Genesis in the media

• Somewhat disappointingly, I found Steve's interview a bit dull. Maybe I was in the wrong mood at the time.

I think I know what you mean. But for me that thing of "they're talking about Genesis, with a former member" kicked in and overrode any misgivings.

EDIT: I love the irony of Kemp twice referring to 'For Absent Minds' (and Hackett not bothering to correct him).

Abandon all reason

• I mostly like the Rockontours podcast. I still can't tell the difference between the two, so I'll take your word that Guy is the interrupter. I do think that they've gotten a little better over time. I certainly haven't listened to them all. But I remember thinking, while listening to the Nick Mason episode, "Will the two of you stop talking, so that your guest can actually speak?!?" There's less of that as they've done more interviews though. But maybe that's why I've only listened to a few of them; their interview style doesn't really work for me, so I limit it to artists I'm already interested in.

I'm not at all familiar with Steve's solo work, so listening to them talk about Genesis, even though I've already heard almost all what was talked about before, was perfectly fine with me. But I have to think that Steve gets a little frustrated at never getting talk about his own solo career when he does these interviews.

Melody Maker Ad - check

Public School boys vs not - check

Tension during The Lamb: check

Firth Solo - check

Phil's Solo Career - check

Steve's Solo Career - <crickets>

• Yes I listen to this podcast a fair bit and I've only just about got to the stage of telling Kemp and Pratt's voices apart! Pratt's voice is a little lighter in tone - and, as established, he interrupts a lot.

I'm not sure about Hackett getting frustrated at these Genesis questions vs solo career questions. This is a guy who barely ever performs any of his new material and does regular tours based largely on Genesis material so he's kind of laid down the rails himself.

Plus, a lot of listeners will only marginally have any interest in Genesis let alone the solo work of that other guy who left them in the 70s who isn't Peter Gabriel. So the slant of the questions is understandable in that sense.

Abandon all reason

• Yes I listen to this podcast a fair bit and I've only just about got to the stage of telling Kemp and Pratt's voices apart! Pratt's voice is a little lighter in tone - and, as established, he interrupts a lot.

I'm not sure about Hackett getting frustrated at these Genesis questions vs solo career questions. This is a guy who barely ever performs any of his new material and does regular tours based largely on Genesis material so he's kind of laid down the rails himself.

Plus, a lot of listeners will only marginally have any interest in Genesis let alone the solo work of that other guy who left them in the 70s who isn't Peter Gabriel. So the slant of the questions is understandable in that sense.

Couldn’t agree more about Steve. He seems perfectly comfortable with reliving his Genesis days, whether on stage or in interviews.

• Radio 2 just played Match of the Day - don't often here that on the radio.

Next song was Kate Bush - Running Up The Hill

Turning out to be a great day

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Elbow's Guy Garvey on his BBC 6Music show wishes PG happy birthday and plays both Mercy Street and I Know What I Like.

I wonder why he chose Mercy Street 🙄 And he always said he preferred Carpet Crawlers. Mind you, this is the man who declared himself a "big Genesis fan" who had never heard of Ant.

• I wonder why he chose Mercy Street 🙄 And he always said he preferred Carpet Crawlers.

He's allowed to play more than one Genesis song so presumably he chose to exercise that right. I've heard him play CC, Ripples and BOTR before. He always speaks warmly of them and comes across as a fan despite any AP oversights he's made.

Abandon all reason

• He's allowed to play more than one Genesis song so presumably he chose to exercise that right. I've heard him play CC, Ripples and BOTR before. He always speaks warmly of them and comes across as a fan despite any AP oversights he's made.

My comment was a little tongue-in-cheek, as Elbow covered MS for SMB.

• Just been watching the Last Domino documentary on Sky Arts. I had no idea it was on, if it was flagged here I missed it. I've come into it about 20mins in. It's during rehearsals in London in 2020.

Sky Arts usually repeat stuff so it might be on again soon.

Abandon all reason

• MoTd is quite often played by Ken Bruce or Jeremy Vine...reckon their producer must like it!

I find this bizarre and hilarious at the same time! Of ALL the tracks to play...!

Don't get me wrong, I like it. But I assumed it hadn't been played on radio since 1977.

• I find this bizarre and hilarious at the same time! Of ALL the tracks to play...!

Don't get me wrong, I like it. But I assumed it hadn't been played on radio since 1977.

indeed...always makes me smile when hear the opening chords. As you are right, one of the last tracks you would expect to hear and yet does get played fairly often

• Genesis often gets mentioned on Richard Hammond's shows as well as Clarkson, obviously a fan!...

Clarkson yes, Hammond no. If you watch the Top Gear India special there is a sequence where Clarkson rigs up Hammond's vehicle so it plays I Know What I Like. He hates it (he specifically mentions the 'da da da da da'part).