Genesis on Facebook

• I am a member of Genesis - The Movement & Genesis Fans Community. I used to be members of Phil Collins & Peter Gabriel groups until I found that the sole purpose of both groups was to deride the 'opposing' artist. The Gabriel group, sad to say, was particularly virulent in its dislike of Collins.

As for the actual pages I follow all the official ones plus this site's page, Krissy's Banskian Bliss page, the Musical Brick page which has a lot of Genesis content, The Daily Phil (which is your page I believe CW), Tabletop Genesis & Duchess - A Genesis Fanpage and The Genesis Archive.

• I am a member of Genesis - The Movement & Genesis Fans Community. I used to be members of Phil Collins & Peter Gabriel groups until I found that the sole purpose of both groups was to deride the 'opposing' artist. The Gabriel group, sad to say, was particularly virulent in its dislike of Collins.

LOL, there's a segment of that which creeps into any Genesis discussion board unfortunately.

I'm a member of three different Genesis fan sites and one Steve Hackett fan site.

I'm not very active on any of them, to be honest.

Postings from the Movement site pop up more regularly when I'm surfing Facebook than postings from the other three, so invariably, that's the one I'm a little more active on.

• Thanks, I’ll check some of those out. I’m on the Steve Hackett Appreciation Society, Genesis the Movement, Genesis Access All Eras (which I like) and Peter Gabriel Fans. And yes, The Daily Phil is mine. I enjoy searching for pictures.

• I agree with pretty much everything that's already been mentioned.

My favourite is probably Genesis - Access All Eras, and The Movement is great for news and bootlegs. Meek's Genesis cafe group often comes up with new videos, so it's worth a follow as well.

• Official Post

Problem with Facebook-Groups is

you don't have a decent archive, things tend to be repeated and several people are trolling around. It also looks like these groups do have a problem with people who just know nothing about the band ;)

but seriously, I have always been a member of the movement. It's not easy to follow the postings anyway.

And, we do have our own group on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1520131374952012/

• I have quit Facebook a while ago. Used to be a member of the movement and access all eras as well, and in addition some others I can't really remember. I have no idea why people ran away from forums to be part of facebook groups. It's posted and forgotten, there is no archive to check etc.

• Yeah, with a photo page you don’t have all the same problems. People can comment on the photos or like them, but you don’t get strong opinions. I think I did turn off messaging when some crazy guy wouldn’t leave me alone and was basically using it to ask invasive questions.

• I have actually posted here less since a certain member attacked me for no reason.

You do get trolls and people attacking on Facebook but there are usually so many members and so much activity that it doesn’t feel too personal.

• I have actually posted here less since a certain member attacked me for no reason.

That's a shame, I understand your reaction but while we are of course different in how we react to things, no other members' comments should cause any of us to back away.

As I said earlier I had a very brief dalliance with FB but felt I got nothing from it so left. Subsequently, some shocking behaviour on their part simply convinced me I'd done the right thing. And I'm not even talking about Cambridge Analytica, I'm referring to stuff well before that invoving their refusal to remove pages celebrating - yes, CELEBRATING - violence against women. What a vile, amoral organisation. I want nothing to do with them.

Abandon all reason

• Yeah, with a photo page you don’t have all the same problems. People can comment on the photos or like them, but you don’t get strong opinions. I think I did turn off messaging when some crazy guy wouldn’t leave me alone and was basically using it to ask invasive questions.

I'm sorry to hear that. You are perhaps already aware under preferances you can block specific people from messaging you or from even seeing your posts.

Edited 2 times, last by Witchwood ().

• Facebook groups, I find, provide a convenient means of sharing fleeting information, such as news on an upcoming tour, a newly released recording or someone posting a photo from a concert they went to the other day.

Forums like this, IMO, are better suited for actual conversations that have a bit more volume to them and ones that can go on for days.

• A Facebook group costs nothing to set up, takes no responsibility and is often run by those who are buddies / friends of people.

The moment you provide an alternative view, question someone's knowledge or can clearly see thus explain someone lying... your labelled and then binned. How weird, because in the real world people stand up for standards, they don't tolerate lies, they embrace knowledge and accept a challenge.

So Facebook groups leave a lot to be desired.

T_G_A

• I wasn't aware there was a group for this site. I've just asked to join!

• I agree. The only upside to Facebook is the activity level and the instant networking possibilities.

All in all, I've always preferred 'old-fashioned' message boards, I just wish more people used them too.

• I’ve found that even message boards can often be unfair. Many times the moderators are all of one mind and can take the side of some of the more abrasive group members, even if they violate rules.

Not referring to this group, of course.

• That's a shame, I understand your reaction but while we are of course different in how we react to things, no other members' comments should cause any of us to back away.

As I said earlier I had a very brief dalliance with FB but felt I got nothing from it so left. Subsequently, some shocking behaviour on their part simply convinced me I'd done the right thing. And I'm not even talking about Cambridge Analytica, I'm referring to stuff well before that invoving their refusal to remove pages celebrating - yes, CELEBRATING - violence against women. What a vile, amoral organisation. I want nothing to do with them.

Once I reported Nazi propaganda on Facebook and they did nothing. Their community standards and reporting process are a bit lacking.

• Official Post

I’ve found that even message boards can often be unfair. Many times the moderators are all of one mind and can take the side of some of the more abrasive group members, even if they violate rules.

Not referring to this group, of course.

That's true.

Being admin in two forums, I can really tell how difficult that is sometimes. So we eventually introduced team decisions a while back to prevent ourselves from taking sides too easily.