Rank the albums!

• Sides 3 and 4, while still very good, weaken the totality of the album a little.

For me Side 3 ranks as one of the best sequences of songs they ever did, along with the side 1s of SEBTP and Shapes. Practically every kind of Genesis texture and dynamic is in there.

Abandon all reason

• For me Side 3 ranks as one of the best sequences of songs they ever did, along with the side 1s of SEBTP and Shapes. Practically every kind of Genesis texture and dynamic is in there.

I'm halfway between your take and Liquid Len's. Sides 1&2 are amazing. I like a lot about 3, particularly Anyway and Lamia, but also Lily-white Lilith. For me, it runs out of gas at Silent Sorrow. Was never gone on Slippermen, and it just seems to lose some of the energy and creativity after that. Is there any truth that Silent Sorrow was an interlude to facilitate costume changes?

Anyway the material from Silent Sorrow onward is what drops the album down a little for me. It's still great, and the effect is not as dramatic as the effect BoEF has on SEBTP.