• ^ Maybe Quantick isn't bothered about how TFC was made and just likes the tracks. I'm not familiar with that album myself.

I prefer Nursery Cryme to Foxtrot too. The NC thread went unloved and unregarded, sadly!

Can Utility is my personal favourite as well, with WOTS close behind.

Abandon all reason

• Another "trivia" note regarding FOXTROT: It started the "long album sides" streak that lasted thru DUKE. Every Genesis album (including live ones) during that period had at least one LP side over 25 minutes. (ABACAB broke the trend, and it was only revisited by the 4th live side of THREE SIDES LIVE.)

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• ^ Maybe Quantick isn't bothered about how TFC was made and just likes the tracks. I'm not familiar with that album myself.

I prefer Nursery Cryme to Foxtrot too. The NC thread went unloved and unregarded, sadly!

Can Utility is my personal favourite as well, with WOTS close behind.

Oh sure, that is likely true. The problem is the band name on the album - "The Final Cut" isn't really a Pink Floyd album; it's effectively Roger Waters' first solo album with Gilmour playing on it (and occasionally Mason; Rick Wright doesn't play on it at all). "The Division Bell" is a more proper PF album than TFC (TFC and "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" would be a draw). That's what I was getting at.

Yes, somehow I missed the NC thread. I'll have to pay attention more. ^^

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

Edited once, last by OneForTheVine ().

• Official Post

Happy Birthday, FOXTROT - 47 today!

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• A stronger album than Nursery Cryme methinks. I’m surprised reading through a thread of hardcore Genesis fans that there is so much criticism for this. I always put it up there as a quintessential Genesis album!

As far as the discussion about production, yeah it’s not great. Especially compared to their peers at the time. I think it got better on Lamb. The drums sounded better, and Phil says the band sounded more ‘live’ on that one. It’s still kinda muddy, but I think that works better with the music on Lamb than it does for say...Foxtrot.

• I wonder whether a young lad could get into it, listening to it today. It's probably too much of a period record. Plus, there are no back-up dancers and no rap mid-section....

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• I wonder whether a young lad could get into it, listening to today. It's probably too much of a period record. Plus, there are no back-up dancers and no rap mid-section....

Just as it was with many of us who grew up during the disco era, there will always be youths who want to assert their individual tastes and stray off the common path.

My 17-year-old son listens on his phone to full albums by King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd, The Stones, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin - and surprisingly it's not solely due to my influence but a small circle of friends of his who all share an appreciation for this old stuff and they'll make recommendations among themselves.

(Just the other day ... "Hey dad, do you have any ELO?")

So there is always hope for next generation.

• Indeed, my daughter's current boyfriend is a Phil/Genesis fan, he's 28. My daughter is 27 and likes some Fleetwood Mac and Beatles, though sadly also a lot of the current "stuff", which it can "get" IMO! ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• My daughter is 27 and likes some Fleetwood Mac and Beatles, though sadly also a lot of the current "stuff", which it can "get" IMO! ;)

Spoken like a true dad.

But don't say "sadly"! (Though I'm guessing you weren't being entirely serious). I love that anyone of any age finds music they like and enjoy.

At a Lush gig about 3 years ago I found myself alongside a group of 4 young women, all about 20. One was wearing a Larks Tongues In Aspic t-shirt and I couldn't hold back from commenting on it, which led us into a very interesting music conversation. They had wonderfully diverse tastes ranging across various genres from the 60s to now. One of them suggested a couple of bands I didn't know, including King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizzard who I've subsequently found to have done some good stuff. Two of them started a subsidiary conversation about Genesis - one liked PG era, the other liked post-PG and each tried to convince the sceptical other to give their preference more of a listen.

In all, a very heartening conversation with engaging young musical polymaths, confirming that quality music will usually continue to find an audience.

And pleasingly I've stayed in touch with 2 of them.

Abandon all reason

• My 24 year old son has accompanied me to many gigs since he was about 14, including Steve and also tribute bands. He has a fantastic and broad taste in music, mainly from the 60s to 90s. Now, if I can get him into Dad’s Army and some classical music, my work here is done.....

• My duaghter (now 21) likes some of Peter's songs.

In the car the other day Supper's Ready was drawing to its majestic conclusion. She asked 'is that Peter Gabriel' and I said 'yes, with Genesis, Supper's Ready'.

She said 'I meant what was that last song, 'hey baby'"?

'Supper's Ready'. I repeated. 'hey babe with your guardian eyes so blue/hey my baby don't you know our love is true. All 23 minutes of it'. I think she liked it. But then this morning the song playing was IKWIL & she didn't say anything.

• well an album that's made up of more or less half of my favorite track ever must be good. It was my favorite album for many years, now its NC. Foxtrot is still a great album, I know what the first note of the next track is going to be and it flows. Oh and horizons is magical.