Nursery Cryme

• Cottage?

Yes, the one TLLDOB was recorded in, as it was that album I was discussing when I referred to it. Read back over the thread, all will become clear. We'd wandered off topic onto production values.

Ian

There is a church bell

That rings on the hour

Filling the streets

Stopping the world awhile

• Yes, the one TLLDOB was recorded in, as it was that album I was discussing when I referred to it. Read back over the thread, all will become clear. We'd wandered off topic onto production values.

Ah right, it might have thrown me as I always thought of Headley Grange as a big house while mention of a cottage confused me into thinking of Christmas Cottage. Yeah I'm sure the dark atmosphere there they've often described had an effect on the music and the sound.

Abandon all reason

• Ah right, it might have thrown me as I always thought of Headley Grange as a big house while mention of a cottage confused me into thinking of Christmas Cottage. Yeah I'm sure the dark atmosphere there they've often described had an effect on the music and the sound.

Phil tells a great story about them writing The Waiting Room at Headley Grange. In fact, the stories of the band's experiences in that place are almost as fascinating as the music that they created there.

• I thought it was Trespass, not Nursery Cryme, that was rehearsed at The Maltings, the cottage owned by a family friend.

They wrote and rehearsed for about six months in Christmas Cottage in Wotton near Dorking, which was owned by Richard Macphail's parents. That's where Trespass was written and rehearsed. The Maltings is in the centre of Farnham, an old maltings that at the time was disused but shortly after was renovated as an arts centre. They began rehearsing there just after Phil joined. Nursery Cryme was rehearsed and partially written at Luxford House, near Crowborough on East Sussex - Tony Stratton-Smith was renting it at the time. There's a picture of it in the gatefold sleeve of Van der Graaf's Pawn Hearts.