Genesis in the media

• https://ultimateclassicrock.co…sis-watcher-of-the-skies/

Read this and got me thinking that in all these years, i am not sure that i have ever heard the edited single version!...although sounds like haven't missed much...no mellotron😔

I have heard it. If my memory serves correctly, it was an Italy-only single release (possibly just mainland Europe, but I think it was Italy-only). It did appear on a best-of early Genesis compilation CD that also came from Italy. (I never owned this CD - it was too much money to spend just for one song; one of my friends had it back in college). It is very guitar-oriented; I don’t recall any Mellotron.

P.S. I read the story more closely, and obviously it came out in Germany too. Maybe it was just released on the mainland? 🤷‍♂️

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I just purchased Rock Theatre. The single version of WOTS is identical to the one on Archive #1 but it is not remastered. The whole CD has the old masterings from the 70's, actually I am thinking about getting it on vinyl too. The new remasters/remixes sound a lot clearer but they are all mastered in that smash in yer face loudness fashion. The old masterings are muddy but that's the sound I got to know Genesis, it is like taking me back to my childhood. I never realised the difference between old and new mastering is so huge. Also, the selection and sequencing of Rock Theatre works really well, even though it is quite an unusual compilation. Its cover shows Peter in his Slipperman costume but the record does not include a single track off The Lamb. According to reviews several people were tricked into believing this to be a live album so I guess if that's what it was aiming for it tried intentionally to avoid any songs off Genesis Live which was the only official live album at the time Rock Theatre was released.

• I watched some of 3SL and was reminded how terrible it is - badly filmed, the flow of the live footage disrupted by other stuff, songs out of order and butchered by edits.

Abandon all reason

• Someone goes to the trouble of forewarning people about 7hrs of free to air Genesis on the TV, and the one comment is someone moaning about the editing on 3 sides live (which hasn't been on tv for 8 yrs).

This is probably why people have given up notifying this forum of interesting content, complete disinterest. There was 6 hrs of Gabriel not so long ago ... silence.

3sl IS worth watching, for the "keep on turning" varilites alone, I can still smell the smoke.

• I think we’ve had seven notifications of tv or magazine news this year so far (a couple of which are from Backdrifter, who also started the thread). Plus others about hearing Genesis on the radio. They all started some interesting debates. It’s still April so I think that’s pretty good for a band which has stopped working now. (Apart from solo work) I can’t remember the 3SL product as it’s a long time since I watched it so can’t comment until I watch it again.

• It's hardly scratching the surface of what's been on tv in the last few months and years. And then there's the internet, full of riches, never discussed or highlighted

If you don't have the dvd, the 2014 version of 3sl with rescanned 16mm video and remixed surround sound on telly is something I'd have thought all Genesis fans in this country would be interested in.

Edited 2 times, last by vl1 ().

• I watched some of 3SL and was reminded how terrible it is - badly filmed, the flow of the live footage disrupted by other stuff, songs out of order and butchered by edits.

I quite agree. The film editing is very subpar on the 3SL concert video. It's like they didn't think that anyone viewing it had the attention span to pay attention to the band playing live for any length of time. I don't know which is worst--the scenes that were edited into the ATOTT concert film during classic sections like the closing instrumental part of Cinema Show and Apocalypse in 9/8, or the butcher job they did to the 3SL concert. The tacked on audience noise on the 3SL video doesn't help either.

• I quite agree. The film editing is very subpar on the 3SL concert video. It's like they didn't think that anyone viewing it had the attention span to pay attention to the band playing live for any length of time. I don't know which is worst--the scenes that were edited into the ATOTT concert film during classic sections like the closing instrumental part of Cinema Show and Apocalypse in 9/8, or the butcher job they did to the 3SL concert. The tacked on audience noise on the 3SL video doesn't help either.

Oh, nothing can beat the scenes added to the TOTT film 76...still cringe when i watch it and wonder what were they thinking at the time

• Oh, nothing can beat the scenes added to the TOTT film 76...still cringe when i watch it and wonder what were they thinking at the time

When I revisited the 76 film last year for the first time in about 40 years it didn't seem so bad as I remembered. Yes the pointless film inserts are ridiculous and we get major edits that leave some songs as segments but last week I felt more irritated by 3SL for all the above reasons plus for some reason we have to watch Hugh Fielder interview them. I'd now prefer to watch the 76 one given the choice.

Abandon all reason

• Oh, nothing can beat the scenes added to the TOTT film 76...still cringe when i watch it and wonder what were they thinking at the time

I read somewhere that the audience scenes while Phil is belting out the "666" section of Supper's Ready are actually tacked on from a Yes concert. Perhaps that explains why the audience looks mainly bored (in one scene you can literally see some teenage kid asleep).

• I read somewhere that the audience scenes while Phil is belting out the "666" section of Supper's Ready are actually tacked on from a Yes concert. Perhaps that explains why the audience looks mainly bored (in one scene you can literally see some teenage kid asleep).

Apparently so. I think we picked up on the disengaged audience members here! (see the posts that follow)

Abandon all reason