Genesis in the media

• Guy Garvey playing Entangled on his BBC 6Music show as I write this, he introduced it saying it was a favourite track from his childhood and means a lot to everyone in Elbow and he dedicated it to them.

Abandon all reason

• Latest edition of Prog magazine has a cover feature about Nursery Cryme.

A new book by Bill Thomas, Decades: Genesis in the 1970s, is an examination of the 10 years that represent the band's busiest phase. Published next month, available now for pre-order so I'm told.

Abandon all reason

• Came across this . Not all that recent k know but I agree Genesis show real promise .

I'm sorry I haven't a clue also shows promise as a radio show. (And yes, Top Gear WAS a radio show, the Moody Blues certainly appeared on it, July 68 and Feb 69, promoting In search of the lost chord, and On the threshold of a dream respectively)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I am certain the moment its on youtube, the rest of us can draw our own conclusions.

TGA

I can save you the trouble. It was horrible. Dee Snyder narrated and 95% of the music played was generic hair band stuff in the background. There was about 10 seconds each of Watcher, IKWIL, FYFM, and BTL. There was maybe 3 seconds of band member interview clips from the box sets. Mostly it was Richard MacPhail (sp?) who kept saying “we did this, we did that,” like he was a musician in the band. And the journalists they interviewed made comments that seemed wildly off base. Example: one claiming that Phil showed up for the Abacab sessions with his entourage in tow (including Hugh Padgham) and telling Tony and Mike “this is how it’s gonna be.” All in all it was a waste of time, start to finish.

• New documentary out Sunday-

https://themusicuniverse.com/r…sic-documentary-festival/

On Sunday, August 15th at 9 pm ET/6 pm PT Genesis: Breaking the Band former lead guitarist Steve Hackett shares his first-hand experiences of the band’s incredible success, the story behind his departure and witnessing the clashes between singer Peter Gabriel and drummer Phil Collins that would spawn their remarkable solo careers.

Looks fun!

"Fun" is a really generous way to describe this. I watched it last night, and cringed most of the way through. From the bad, completely non-Genesis music throughout, to the terrible "reenactments" of scenes, to really hyping up the dissension within the band, it was just bad. Dee Snider, who can actually be a good narrator with the right project, was a terrible fit for this; crazy aggressive tone the whole way through.

Steve and Richard Macphail were the most prominent voices. Mike's voice was almost non-existent, while Peter, Tony, and Phil were all tiny clips from really old interviews.

I was surprised to learn that the fox's head and red dress were first seen in Paris at the Bataclan ... which gives you an idea of how accurate the whole things was.

They have a concept all about "Breaking the Band." And they're going to tape bits and pieces of a story together, in order to create a narrative that fits that concept. My advice ... if you haven't watched it yet, don't waste your time. But that's just my 2 cents.

• That was an awful big joint “Phil” was smoking in the dark as he wrote his first solo album lol.

• Phil showed up for the Abacab sessions with his entourage in tow (including Hugh Padgham) and telling Tony and Mike “this is how it’s gonna be.”

Hahahahaha!

terrible "reenactments" of scenes

if you haven't watched it yet, don't waste your time. But that's just my 2 cents.

RE-ENACTMENTS?!

This sounds so spectacularly bad I've now got to see this thing!

Please tell me there's a re-enactment of the above-mentioned Abacab scenario. I imagine Banks and Rutherford discussing their plans, interrupted by a dramatic chord as the door is kicked open, light pouring through, Collins silhouetted in the doorway, then striding in flanked by Padgham and the 'entourage'. He stares at the other two, then dramatically sweeps aside their notes and slams down his own before uttering the aforementioned pronouncement. Zoom in on the others' shocked faces!

Abandon all reason

• Not far off lol. Worst part is I was visiting my 83 year old father. I mentioned this doc about my favorite band was on and I wouldn’t mind watching it. He said “sure” and we both regretted it. I kept telling him “this isn’t their music playing in the background. Their music is much better.” When the show finished he muttered “Thank God that’s over” and turned on the news lol.

• As MoonlitKnight said, you're actually not too far off. Actors with terrible wigs and mustaches. And that one scene was pretty much "Tony", "Mike", and "Phil" standing around while "Hugh" stood in the doorway. Just painful.

Not far off lol. Worst part is I was visiting my 83 year old father. I mentioned this doc about my favorite band was on and I wouldn’t mind watching it. He said “sure” and we both regretted it. I kept telling him “this isn’t their music playing in the background. Their music is much better.” When the show finished he muttered “Thank God that’s over” and turned on the news lol.

Exactly! I turned it on while my wife was in the room, and while I knew she wasn't really paying attention, I felt the need to keep defending my fandom of this band that was being portrayed in this really schlocky way. She knew it was terrible, but I sort of felt the need to apologize for it anyway.

• When the show finished he muttered “Thank God that’s over” and turned on the news lol.

As MoonlitKnight said, you're actually not too far off. Actors with terrible wigs and mustaches. And that one scene was pretty much "Tony", "Mike", and "Phil" standing around while "Hugh" stood in the doorway. Just painful.

Thank you both. I've been almost wheezing with hysterics at the above. I'm now switching to not wanting to see it, primarily as I'm not sure it can match the hilariously awful image in my mind.

It's made me think of this "reconstruction" of a nazi senior level meeting from 90s TV comedy KYTV that still makes me laugh now. Go to 05.00 in this video. That's what I want the "doc" to be like!

Abandon all reason

• As MoonlitKnight said, you're actually not too far off. Actors with terrible wigs and mustaches. And that one scene was pretty much "Tony", "Mike", and "Phil" standing around while "Hugh" stood in the doorway. Just painful.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Dear lord I have to see this thing. It sounds like the stuff of legend!

It's made me think of this "reconstruction" of a nazi senior level meeting from 90s TV comedy KYTV that still makes me laugh now. Go to 05.00 in this video.

OT: I had forgotten how funny Angus Deaton could be.

• OT: I had forgotten how funny Angus Deaton could be.

Indeed, he was brilliant in many things. KY:TV and it's radio version RadioActive. Also, the great, sadly late Geoffrey Perkins, who, among many other things, produced the Classic, Father Ted.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Indeed, he was brilliant in many things. KY:TV and it's radio version RadioActive. Also, the great, sadly late Geoffrey Perkins, who, among many other things, produced the Classic, Father Ted.

Few shows are true classics. Father Ted was definitely one of them and of course starred another sadly late great in Dermot Morgan. Awful, awful to die suddenly so young but what riches he left behind, including his hysterical political satire radio show Scrap Saturday.

I'll stop being off-topic now and report back when I've investigated this already legendary Genesis documentary!

• Thank you both. I've been almost wheezing with hysterics at the above. I'm now switching to not wanting to see it, primarily as I'm not sure it can match the hilariously awful image in my mind.

It's made me think of this "reconstruction" of a nazi senior level meeting from 90s TV comedy KYTV that still makes me laugh now. Go to 05.00 in this video. That's what I want the "doc" to be like!

That was freakin’ hilarious! The phone call in particular 😂