Genesis in the media

• Just watched Discovering Genesis on Sky Arts. Just as i was wondering why I was bothering, they actually came up with new factual insights.

Phil Collins replaced Chris Stewart.

Foxtrot was their new sound with new line up.

IKWIL appears to be on Foxtrot.

Peter left because he felt he was too big a star to stay in Genesis.

Steve Hackett played Bach inspired organ noodling.

Phil Collins became in charge in Genesis.

They got back together to tour in 2006.

Well I never! You live and learn.

• Was this a spoof version, like Thotch? :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• No honestly it's a proper doc. Stills and video clips voice over with a few bods I have never heard of popping up and voicing their opinions. When discussing their new sound with Foxtrot and pics of the sleeve IKWIL was playing in the background ,.no mention of SR. No joke.

• No honestly it's a proper doc. Stills and video clips voice over with a few bods I have never heard of popping up and voicing their opinions. When discussing their new sound with Foxtrot and pics of the sleeve IKWIL was playing in the background ,.no mention of SR. No joke.

From what I can see scrolling back through the EPG it was 30mins long whereas everything else in their "Discovering" series appears to be 1 hour so maybe you got off lightly.

(Coming up there's a different documentary strand with a much longer programme on the Moody Blues which foxfeeder might want to check for accuracy).

I sometimes wonder if Genesis are the most marginalised mega-successful rock band.

Abandon all reason

• From what I can see scrolling back through the EPG it was 30mins long whereas everything else in their "Discovering" series appears to be 1 hour so maybe you got off lightly.

(Coming up there's a different documentary strand with a much longer programme on the Moody Blues which foxfeeder might want to check for accuracy).

I sometimes wonder if Genesis are the most marginalised mega-successful rock band.

Classic Artists? I've got the DVD. All spot on, AFAIK. Yes, Jethro Tull and Cream are also in that series. Interestingly, Jimmy Saville appears in the DVD, which came out circa 2008, in an archive video clip from 1966. The Sky Arts version has edited him out.

The Moody Blues were in Channel 5's 1970's hits last night, as was Rolf Harris, but his inclusion was very brief, and with a disparaging comment.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• From what I can see scrolling back through the EPG it was 30mins long whereas everything else in their "Discovering" series appears to be 1 hour so maybe you got off lightly.

I like Discovering series. This documentary was nothing like the usual programmes in this , I don't think it was part the Discovering series , looks they just used the name. I know I'm making it sound like spoof more and more but it really wasn't ! Don't be put off watching Discovering by my post. They usually do old film stars with regular critics, which to me are are really interesting. Maybe beware if its not about a film star. And yes , I think you're right about Genesis being marginalized. They still remain mega unfashionable.

I forgot about this post - but I had to shoehorn in this; so are Dire Straits.

• Apologies if these have been posted already: stumbled upon these "unfiltered" interviews which I think were from the sessions eventually cut into Sum Of The Parts. They've popped up on youtube on the account of John Edginton who directed the film. TB, PC and SH either side of 2 hours, MR about 1 hour, the others 25mins or so. The ones I've dipped into so far start rather suddenly, I get the impression stuff has been chopped off the front but there's still about near enough 8 hours to dive into.

Tony Banks

Mike Rutherford

Phil Collins

Steve Hackett

Daryl Stuermer

Chester Thompson

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I watched the TB one last night but did it stupidly late and was tired, inevitably I fell asleep but got through roughly the first half of it while fully conscious. While it doesn't exactly tell us anything staggeringly new - I doubt by this stage they'd have any startling revelations for forensically devoted fans like us - it's still always quite pleasing seeing them interviewed even when they're re-hashing stuff they've said (and been asked about) a thousand times before. And there's the occasional small nugget here and there - I liked TB's offhand reference to Lou Reed.

The questioner isn't particularly good and at times I wanted him to get on with it. Watching this, I properly registered for the first time a particular TB habit that I've seen before but never latched on to - when he comes to the end of an expansive answer he blinks rapidly a few times. I suppose it's quite a useful indicator for an interviewer - "Oh right, he's finished, I can ask something else now".

I'll try to watch the rest of it then move on to MR later.

Abandon all reason

• Anthony Phillips

• A recent guest on the long-running BBC radio show Desert Island Discs was author Joanne Harris. For those unfamiliar with the format, guests choose 8 songs they'd want to have with them on a desert island. Harris chose Here Comes The Flood as one of her 8.

I can recall a few Genesis choices over the years including In The Cage and Mad Man Moon. The show's page on the BBC website used to enable searching the entire 70+ year history by song/artist choices and guests, but as is often way with these things "improvements" meant this useful facility was removed.

Abandon all reason