Rick Beato breaks down Dance on a Volcano

• Fascinating stuff:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(Counting+breathing exercises included!)

• Rick did a great job - I would love to see him conduct a musical interview with any member of the band about the technical composition of the music.

"She looks at me and gently smiles, as if she knew I'd ask her all the time..."

• Rick did a great job - I would love to see him conduct a musical interview with any member of the band about the technical composition of the music.

You'd probably be disappointed! Genesis were not virtuoso musicians; ask them why they played that note over that chord and they'd be likely to say "Because it sounded right"! I saw Phil interviewed on the Donahue show circa late eighties and an audience member asked him if it was true that he could play 5/4 with one hand and 6/8 with another (I'm guessing at the time signatures as I can't rightly recall what they were). Phil was thrown by the question, answering "If you've heard me play it then I really am that good!"

Some of the greatest musicians who ever lived couldn't read music. But they felt it and they played what they thought worked and sounded right.

• Absolutely nobody could hold a candle to them when they were ON.

Well, much as I adore them, if we are strictly talking about musicianship a couple of names would spring to mind, the same apply if we consider exclusively songwriting. As a blend and sum of both areas though, at least in 70-80 decade, I 'm inclined to agree with you and that song is a wonderful example.

• Official Post

That is really interesting and excellent.

He also did one about Peter:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Well, much as I adore them, if we are strictly talking about musicianship a couple of names would spring to mind, the same apply if we consider exclusively songwriting. As a blend and sum of both areas though, at least in 70-80 decade, I 'm inclined to agree with you and that song s a wonderful example.

Took me long enough, but I've learned to live in a rather nice world where others' accomplishments do not detract from the stuff I'm currently obsessing over - so yes, I totally agree with you - fantastic bands such as King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Camel, National Health or Magma do spring to mind :)

• Speaking of obsessing over stuff, I went back to the YT page and saw this comment:

Ian B il y a 3 jours (modifié)
    Hey Rick! big fan of your channel! I'm the keyboard player for The Musical Box and this song is part of our current tour. Great job on the analysis. In fact, I picked up a good tip from your video on how to do the count in just before the drums come in for the main chorus riff. We were counting it as 4 bars of 7/8 (28 eighth notes) but the way you do it as 3 bars of 4/4 plus 1 bar of 2/4 (14 quarter notes) is actually much easier and more natural to count to what is actually being played by the 12 string guitar! Thanks!

PS there's more than just the choir mellotron during the verses in terms of keyboards but im not allowed to publicly divulge that kind of info... lol.

How nice is that? I don't suppose Tony would feel like chiming in too? :)

• That is really interesting and excellent.

He also did one about Peter:

External Content youtu.be

The whole series is both interesting and entertaining, as for Peter, I wished Beato would have picked another song but I guess this is one of the most popular and it was a hit.