8. Invisible Touch

9. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

10. Trespass

11. And Then There Were Three

12. Nursery Cryme

13. We Can't Dance

14. From Genesis To Revelation

15. Calling All Stations

• Not got much to do so I've cobbled together a listing based on the responses given so far in this thread to give an overall rating, which came out as follows:

1. Selling England

2. Trick

3. The Lamb

4. Wind

5. Duke

6. Foxtrot

7. Nursery

8. Three

9. Trespass

10. Genesis

11. Abacab

12. WCD

13. IT

14. CAS

15. FGTR

It appears that those of us who've responded so far think they hit their peak 73-76 and are not keen on how they hit the commercial heights nor how they started and ended their career.

Abandon all reason

• Personally, I think their peak was 70-80, a period in which imo all their albums were quite strong, with the possible exception perhaps of ATTW3 which for the first time with a Genesis album had me scratching my head.

• Oh well let's give it a go. I love Genesis and every album they have ever made so this is very difficult. Even those toward the bottom of the list I regard very highly but just not as much as those above it (and my list will change regularly)

1. A Trick of The Tail

2. Wind & Wuthering

3. And Then There Were Three

4. Duke

5. Abacab

6. Selling England By The Pound

7. Nursery Cryme

8. Genesis

9. Invisible Touch

10. Foxtrot

11. We Can't Dance

12. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

13. Trespass

14. Calling All Stations

15. From Genesis To Revelation

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Studio:

1. Selling England by the Pound
    2. Foxtrot
    3. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    4. A Trick of the Tail
    5. Nursery Cryme
    6. Wind & Wuthering
    7. Trespass
    8. Duke
    9. And Then There Were Three
    10. Abacab
    11. Genesis '83
    12. From Genesis to Revelation
    13. We Can't Dance
    14. Invisible Touch
    15. Calling All Stations

Live:

1. Seconds Out
    2. Live at the Rainbow
    3. Genesis Live
    4. Three Sides Live
    5. Live Over Europe 2007
    6. The Longs
    7. The Shorts

"If you think that it's pretentious, you've been taken for a ride."

• I'm still shocked how FGTR is still ranked quite low by fans, despite this being a late 60s album. :?:

I play this maybe 4 times a year or more and love it. In my top 7 of albums.

This was my 3rd Genesis album I bought during the 70s, only as it was available in my local record shop in Llantwit Major, Wales.

• Official Post

01 Abacab

02 A Trick Of The Tail

03 Selling England By The Pound

04 We Can't Dance

05 The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

06 Duke

07 Foxtrot

08 Wind & Wuthering

09 Genesis

10 Nursery Cryme

11 Calling All Stations

12 Invisible Touch

13 And Then There Were Three

14 Trespass

15 From Genesis To Revelation

I find it quite difficult to do that and it's possibly the first time I have ever ranked Abacab as #1, but it was their bravest album of all and I simply like it best now. I used to say "it's not their best, but their bravest", but now I think that goes together in this case. Like It Or Not

• I'm still shocked how FGTR is still ranked quite low by fans, despite this being a late 60s album. :?:

What do you mean, "despite..."? Why would that stop people rating it low?

it's possibly the first time I have ever ranked Abacab as #1, but it was their bravest album of all and I simply like it best now. I used to say "it's not their best, but their bravest", but now I think that goes together in this case. Like It Or Not

Well done, good to see it rated so high. I hadn't thought before in terms of 'bravest' but I see what you mean, and probably one of the main reasons it's my 2nd favourite and The Lamb is first is that they are both quite off-piste at those times in their career, and that really appeals to me. I like any artist I admire to do something jarringly different, and on top of that these albums achieve that in a way that also yielded stuff I just really liked anyway.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

I'm surprised anyone would be shocked by how low it is ranked by most Genesis fans.

FGTR may have been recorded in the late 60s but sounds to me like an album of an earlier, and musically more tame era.

For a Genesis fan, I think it's an interesting curio item and the music conveys a certain innocence that I find endearing — but if we're going to talk about adventurous new artists, interesting music and great albums that came out in the late 60s, I don't think FGTR even comes close to being part of that discussion.

• That's a tough one!

Selling England

Duke

The Lamb

Trick Of The Tail

Foxtrot

We Can't Dance

Nursery Cryme

Wind & Wuthering

Shapes

Abacab

Calling All Stations

Invisible Touch

Trespass

And Then There Were Three

From Genesis To Revelation

but it could be different next week. It's also looks quite strange to see Shapes or Abacab more towards the bottom of my list - but hey, I think they didn't make really bad albums, so it's okay.

• Official Post

Depends on the situation.

I like playing random songs at home from pre-defined playlists, but then again, when I dive deep into the 5.1 version of an albums I usually listen to the entire piece or most of it.

• When there's time I like to listen to an album in its entirety, Problem is: We Can't Dance or The Lamb are very long, so that applies most to Trick or Nursery Cryme.

• The only ones I ever listen to all the way through are The Lamb and Abacab, the latter being my amended version featuring the 'Dodo trilogy'. The length of The Lamb isn't a problem for me as I like everything on it. But even then, a straight-through listen is very rare for me. Pretty much all my Genesis listening is via my 6-disc compilation as listed in the 'Best Of' thread.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

I tend to listen to the whole thing with albums from 1970 to 1980. From Abacab on I pick and choose.

.... I understand. Abacab is simply too strong to hear it in one go