PETER GABRIEL - Rated PG: album with film songs (RSD 2019) - review now online!

• Official Post

Peter Gabriel will release an album with film songs in the frame of the Record Store Day 2019.

More info can be found in our news item here:

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…with-film-songs-n562.html

• "Rated PG" - That's great!

"Down to Earth" -- I have this track, purchased as a digital download. This song was one of the few things I liked about WALL-E.

"Walk Through the Fire" - I have this on the AGAINST ALL ODDS soundtrack. A long time ago I had the single version which, as I recall, was a little different; unlike the album version, it had a creepy voice saying "WALK TWOO DA FI-YA!" at the beginning and at least one other point in the song. I wonder which version will be on "PG."

"In Your Eyes [* film version from Say Anything - previously unreleased]" - How does this differ from the SO version?

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• That'll Do will be nice to have (funny how his old bandmate was so readily criticised for writing songs for Disney yet here is Peter writing a song about a talking pig and receiving nary a whisper of negativity). Will the song he wrote for the Gremlins film be on there? Out Out?

• it had a creepy voice saying "WALK TWOO DA FI-YA!" at the beginning and at least one other point in the song.

Blimey, that's not how I remember it! You make it sound more comical than creepy! I recall it starting with a sort of treated rasping voice reciting the title and yes you're right it crops up again later. I wasn't keen on this song, it had an element of "will this do?" that can happen when musicians are asked to do a film song. I found it substandard, as though he'd dug up an offcut.

Some of his later film songs were better and the album should be interesting but with each reheating of old stuff he's done over the last 15 years I become more convinced he's got nothing new to offer. I wonder whatever happened to all the songs he said he had stockpiled, and to the planned I/O album.

Abandon all reason

• Peter Gabriel has been described as one of rock's most ambitious, innovative musicians. Those days are long gone. It's a shame the 5-man G-band missed the opportunity to re-form while they were still in their prime. They could have written and recorded tons of new music over the last 3 decades.

• t's a shame the 5-man G-band missed the opportunity to re-form while they were still in their prime. They could have written and recorded tons of new music over the last 3 decades.

And when did that opportunity present itself? Once he left, Gabriel had no intention of returning.

• Even though many of us already have a few of these tracks, it looks like a decent compilation with several previously unreleased songs.

Finally something tangible to look forward to from Gabriel.

• Official Post

Well, this thread is about the Rated PG album - and it's a special in the frame of the Record Store Day, so not a real new album.

But nevertheless, it has some tracks on it that are nice to have - there is even a completely unknown song plus a new version of Party Man, which has always been a favorite of mine. So, I'm happy that Peter will release these songs - and I keep impatiently waiting for new music / a new album

• Well, at any point in the last 20-30 years, reuniting for a tour, or for any reason at all, would have been wonderful.

But that is a period during which PG was very active with his own career immediately post-So, approaching Us, setting up Real World and becoming involved in various projects behind the scenes. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this was also the period when he had personal issues to deal with. All of that would be enough of a barrier to reuniting but on top of that is his resistance to divert away from his solo career trajectory with what he regarded as a backward step - he once likened it to being told, while working at your job, that you've got to go back to school.

Genesis were post IT touring, pre-WCD, doing solo stuff. I suppose it seems maybe there was an apparent lull in the years leading up to CAS but then PC had just left and makes it very clear in his book how relieved he was to be out of it. There was absolutely no chance of it happening... except in the hopeful minds of many fans!

Abandon all reason

• Even though many of us already have a few of these tracks, it looks like a decent compilation with several previously unreleased songs.

Finally something tangible to look forward to from Gabriel.

Sadly it's what most qualifies as tangible by this stage!

Abandon all reason

• Blimey, that's not how I remember it! You make it sound more comical than creepy!

Well, I only heard it a couple times, and that was over 30 years ago, so my memory may not be totally accurate!

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I've heard both versions and the soundtrack version (without whisper at the beginning) was the one I knew first and much preferred.

Edited once, last by Sredni ().

• Love the site. New to the forums. Does anyone on here know if the Record Store Day release is only in Europe or will it be available in the states as well?

• Official Post

Just look for stores near you:

https://recordstoreday.com/

I made a quick check for Chicago and found plenty ...

• Official Post

We have added an info page for the RATED PG album here:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…Info-and-review-s704.html