New track - Undergroud Railroad

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Still following the formula he seems to have adopted these days, vocal section, instrumental till end. Not bad, but he used to be so versatile, it seems he's lost that now.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Still following the formula he seems to have adopted these days, vocal section, instrumental till end.

Well, not quite, since vocals come back in during the last third. Anyway, this sounds to me kind of like the younger brother of "Black Thunder." Not great but not bad either.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Official Post

I like this one more than the first track they have made available. Especially the last section is really good. Something's lacking, but I am not sure what it is. It needs some time to make click, so I will give it some more time then :)

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Well, not quite, since vocals come back in during the last third. Anyway, this sounds to me kind of like the younger brother of "Black Thunder." Not great but not bad either.

Yes, the vocal does return a bit, there was a gap of a few hours between hearing it and posting about it. Yes, you are right, it does hark back to Black Thunder.

But whatever happened to the versatility that brought us such things as Brand New, This World, Rebecca, Sun, Moon & Stars, or even such off the wall items as Why? It's all still quite good, but I have such high expectations, based on past experience, and since GR2, it seems he doesn't want to take chances any more. I can understand that, he doesn't want to alienate new fans who got on board with GR2, but the odd risk would be worth it, IMO.

Ian

• I much prefer this track to the previous one that was released.

This one taps into a couple of different genres that at least sets it apart from some of his recent material and it held my attention which is more than I can say of the other track.

• Well, I thought that was brilliant. It evokes that whole period when people were trying to free the slaves during the Civil War. I love songs about history; that's why I like Behind The Smoke so much. Well done Steve.

• This more like it. Yes it does follow the same path of many of his recent releases but has much more changes of tempo. Instrumentation is excellent and I love the vocals. Good job:)

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Struggled with this. I feel Steve's best days are behind him and while I understand the Genesis regurgitation has brought greater exposure, I just don't think his solo material is as strong as it once was. Steve has been pretty eclectic across his solo career but while the style of this track is different at the outset. I feel some of the sections sound like various ideas strung together. Personally, I feel that while certain songs from the last 5 studio albums are superb, Darktown, imho, is the last solid studio album he has produced. I know it pays the bills but just wish he concentrated on his back catalogue of numerous superb songs which has been reduced by the Genesis material. Phil and Peter managed fine with a large back catalogue of original material.

• Beyond the Shrouded Horizon was superb, and Wild Orchids (Playing it now, as it happens) and To Watch the Storms are outstanding, but for me, it's all gone south since GR2, as I've said. Where's the originality of songs like Down St. Fundamenta

Ian

• Beyond the Shrouded Horizon was superb, and Wild Orchids (Playing it now, as it happens) and To Watch the Storms are outstanding, but for me, it's all gone south since GR2, as I've said. Where's the originality of songs like Down St. Fundamenta

You are right, BTSH is very good but the problem with last few albums is that the music became predictable. I still think Steve would benefit from having a strong lead vocalist (not Nad Sylvan) and stick to backing vocals. His voice is always heavily processed too.