Your Favorite Band Outside of Genesis

Just out of curiosity what female artists and female-fronted/voiced bands do we like? I ask also as I find I Iike quite a few and am always up for hearing of ones I don't know.

The one I am most fanatical about is Sandy Denny.

I like virtually everything she’s been involved with.

The Fairport Convention albums featuring both Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson in the lineup are nothing short of iconic IMO.

I thought Fotheringay and her initial solo releases were great, and even the early Strawbs album she was on was enjoyable.

Janis Joplin would probably be my second favourite, but there are at least a dozen more artists or female-fronted bands I have albums of and enjoy listening to.

Those include Etta James, Joni Mitchell, Nina Simone, Jefferson Airplane, Magenta, The Cranberries, Sarah McLachlan and the first couple of albums by the Eurythmics.

• Just out of curiosity what female artists and female-fronted/voiced bands do we like? I ask also as I find I Iike quite a few and am always up for hearing of ones I don't know.

Don't think I have Jefferson Airplane & District 97....X/

Love Kate Bush & Renaissance. Glass Hammer is another favourite of mine. ;)

Judie Tzuke is another artist I love too!....8)

• Camel

Twelfth Night

IQ(Lens) as well

Pendragon

Stackridge

Quaterna Requiem

Ryan Yard

Glass Hammer

Nova - Italian band(includes Phil Collins) on one of the albums

Satellite

RPWL

Wintergaten

William D Drake

Chris Bruin's work

Ali Ferguson

Flairck

Greenslade

Goblin

Millenium

Panther & C

Plus a thousand more bands ^^

• Female artists?

Kate Bush

Joni Mitchell

Stevie Nicks

Aretha Franklin

When I was younger & a huge country rock fan, Linda Ronstadt. I'm sorry to say that's about it. I have a couple of famous albums by women, like Tapestry by Carole King, but I was never interested in getting the whole catalogue. Karen Carpenter was a great singer but a compilation is enough.

Hubby loves Heart & he used to be a big Pat Benatar fan. I never took to her.

• GOASTT (Ghost Of A Saber Tooth Tiger) with Charlotte Kemp Muhl and Sean Lennon. Highly recommended. I guarantee you will love their music. Charlotte is amazing and Sean has lots of his Dad in his voice.

• We appear to have very male-centric tastes don't we.

Just out of curiosity what female artists and female-fronted/voiced bands do we like?

Very few! I’ve liked a handful of female-fronted bands – the Pretenders, Blondie, some of Siouxsie, & now Starcrawler - or bands with female members e.g. New Order whose keyboard player is female, & Abba. But the only female solo artists are Kate Bush & early Lily Allen.

Some of the most highly rated female artists leave me cold. I must be the only person who doesn’t like Janis Joplin, or Carole King’s Tapestry - but I’d rather listen to either of them on loop than have to endure Adele or Ellie Goulding! ^^

• My faves have already been named:

Nina Simone

Joni Mitchell

Sandy Denny / Fairport

Kate Bush

Jacqui McShee (Pentangle), although it helped she alternated with the male singers.

I also quite like the sunny voice of Shakira, but not her music.

Wait, I nearly forgot Nina Hagen, who did two good albums at the very beginning of her career. Ideal with Annette Humpe did one good album as well.

• Noni, probably my current favourite lady. Incredible voice

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• How can such a voice come from a young Swedish girl? Gorgeous.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.