Genesis in the media

• appreciate that this may have come up before, and I may have missed, but stumbled over this whilst on YT....not bad for the time , taking into account other limited videos available

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• appreciate that this may have come up before, and I may have missed, but stumbled over this whilst on YT....not bad for the time , taking into account other limited videos available

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I got through the first two tracks, what there is of them but had to give up. Is it fragmented like that all the way through?

I mean, thanks for posting and yes you're right, in some ways it's good to find anything at all given how little 70s stuff is available so I don’t mean to sound nitpicky but if it's like that throughout I can't watch it.

The sound isn't too bad.

Abandon all reason

• I got through the first two tracks, what there is of them but had to give up. Is it fragmented like that all the way through?

I mean, thanks for posting and yes you're right, in some ways it's good to find anything at all given how little 70s stuff is available so I don’t mean to sound nitpicky but if it's like that throughout I can't watch it.

The sound isn't too bad.

It just seems to be short bursts of each song, and a bit longer of SR...maybe all that could be used from a very old 8mm film

• I finally got around to watching the Sky Arts "documentary" Discovering Genesis. It's part of a "Discovering..." series with a different subject each time, discussed by whichever 3 or 4 journos were available on the day.

It starts at Charterhouse and within about 3 minutes it's at The Lamb and PG leaving, having not bothered mentioning Trespass or NC, or Phillips leaving. In no time Hackett's also gone and Collins is now "in charge". The rest of it focuses on how much influence his solo career had on them, though there's an unexpectedly generous 2 mins on Wilson.

My favourite bit is a reference to "Steve Hackett's Bach-inspired organ noodlings".

Abandon all reason

• ....and must now offer up apologies for having forgotten that Mr.Farmer already gave us the heads-up on this thing.

Abandon all reason

• I finally got around to watching the Sky Arts "documentary" Discovering Genesis. It's part of a "Discovering..." series with a different subject each time, discussed by whichever 3 or 4 journos were available on the day.

It starts at Charterhouse and within about 3 minutes it's at The Lamb and PG leaving, having not bothered mentioning Trespass or NC, or Phillips leaving. In no time Hackett's also gone and Collins is now "in charge". The rest of it focuses on how much influence his solo career had on them, though there's an unexpectedly generous 2 mins on Wilson.

My favourite bit is a reference to "Steve Hackett's Bach-inspired organ noodlings".

I made this available as a download, it's on the previous page. I guess you missed it.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• ....and must now offer up apologies for having forgotten that Mr.Farmer already gave us the heads-up on this thing.

It's actually quite enjoyable in a bizarre kind of way. I'd recommend it to any Genesis fan who have a decent knowledge of of the band and a slightly warped sense of humour. Definitely say avoid to anyone else !!

• It's actually quite enjoyable in a bizarre kind of way. I'd recommend it to any Genesis fan who have a decent knowledge of of the band and a slightly warped sense of humour. Definitely say avoid to anyone else !!

Yes there are some real nuggets on Genesis history!...clearly over the last 45 years or so i have been mislead by other sources of band information🤣

• A couple of pages from a 1980's magazine called "Which Compact Disc" which I subscribed to. It covered the whole industry, from the music to the discs to the hardware it played on and industry news. ( eg/ Hard to believe now, but in the mid-80's, there was a shortage of CD pressing plants internationally, and announcements of new ones like Sony's in Austria in around 1987 was a big deal!)

These 2 scans are of an article in the July 88 issue, clearly it was intended to be continued, but I don't have that issue any more.

Ian

• Nice article about Genesis around the time of NC being released. I never really knew they were a four piece for so long before Steve joined, and the different configurations they had in that time sound interesting (keeping Ant's amp in place on stage but plugging Tony's piano into it, Barnard covering of course, and most interestingly a friend of Phil's playing one single gig with them. Wonder if there's any recordings).

https://www.loudersound.com/fe…genesis-and-nursery-cryme

• Interesting interview with John Edginton - director of Genesis: Together and Apart (aka Sum of the Parts) and host of the full length YouTube interviews:

External Content youtu.be

• It’s PG instead of Genesis proper, but Toyota in the US has been using “Solsbury Hill” (sans vocals) in their ads on TV.

I was quite surprised when I heard it. I guess I’m ok with it.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• This month's Prog magazine includes a 2023 calendar of Paul Whitehouse artwork including Genesis and VdGG album covers, though my real reason for getting it is a feature on Days Of Future Passed, the Moodies album, on its 55th anniversary, plus 4 Moodies postcards.

Ian

• This month's Prog magazine includes a 2023 calendar of Paul Whitehouse artwork including Genesis and VdGG album covers, though my real reason for getting it is a feature on Days Of Future Passed, the Moodies album, on its 55th anniversary, plus 4 Moodies postcards.

Hackett provides a - brief - contribution to The Moodies piece, as well as turning up elsewhere in the magazine.