• To add to the above commentary on streaming vs physical media, I just learned something new on Twitter that adds a LOT of fuel to argument in favor of owning physical media, for me. Apparently when old TV shows are added to streaming platforms, they strip a lot of the original songs out so they don't have to pay for them. They get replaced by muzak of some sort. I can't say I've noticed, since I haven't rewatched a show from my childhood, like the x files, on streaming yet. Thankfully now I know never to. The only good example I saw online was replacing In The Air Tonight on Miami Vice with some awful sounding generic fluff.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This doesn't entirely solve the problem though. Sometimes, songs get changed on DVD/Blu-Ray releases due to rights issues. Couple of examples I can think of: A Pointer Sisters track changed for another Pointer Sisters track in some film or TV show, can't recall what. (Think I'd prefer the muzak), and an episode of "Life On Mars" (UK TV show) where a track called "When The City Sleeps" by Bombadil (actually Barclay James Harvest!) is substituted by "The Story In Your Eyes" by the Moody Blues.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• This doesn't entirely solve the problem though. Sometimes, songs get changed on DVD/Blu-Ray releases due to rights issues. Couple of examples I can think of: A Pointer Sisters track changed for another Pointer Sisters track in some film or TV show, can't recall what. (Think I'd prefer the muzak), and an episode of "Life On Mars" (UK TV show) where a track called "When The City Sleeps" by Bombadil (actually Barclay James Harvest!) is substituted by "The Story In Your Eyes" by the Moody Blues.

Yes but if it mostly solves the problem (and it's really more of a disproportionate irritation!) I'll be happy. Since I don't have a bank of VHS recorded from the original TV airings back in the day.

• I made great musical discoveries through YouTube. Thus I learnt of the existence of some of my favourite singers and bands (Daryl Braithwaite and Sam Brown, among others). Whenever I find an artist with a song on YouTube that I like very much, I try to buy the CD. But I do not watch YouTube videos of folks watching other folks playing videogames or folks listening a song for the first time, 90% of what I see on YouTube are music videos.