Which are the Famous bands other then Genesis?

• Genesis is the world wide famous music band. What are the other music bands much popular? I can add a simple short list.

1. AC/DC

2. Arcade Fire

3. Arctic Monkeys

4. Biffy Clyro

5. Bloc Party

6. Blur

7. Coldplay

8. Courteeners

9. Doves

10. Editors

This is simple and very short competitors list. You can add more answers below here:).

• While I absolutely love Doves - kudos to you on that one! - they couldn't reasonably be included on a World Famous Bands list, nor could Courteneers, Arctic Monkeys or Biffy. I'd include U2 and the Rolling Stones.

Abandon all reason

• I am a unclear what you mean by "world wide famous music band". Many of the ones you list are not at all well known in countries around the world. For example, Biffy Clyro has really only had a presence in the UK and hasn't registered much at all in North America. The Courteneers, Doves, and Editors have had also some presence in Europe in addition to the UK, but that hardly counts as "world wide famous".

AC/DC and Coldplay in your list are the only ones that are closer to Genesis at their peak popularity. I agree with Backdrifter that U2 and The Rolling Stones would be also examples. There are many others that have the same stature that are either disbanded or largely just touring based on their history like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd. The Who, The Eagles, etc. In terms of bands that have wide popularity that are still very active artistically, there are relatively few: Radiohead, The Foo Fighters. However, this is really the era of single artists being "world wide famous": Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, etc.

• For me which has to be in the Wide World fame are:

The Beatles

Pink Floyd

Supertramp

Marillion

Yes

Kate Bush

Carpenters

Eagles

I would like to add Camel in this list, though they have a world fan base, not everyone has heard of them compared to the others.

• The Carpenters?! May I ask why? As for Kate Bush, much as I love her, she wasn't all that successful world wide.

The only name from the OP list I would include are AC/DC. I have not even heard of Courteneers or Editors.

My list is:

Beatles

Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Eagles

Dire Straits

U2

Metallica

Queen

I included Dire Straits for my own pleasure & U2 & Metallica because they are too big to be ignored.

• I think the gist of the OP was, what artists should be included in the same category of worldwide fame as Genesis at their most popular. By that reckoning I can't see how Marillion could possibly be included, maybe not even Supertramp and certainly not Camel. I'd agree with FeelItComing that The Carpenters and KB wouldn't 'qualify' either, and Dr. John is right that there are solo global megastars such as those he listed as well as GaGa, Madonna, etc.

Abandon all reason