Your Favorite Band Outside of Genesis

• My top 10 of all-time would probably be (the order changes on a daily basis) ...

1a. Genesis

1b. Marillion

3. Neil Finn/Crowded House/Split Enz

4. Patty Griffin

5. Aimee Mann/Til Tuesday

6. The Alarm (not Mike Peters solo)

7. The Clash

8. Frightened Rabbit

9. The National

10. Tori Amos

• I've tried many times to get into Steven Wilson and his many projects but the music just hasn't connected with me for some reason.

I feel the same . My personal reasons would be his voice and at times the feeling his music is at times, form over substance. Brilliant musician undoubtedly but he seems to write songs that are too big for his voice, I had the same feeling with PT and sometimes I feel he gets carried away with his own brilliance.

• Okay, speaking of ten:

Prog

01. Genesis

02. IQ

03. Marillion

04. PT/SW

05. The Flower Kings

06. Pendragon

07. Yes

08. Spock`s Beard

09. Pallas

10. Grobschnitt

Non Prog

01. The Byrds

02. The Who

03. The Rolling Stones

04. The Beatles

05. Pink Floyd

06. Elton John

07. Eric Burdon

08. CSN &Y

09. MMEB

10. The Police

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• I feel the same . My personal reasons would be his voice and at times the feeling his music is at times, form over substance. Brilliant musician undoubtedly but he seems to write songs that are too big for his voice, I had the same feeling with PT and sometimes I feel he gets carried away with his own brilliance.

Agreed. For me, there are two musicians whose music I should love but I just can't connect for some reason; Steven Wilson and Elvis Costello.

• I am a devoted fan of the Rolling Stones & Elton John. Most other acts I don't own their entire catalogues, for instance Pink Floyd, Queen , Roxy Music & Bruce Springsteen.

I was fanatical about the Eagles until Glenn Frey died & they decided to continue without him. I had been losing interest in them anyhow as I had seen them too often & their catalogue was far too small to maintain interest. The same could also be said of Dire Straits but I never tired of Dire Straits.

• Neil Finn/Crowded House/Split Enz

Good choice. Neil Finn is such a great songwriter.

Two of my favourite lines from any song ever:

Don't stand around like friends at a funeral

and

The guilty get no sleep

In the last slow hours of morning

Brilliantly evocative. I saw Crowded House a few times, their comic banter was a joy.

I don't know Frightened Rabbit, what are they like?

Abandon all reason

• Neil Finn is such a treasure whether he's solo or in one of his many group projects. I never tire of his songs because they are so immaculately crafted both musically and lyrically. For those who love prog, he even has a sort of prog song from last year called "Where's My Room". Frightened Rabbit were a Scottish rock band and sadly their main songwriter Scott Hutchison died last year. Such a sad story. You can read about it online but he was one of the great songwriters of this generation. They had their own sound but their influences were Big Country, U2, The National, and The Clash. Their album "Midnight Organ Fight" is a perfect album (for me). "Painting of A Panic Attack" was their last album and was their most polished and accessible album. Pedestrian Verse is also an incredible album. See below for a performance of my favorite song of theirs.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Oh, so difficult...

Camel (duh)

Tangerine Dream

Klaatu

Redshift

ELO

Arc

Could go on for a while, but the above is what i usually pack on my phone/tablet while travelling.

oh: and Floyd :)

and ELOY

• The Moody Blues, together and apart, are my #1

What have the Moody Blues done apart that's particularly good? They're the only band I named that I don't have any solo/related works by.

Traffic is my other favourite band.

Thank you. That makes me feel a little less like an oddball.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• What have the Moody Blues done apart that's particularly good? They're the only band I named that I don't have any solo/related works by.

These are particularly great examples of work done apart from The Moody Blues

Justin Hayward and John Lodge - 'Blue Jays' (1975)

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Justin Hayward - 'Live In San Juan Capistrano' (1998) on DVD or Blu-Ray (playing solo and Moodies songs with his fabulous band) My wife and I were at this gig :)

External Content m.youtube.com

• What have the Moody Blues done apart that's particularly good? They're the only band I named that I don't have any solo/related works by.

All of Justin's solo albums are great, John's second one, from about 3 years back is too, Ray's first is superb, the second a bit less so but has it's moments, and Mike's second is good, his first, a curate's egg, but the closing 3 tracks are worth the outlay. As for Graeme's 2, it depends on whether you like Adrian Gurvitz or not, as he co-writes, plays guitar and does most of the singing.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• If I had to pick just one - and I didn't need to ponder too long on who it would be - it would be Zappa. And, of course, it was Genesis who led me to Zappa when I watched the Visible Touch documentary back in the late eighties where Phil mentioned how he heard Chester play on the Roxy And Elsewhere album and offered him the gig with Genesis because of the double drumming on that record.

• Too many fab bands collected since 1970 to mention. A lot already identified by others here but some of my favourites include:

Stackridge

Anathema

Pineapple Thief

Dear Hunter

Enid

Kayak

Earth and Fire

Satellite

Riverside

RPWL

Barclay James Harvest

Mandalaband

• I could easily list lots of bands I enjoy but since this thread asks for that one other band besides Genesis I can only say: there is none. It used to be Queen for a long time, every now and then the likes of Steely Dan or The Beatles occupy that place, for a time it was Toto, but in the end I can't name a band that takes the same permanent interest as Genesis do. The thing with Genesis is, funny enough, I don't listen to them all the time, a good deal of their records I haven't even had a listen to for years, nonetheless there is no other band I know so many details about - who gave which input into which song, who suggested which instrument should be played, etc. etc.

• We appear to have very male-centric tastes don't we.

Just out of curiosity what female artists and female-fronted/voiced bands do we like? I ask also as I find I Iike quite a few and am always up for hearing of ones I don't know.

Some of mine are St Vincent, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Goldfrapp, School of Seven Bells, KT Tunstall, Pixx, Stealing Sheep, Sharon van Etten, Crystal Castles, She Drew The Gun, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Julia Holter, Throwing Muses... lots of others.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Just out of curiosity what female artists and female-fronted/voiced bands do we like? I ask also as I find I Iike quite a few and am always up for hearing of ones I don't know.

Heart

Renaissance

Kate Bush

Jefferson Airplane

Touchstone

District 97

Mostly Autumn

Glass Hammer

Lana Lane

Kaipa