Famous Genesis fans

• (I’m sure we had this thread on the old forum but can’t find it here).

This morning I heard Gary Barlow on the radio saying he was saved from despair after losing his record deal by listening to “Don’t Give Up”. So I guess we have Peter to thank(?) for Gary’s subsequent career :/

• Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear is a prog fan and has often mentioned Genesis. He also played a Camel track while test driving one of the cars

• I heard Gary Barlow on the radio saying he was saved from despair after losing his record deal by listening to “Don’t Give Up”. So I guess we have Peter to thank(?) for Gary’s subsequent career :/

Not especially a Barlow/Take That fan but he can knock out a decent catchy pop song. Seeing him on tv a few weeks back it's evident he's aging well too.

Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear is a prog fan and has often mentioned Genesis.

Yeah I know, it's a bit embarrassing.

I read an interview with actor Philip Glenister (State of Play, Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes) who listed some of his favourite songs and Lilywhite Lilith was one of them.

Abandon all reason

• :?:.......Explain more, Im confused!!:/

She means Murray is interviewed in the film as he is a fan. Pretty much the only "celebrity" fan they managed to nab. When the BBC did a Kate Bush documentary it was crawling with celebs. Poor old Genesis only muster a so-so comedian who's known for one act over about 30 years.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• She means Murray is interviewed in the film as he is a fan. Pretty much the only "celebrity" fan they managed to nab. When the BBC did a Kate Bush documentary it was crawling with celebs. Poor old Genesis only muster a so-so comedian who's known for one act over about 30 years.

Thanks ! :)

• Sarah McLachlan has highlighted The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway as an influence repeatedly.

Jeff Buckley covered Back In NYC.

Has she indeed? Didn't know that. Charlotte Hatherley also highly rates The Lamb.

Banks once said Dave Grohl came up to him at an airport to say what a fan he was. Other musicians tend to rate them but I can't think of many non-musician celebs who've come out as fans.

Abandon all reason

• OK... I knew Musical Brick had an article on this.

https://www.musicalbrick.com/1…w-like-the-group-genesis/

I'm not sure the mention of Jimmy Carr is helpful. Also I would think it stands to reason that the people who were involved with Brian Pern might like Genesis. There is a nice photo of Bruce Willis with Steve though. Also, the old forum is thanked for help with 'research'.

Good to see Bruce Willis, hopefully a fan of course!...

• I'm not sure the mention of Jimmy Carr is helpful.

I don't mind him, not a fan as such but do get why people dislike him.

I'm more bothered by sharing fandom with blokey bloke types like Clarkson and Carling.

I wonder what RDJ meant by when they "go into ponce mode".

They listed Lee and Lifeson but left off Peart who said the drumming on SEBTP was a huge influence on him. Lennon said it was his favourite album of the year.

Thanks for posting that link.

Abandon all reason

• She means Murray is interviewed in the film as he is a fan. Pretty much the only "celebrity" fan they managed to nab. When the BBC did a Kate Bush documentary it was crawling with celebs. Poor old Genesis only muster a so-so comedian who's known for one act over about 30 years.

A little harsh on Al Murray. At least he's funny. Keith Lemon has a similar sort of act, but sucks at every level, as do his other personas.

As for Sum Of The Parts, there were probably loads of people who ended up on the cutting room floor, (along with the whole of Steve's massive solo career which probably outnumbers the rest of the band members in total albums recorded terms) to make room for the 4 talking heads who were hired to fill the show with their vacuous "weren't even there at the time" comments.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Guy Garvey of Elbow is a big Geness fan, as is actor/comedian Rhys Thomas.

You won't know Thomas unless you Google him, then you may recognise his face. He was in the Chris Morris sitcom Nathan Barley and was a writer on the Fast Show, among other things. I remember him on Nevermind the Buzzcocks once. Louis Walsh was on the other team. When Mark Lamar introduced Thomas as a Genesis fan, Walsh piped up with "But surely only with Peter Gabriel. That's the only real Genesis" to which Thomas remarked about the quality of the post Gabrel era band, a brief discusson ensued until Lammar raised his eyebrows and broke it up.. ^^ I can't fnd a clip on Youtube sadly.

Rhys Thomas

• There's the oft mentioned fact from Steve Hackett that Lennon listened to Selling England a lot and liked it, and don't forget David Gower - England cricketer. He was know to be a Genesis fan and if memory serves IKWIL featured in his desert Island Discs.