Do people still swap these?

• StillCan'tDance well you could do that or you could just laugh your arse off, chalk it up to experience.

Running The Archive is like a Indiana Jones film somedays, you get close to stuff to find people rightly so have dumped history or some other element are chasing you on an Airship or meddling with old artefacts in Egypt. Rightly so like Indiana Jones, I dislike Snakes.

Ha ha ha ha

Regards

Mark

• Brilliant analogy, Mark! As it goes, I'm currently nursing two very poorly children right now and I think I may well curl up on the couch with them and watch Raiders of the Lost Ark on Blu-ray :)

• I used to have a list (probably still have it on file somewhere) and even used to swap lists with one or two people including a certain well-known gentleman from Liverpool :¬) (where are ya Al?)

• Many people had a list or two, some public some not so public. Trading was fun in the early 2000's with boards being released also but the well seems to have run dry or people are hiding their trades of such material.

I am often astonished to learn that just as I think everything that's out there is out there, something else comes along.

So with trading, never give up.

Enjoy

Mark

• Unfortunately, our favorite band isn't exactly famous for having the greatest variability at live concerts. It took me a long time to notice any differences between individual concerts on the same tour and often from different tours (and the differences were nevertheless rather marginal - apart from the sound quality and the technical issues).

So I think it was more of a hunter-gatherer phenomenon that made me collect live shows than that I was actually a "fan" of these performances. Now that we have reached a stage where no new recordings have appeared for years, my interest has waned considerably. Sometimes I regret the time I have spent collecting, restoring and remastering these recordings. But I also see the positive sides: On the one hand I have learned a lot (technically) during this time and on the other hand I have met a lot of very nice people, many of them personally and at least in one case, a real, deep friendship has developed that means a lot to me.

• @ TOM, in the end if Genesis brings you together with new people, people who go on to be friends then thats the best result. It's the best thing I can say I have got from being a fan, the idea of a curry and a pint with another fan is something I find satisfying.

Everything else is a bonus... my two favourite 1977 shows are the Southampton Soundboard and the Winterland Soundboard...

Regards

Mark

• Unfortunately, our favorite band isn't exactly famous for having the greatest variability at live concerts. It took me a long time to notice any differences between individual concerts on the same tour and often from different tours (and the differences were nevertheless rather marginal - apart from the sound quality and the technical issues).

So I think it was more of a hunter-gatherer phenomenon that made me collect live shows than that I was actually a "fan" of these performances. Now that we have reached a stage where no new recordings have appeared for years, my interest has waned considerably.

Whereas I can easily hear the differences between, say, Home By The Sea from the Mama, Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance tours. And actually find that I'm collecting more bootlegs these days than when I started back in the early nineties. True, Genesis did not vary the approach to songs from show to show on a specific tour but that was ever thus. The definitive version of the song was, as far as they were concerned, the one that ended up on the album and so they simply tried to replicate that in a live context.

It was only once Daryl and Chester joined that there started to be some significant differences between the studio and live versions - the appropriation of the More Trouble Every Day lick in Afterglow, for example, or the guitar solos in The Lady Lies and Jesus He Knows Me - because both of those musicians came from a jazz fusion background.

• When I started I resolved to only collect soundboard and pre-fm material. Over time I've opened up and I'm glad I have. There are some vital audience recordings out there. One that springs immediately to mind is the show at The Marquee in 1982....

I agree. In addition to the Marquee show, a couple of others I'm quite fond of is Roma 72 and Academy of Music 74.

Even though there are superior sounding FM or pre-FM recordings from the SEBTP tour, the Academy recording is a solid performance and has a couple of little jams in there that make it a bit unique. It might actually be my favourite unofficial live recording.

• With the beauty of You tube , you can listen to some excellent recordings of various tours

Yes I think that is the key to the end of swapping, Youtube did not exist when I first started swapping Bootlegs but now you can use keepvid to get stuff with ease.

I used to swap boots with a guy from England who was working in Japan, I would send them to his Mum's address down South and he would send tamagochi's from Japan for my son! Happy days!

• Yes I think that is the key to the end of swapping, Youtube did not exist when I first started swapping Bootlegs but now you can use keepvid to get stuff with ease.

I used to swap boots with a guy from England who was working in Japan, I would send them to his Mum's address down South and he would send tamagochi's from Japan for my son! Happy days!

Now that guy sounds just like somebody I know!! ;);)

Crikey - how long ago was that??!!

Cheers,

Richard

• Latest update to the Genesis Movement site gives lie to a recent complaint on that site that, for collectors, there's nothing new under the sun. A newly sourced digital version of I Like The Way by Phil Collins has been acquired by a site member and is now available for upload. Phil came up with the song during the sessions for No Jacket Required. An attempt to write a song in the style of Michael Jackson, I Like The Way did not make the album, winding up as a B-side to One More Night. The song is something of a rarity in that it didn't make the list of extras during the Take A Look At Me Now campaign so this upload is something of a treat for the PC completist.

For anybody crazing more of The Lamb (that would be pretty much all of us, then?) Rae Imperial Arie Crown Kid has been "re-tracked, cleaned and patched". This audience recording from this landmark tour is definitely worth checking out.

• Just found this thread.

Apparently I used to listen to live recordings much more in the past. I don't call them bootlegs, because I never had a passion for CD-pressings in that manner. I got plenty of them somewhere, most of them soundboard recordings or radio broadcasts. Don't listen to them much these days.

Maybe the Board Tapes project can change that - but that is obviuously not realistic to expect.

• Official Post

same here. I got some boots via torrent years ago. I also had some silver pressed CDs, but that's all not really relevant any more. The really good stuff is in my iTunes library, the other ones are somewhere - or gone.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I used to follow torrent activity more or less regulary, but was always looking for something special. I never wanted to have it all. Then suddenly I lost interest. There are some recordings on my HD and I even have some very old bootlegs on CD. But I do not listen to them a lot anymore.

Having said that, it would still be cool if Genesis decided to release all the board tapes ....

... make tomorrow today!