Famous Genesis fans

• A little harsh on Al Murray. At least he's funny. Keith Lemon has a similar sort of act, but sucks at every level, as do his other personas.

As for Sum Of The Parts, there were probably loads of people who ended up on the cutting room floor, (along with the whole of Steve's massive solo career which probably outnumbers the rest of the band members in total albums recorded terms) to make room for the 4 talking heads who were hired to fill the show with their vacuous "weren't even there at the time" comments.

I hate Keith Lemon to a passion! :thumbdown:

Sarah McLachlan has highlighted The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway as an influence repeatedly.

I didn't know that.

I knew she liked Peter Gabriel's solo work.

In fact, some of the tracks on Fumbling Towards Ecstasy — "Possession" comes to mind, the way she employs her voice and the rhythm section — sound to me like they were inspired by the music on Us or So.

• Kevin Gilbert covered The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in 1994 for its 20th anniversary.

Toby Fox is rumored to be a fan, since a lot of Undertale (and even some cases Deltarune) contain lots of references to Genesis.

• Nick D'Virgilio (ex-drummer/vocalist for Spock's Beard; current drummer for Big Big Train) recorded Rewiring Genesis in 2009, a tribute to TLLDOB. Kitty and I went to one of the gigs here in So Cal and his band were fabulous. He even threw one of his drumsticks to my wife and she caught it.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think Mike mentioned in his memoir that Eddie Van Halen came to see Genesis play live and and arranged a jam with Mike that did not come off for some reason???

"She looks at me and gently smiles, as if she knew I'd ask her all the time..."

• What about the Paul McCartney quote that was posted to the German forum recently? Don't know where to find it.

What did he say?

Not that this is a sign of celebrity fandom but I just really like the comment Pete Townshend made many years ago, "Genesis are the best of those Genesis-type bands."

Abandon all reason

• What about the Paul McCartney quote that was posted to the German forum recently? Don't know where to find it.

What did he say?

I don't know the exact quote, but I do know what Sredni is talking about.

There was a post (that looked, to me, suspiciously like an invented meme) with a picture of Paul where he allegedly says something like, "People ask me all the time what it was like to be a member of the greatest band of all time. The funny thing is that I don't remember ever being a member of Genesis."

Now, it could be a real quote of Paul's - I honestly don't know. It's like the other meme out there which says something like, "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that they can be very difficult to verify." And, of course, the quote is attributed to Abraham Lincoln. ^^ So, I have seen the "quote" that was referred to; I just have no idea whether it's a real quote or not. :/

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I don't know the exact quote, but I do know what Sredni is talking about.

There was a post (that looked, to me, suspiciously like an invented meme) with a picture of Paul where he allegedly says something like, "People ask me all the time what it was like to be a member of the greatest band of all time. The funny thing is that I don't remember ever being a member of Genesis."

Now, it could be a real quote of Paul's - I honestly don't know. It's like the other meme out there which says something like, "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that they can be very difficult to verify." And, of course, the quote is attributed to Abraham Lincoln. ^^ So, I have seen the "quote" that was referred to; I just have no idea whether it's a real quote or not. :/

Okay thanks for the explanation. I find it highly unlikely it's a genuine quote, it's definitely in Lincoln territory for me!

Abandon all reason

• Okay thanks for the explanation. I find it highly unlikely it's a genuine quote, it's definitely in Lincoln territory for me!

That’s my impression too; however, it would be very much like Sir Paul to have said such a thing in an interview facetiously. He does throw out comments like this sometimes with a wink and a nod.

I can't find it. Christian posted it, maybe he can remember where he discovered it.

I do know what you are talking about - I saw it too! ^^

I hope it turns up so that everyone knows what we’re on about.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• That’s my impression too; however, it would be very much like Sir Paul to have said such a thing in an interview facetiously. He does throw out comments like this sometimes with a wink and a nod.

If it were genuine and within the last 2-3 years it might be a sly reference to PC's rant about him.

Abandon all reason

• I didn't know that.

I knew she liked Peter Gabriel's solo work.

In fact, some of the tracks on Fumbling Towards Ecstasy — "Possession" comes to mind, the way she employs her voice and the rhythm section — sound to me like they were inspired by the music on Us or So.

She definitely likes Peter's solo work. She released a cover version of Solsbury Hill on a CD single with her first album. She also has mentioned really liking Passion and also the song In Your Eyes.

In terms of Genesis, there was a CD called Influences many years ago. It included her picks of songs that she found influential and was led off by TLLDOB. On Twitter she also mentions TLLDOB as an influence, though it is unclear if she was referring to the song or the album https://twitter.com/sarahmclachlan/status/484444532067815424. I've chatted with her a few times over the years and she once mentioned to me that she covered IKWIL back in her very early years, I think before her first album.