What was your first Steve Hackett show?

• First show was Spectral Mornings tour on 24th June at The Liverpool Empire. Still one of the greatest shows I have ever been to.

I did record it and as far as I know it was made available for all to enjoy.

Best wishes

John

• Official Post

sometimes I envy people who are that old ;)

Mine was Cologne 2003 - To Watch The Storms Tour ...

• It would have been late 1980. It gives me goosebumps to recall that gig at The Roxy on Sunset Strip in Hollywood. Nick Magnus on keys and of course John Hackett on flute. Magic in the air. Great memory.

• 31st October 1979 Odeon Birmingham. He was superb, tracks like Tigermoth and Clocks were so atmospheric. The band were having fun and the drums thundered all night. One of the best gigs I have been to by any band.

• Official Post

Well, then the 2019 tour should bring back some memories :)

• Indeed, bit worried that Tigermoth is instrumental, I thought Nad would do a good job on that and I think the vocal section is so evocative. Nevertheless it should be a great night

• Official Post

I also remember that Steve's manager took me backstage after the show. I had just joined the editor team of the German Genesis Fanclub a year prior to that and it was a great thing to talk to the guys.

we were so young ....

• In the nineties it wasn't that easy to see Steve live. I live in Germany, and I remember that after Guitar Noir a concert in Hamburg (Fabrik) was announced, but it seems it didn't come about. In the mid 90ies there was I think an acoustic gig in Cologne (Tanzbrunnen) which I couldn't attend. Then in 1997 when I had a ten week stay in England, Steve was announced special guest of a John Wetton concert that took place in Wilbarston hall. Wilbarston is a little nook near Market Harborough near Leicester, nit too easy to get to by public transport ... This was the first time I saw Steve. Afterwards all the musicians could be met and talked to in the lobby, and I asked Steve a question about the Genesis Revisited version of FOF and had him sign the recently published GTR live album.

In years to come I attended quite a few Hackett gigs, particularly before that GR II hype. On one occasion in Luxemburg I went to see the acoustic trio, but hadn't ordered a ticket in advance. I was surprised it was sold out (which was not so usual then), but Billy Budis, his then manager, left his seat to me which was very kind.

• Quote from Backdrifter

Do you remember the unfunny comedian support act with a ferret glove puppet? All I can recall is the puppet 'saying' "Shut up or I'll nibble your bollocks off." He then briefly came on during SH's set as well.

Yes, I remember him.

I don't recall much of the act, just the puppet. When 'The Young Ones' started a couple of years later, I wondered if he had anything to do with SPG, Vyvyan's hamster.

After all these years, question answered.

I've just seen a Q&A with Steve on Facebook where he was asked the name of the 'rat ventriloquist'. The answer was "The rat’s name was Magritte. The ventriloquist was Andy Cunningham."

Looking at Andy Cunnigham's wiki entry, there was no mention of his supporting Steve, or having anything to do with 'The Young Ones', but it turns out he was the
    creator and main writer of the children's BBC television series, 'Bodger & Badger', which I never saw, but remember my sons talking about.

• First and only time so far was April 20th 2019, Stuttgart. It was a birthday gift to myself - I had been sitting on the fence to go see Steve Hackett for years, I didn't have too much money for years - then he performed the entire Selling England album and I just HAD to see it. It was fantastic and I would love to see more shows.

• After all these years, question answered.

I've just seen a Q&A with Steve on Facebook where he was asked the name of the 'rat ventriloquist'. The answer was "The rat’s name was Magritte. The ventriloquist was Andy Cunningham."

Looking at Andy Cunnigham's wiki entry, there was no mention of his supporting Steve, or having anything to do with 'The Young Ones', but it turns out he was the
    creator and main writer of the children's BBC television series, 'Bodger & Badger', which I never saw, but remember my sons talking about.

Hahaha! Brilliant. Thanks for coming back with the info after all this time!

And a rat, not a ferret. For 40 years I thought it was a ferret. Think how different my life would have been if I'd known all along it was in fact a puppet rat.

Erm... actually, probably not different at all. Mind you, there's always been this theory that one tiny alteration can lead incrementally to significant changes later in life, so you never know...

Abandon all reason