STEVE HACKETT - European Tour 2019

• Official Post

Steve will tour Europe in 2019, performing Selling England in its entirety and highlights from Spectral Mornings and his new album.

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…and-ticket-info-s685.html

• I'm hanging on for about 10 years for the Steve Hackett Genesis Odd-Numbered Tracks Tour.

Actually, I'll settle for a Steve Hackett Plays Steve Hackett Tour, like what he used to do.

But that's just me, I of course realise many fans love these Genesis tours he does, especially if they never got to see Genesis, and appreciate him keeping the flame burning. But I do keep mentally willing him to do a tour of solely his own material.

You certainly can't fault his work rate, that's for sure.

Interesting all the dates are post-brexit as it's currently scheduled. I've heard some musicians who regularly tour EU countries say there's no clarity about how work permits are going to operate, and that Fripp has suspended Crimson tours until after it's all been confirmed.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Interesting all the dates are post-brexit as it's currently scheduled. I've heard some musicians who regularly tour EU countries say there's no clarity about how work permits are going to operate, and that Fripp has suspended Crimson tours until after it's all been confirmed.

Don't you just hate it when politics gets in the way of art? :)

As for Steve, I suspect he would prefer to play his material too. Evidently there are other factors to be taken into consideration.

• Official Post

There are two things to consider

First this is, of course, the fact that Steve has realized this brings more fans to the shows.

Second: He simply loves to play that stuff and wave the flag - and no-one else from his former band mates does it that way.

But he also said a while ago that pure Genesis Revisited shows will be an exception. After 2015 he didn't do that anymore apart from special occasions. Since then, his shows consist of Genesis and Hackett material, and he has brought back some nice stuff to his set, such as The Steppes, Icarus Ascending etc.

• Steve will tour Europe in 2019, performing Selling England in its entirety and highlights from Spectral Mornings and his new album.

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…and-ticket-info-s685.html

THAT is a tour I want to see - my favorite 5-man Genesis album paired with my favorite Hackett solo album. He'll have to make his new album extra good just to measure up... ;)

I hope it makes it to North America summer/autumn next year - that, or the orchestral tour like he did in the UK. I'd take either/both. ^^

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• First this is, of course, the fact that Steve has realized this brings more fans to the shows.

Second: He simply loves to play that stuff and wave the flag - and no-one else from his former band mates does it that way.

Well, no one else from his former band does it, period. Apart perhaps from Ray but that to me is another story.

• Well, no one else from his former band does it, period. Apart perhaps from Ray but that to me is another story.

Certainly not to anything like the same extent. Collins of course is doing some Genesis but just 3 or 4.

I was surprised and amused in equal measure when Gabriel said he wanted to do Supper's Ready on his 07 tour (he apparently faced open rebellion by his band and quickly dropped the idea).

Abandon all reason

• I was surprised and amused in equal measure when Gabriel said he wanted to do Supper's Ready on his 07 tour (he apparently faced open rebellion by his band and quickly dropped the idea).

I am a huge PG fan but quite frankly, I stopped listening to him when he talks about possible Genesis reunions or solo albums for that matter, loooooong ago.

He, of course is at a point in his career, when he is more than entitled to do as he pleases. He had his say, received critical praises and enjoyed commercial success. The whole package. He was highly contradictory and frankly a bit haughty when he tried to explain why he wasn't interested in a Reunion. as he was more interested in looking forward than back. It would have made sense, if he hadn't then released an album with 10-years old songs in some cases already released on other albums i.e. Sky Blue and I Grieve and then a couple of orchestral, cover albums. Way to look forward Pete! Just do you thing, you don't owe any explanation, particularly when it's a ridiculous one.

As for Steve, playing Genesis, perhaps it's the cynic in me but I have the feeling the considerations behind it are purely financial ones.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• I am a huge PG fan but quite frankly, I stopped listening to him when he talks about possible Genesis reunions or solo albums for that matter, loooooong ago.

