Genesis in the media

• VICE: "... Genesis Has Always Been a Great Band"

I thought this was a surprisingly good piece about the band, from VICE, of all places.

…and I’ll add my thanks as well!

That was a very welcome read. It was perfect to read while “Duchess” is playing in the background (yes, it really is)! 8)

P.S. The bit that made me smile the most was the “merits of ‘Man Of Our Times’” comment. ^^ I’ve always really liked that song, despite many not rating it very well. (I am now listening to this very song - can you tell I’m listening to Duke?)

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

Edited 2 times, last by OneForTheVine ().

• …and I’ll add my thanks as well!

That was a very welcome read. It was perfect to read while “Duchess” is playing in the background (yes, it really is)! 8)

P.S. The bit that made me smile the most was the “merits of ‘Man Of Our Times’” comment. ^^ I’ve always really liked that song, despite many not rating it very well. (I am now listening to this very song - can you tell I’m listening to Duke?)

It's a Rutherford song... typical (Man of Our Times. Listen to Moonshine on Smallcreep's Day. Heck, it's even a "descendant" of Squonk to my ears. Heavy chords, Taurus pedals... it has Rutherford written all over it

• P.S. The bit that made me smile the most was the “merits of ‘Man Of Our Times’” comment. ^^ I’ve always really liked that song, despite many not rating it very well.

I've always liked it too, it has a very different sort of feel to it and I like the unusual low register of PC's vocal. You're right, it seems to me a not well-liked song by fans, and indeed its author - in his book he says something along the lines of it being a mistake.

Abandon all reason

• slightly off piste but some xmas humour ...watching School of Rock for the umpteenth time yesterday..laughing when Jack Black hands out the CD in class referencing Rush,Floyd and the keyboard solo on Yes's Roundabout....can just imagine TB choking on his popcorn when he saw that 😂

• Never heard about this before: a Collins-McCartney feud?

https://rockcelebrities.net/th…hated-paul-mccartney/amp/

This came up a few years ago, I remember it in a couple of PC interviews. I have a vague feeling it features in his book but I only read it once and can't recall for sure. But it's been around 5 or 6 years. It's been referenced elsewhere on the board, a year or two ago.

That site has the same mangled AI/bad translation feel as the mess of an article that said PC was both on and not on the tour and audiences couldn't tell he was sitting down because of camera angles.

Abandon all reason

• slightly off piste but some xmas humour ...watching School of Rock for the umpteenth time yesterday..laughing when Jack Black hands out the CD in class referencing Rush,Floyd and the keyboard solo on Yes's Roundabout....can just imagine TB choking on his popcorn when he saw that 😂

If you look at the blackboard when they go over "rock history", you will see Genesis prominently featured under the "prog rock" branch lol.

• This came up a few years ago, I remember it in a couple of PC interviews. I have a vague feeling it features in his book but I only read it once and can't recall for sure. But it's been around 5 or 6 years. It's been referenced elsewhere on the board, a year or two ago.

That site has the same mangled AI/bad translation feel as the mess of an article that said PC was both on and not on the tour and audiences couldn't tell he was sitting down because of camera angles.

It's from the same author, "Su Yeniocak". Her texts read as if written by a non-native speaker who really sucks at English, slightly polished by some AI device. And I'm saying this as a non-native speaker myself.

The article puts Phil in a really bad light, like he read too much in a 5-second conversation and couldn't get over it for 14 years.

• The latest edition of Rockonteurs features Steve Hackett talking childhood, guitars, influences, and being angrily accused by Tony Banks of "sounding like Deep Purple". It's way too short but they explained on twitter that he had to go. Listen here.

Abandon all reason

• You can't beat a bit of the Daily Doug! This time doing Mad Man Moon. Never really thought about it being to do with PG.... Maybe.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The latest edition of Rockonteurs features Steve Hackett talking childhood, guitars, influences, and being angrily accused by Tony Banks of "sounding like Deep Purple". It's way too short but they explained on twitter that he had to go. Listen here.

Didn't know of this series. Really enjoyed the interview and will certainly work my way through many of these. Just listened to the Roland Orzabel interview. Refreshing to hear interviews genuinely interested in the music with the gossip in the background and not on the forefront which is so common.

• Didn't know of this series. Really enjoyed the interview and will certainly work my way through many of these. Just listened to the Roland Orzabel interview. Refreshing to hear interviews genuinely interested in the music with the gossip in the background and not on the forefront which is so common.

It's good, helped by it being musicians talking to musicians but they don't let it go full muso. As you'd have heard there's a Rutherford one too, also Curt Smith.

Guy Pratt can be an interruptor at times but he's OK and I really like Gary Kemp, and their love and respect for Genesis comes across clearly.

Glad to have spread the word, happy listening.

Abandon all reason

• It's good, helped by it being musicians talking to musicians but they don't let it go full muso. As you'd have heard there's a Rutherford one too, also Curt Smith.

Guy Pratt can be an interruptor at times but he's OK and I really like Gary Kemp, and their love and respect for Genesis comes across clearly.

Billy Corgan and Nick mason on there too! Thanks for the tip. These sound really interesting.

• It's good, helped by it being musicians talking to musicians but they don't let it go full muso. As you'd have heard there's a Rutherford one too, also Curt Smith.

Yes, started to listen to the Curt Smith interview when they mentioned they had had already done Roland , so I thought I would do it in order. Will of course give the Mike Rutherford one a go soon.

• The Roland Orzabal was fascinating for me, as I'm a huge TFF fan. Some really interesting insights in that one. In fact most of the series has been great listening. I could have Nile Rodgers' stories on a 24 hours a day loop! The guy is an absolute legend.

Somewhat disappointingly, I found Steve's interview a bit dull. Maybe I was in the wrong mood at the time.