He, of course is at a point in his career, when he is more than entitled to do as he pleases. He had his say, received critical praises and enjoyed commercial success. The whole package. He was highly contradictory and frankly a bit haughty when he tried to explain why he wasn't interested in a Reunion. as he was more interested in looking forward than back. It would have made sense, if he hadn't then released an album with 10-years old songs in some cases already released on other albums i.e. Sky Blue and I Grieve and then a couple of orchestral, cover albums. Way to look forward Pete! Just do you thing, you don't owe any explanation, particularly when it's a ridiculous one.

As for Steve, playing Genesis, perhaps it's the cynic in me but I have the feeling the considerations behind it are purely financial ones.

Ooh-er. I didn't realise I was going to touch such a sensitive nerve! ;) In some ways I agree with you, artists should do what they feel they wish to do and when, and it's up to fans to go along with them or not. But as a fan of an artist who has so often been so forward-looking, I am frustrated by his retrospection since the last album especially as he indicated that a reason for declining the Genesis reunion was the need to focus on new work, none of which has surfaced bar a few sporadic new songs.

Re Hackett, touring seems to be the main moneyspinner for musicians and in his case I presume it does indeed pull in more punters when he does tours with some kind of Genesis focus. As I said above, I totally get why it has such appeal. The lure of Spectral Mornings material was almost enough to pull me in on this next tour but then I remembered last year's show and Nad Sylvan, and the possibility he might sneak Hierophant in yet again, so no I'm well out of this one.

Abandon all reason

• Ooh-er. I didn't realise I was going to touch such a sensitive nerve! ;) In some ways I agree with you, artists should do what they feel they wish to do and when, and it's up to fans to go along with them or not. But as a fan of an artist who has so often been so forward-looking, I am frustrated by his retrospection since the last album especially as he indicated that a reason for declining the Genesis reunion was the need to focus on new work, none of which has surfaced bar a few sporadic new songs.

Re Hackett, touring seems to be the main moneyspinner for musicians and in his case I presume it does indeed pull in more punters when he does tours with some kind of Genesis focus. As I said above, I totally get why it has such appeal. The lure of Spectral Mornings material was almost enough to pull me in on this next tour but then I remembered last year's show and Nad Sylvan, and the possibility he might sneak Hierophant in yet again, so no I'm well out of this one.

Not all, I made my peace with it long ago I guess when it happened. I guess was still in that fan- phase when your idols can do no wrong either artistically, or personally but he sort of lost me with how he handled, that reunion thing, the meeting in Scotland and subsequent not very clever remarks. Not because he didn't go with the flow and abided by what fans expected from him but because he was being incoherent and quite high-handed.

Then there was the Live 8 thing where again he was imo simply cantankerous.

I don't judge Steve for wanting to lure more people and milk Genesis for that purpose, fans enjoy it and why shouldn't they? I just think we could avoid the : ''keeping the flame alive'' and such sort of comments. This is a group he left because he wasn't given much space and his contribution was heavily underappreciated and undermined. He had to fight to squeeze in some guitar parts and then not to be buried in the final mix. I cannot know for sure but I have the feeling if he could avoid playing that, he'd do it.

• Official Post

Four Italian dates were added to the tour schedule

• Mixed feelings on this. I too would like to get back to Hackett material tours, but I think we'll have to accept those days are gone. I don't blame Steve for chasing the lucrative path, he has every right, but as it seems to be making his solo work suffer, I'd rather he didn't.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• The tour planning is a bit messy... there are huge geographical gaps from day to day. This means you will not get three dates anywhere in the same country.

Germany looks the easiest but its either Stuttgart - Munich (or the other way around)

Or

Essen, day off, Zoetermeer x 2 (standing only concert)?

Other than that, its try the UK or Ireland if any dates are released soon.

Mark

• Official Post

Essen, my old home town, has a beautiful venue. Comes probably close to old British theatres.

Zoetermeer is a tiny venue, I assume it's standing only.

• Sadly ;(, I've never seen Genesis live and never will, but have been to 2 Steve Hackett concerts. On both occasions hearing Genesis played in a live tour, did make my hairs tingle. Steve incorporates the best musicians around for his band.

Hearing SEBTP in it's entirety live would be quite a thrill to go and see. 8)