The Best Genesis Tribute Bands

• Official Post

Hi everybody

I am thinking about promoting Tribute bands more on this site. We do report about THE MUSICAL BOX frequently and they also have their own tour dates page here. Same with The Caroet Crawlers

Nevertheless, there are a couple of Tribute Bands around that would justify a separate tour dates page.

So, do you have suggestions for me? I noticed some of you like LOS ENDOS. Anything else?

• YES!

I have been promoting "The Genesis Show" as often as I can on the site. They are outstanding! Musically, they are to the 4-man (and early 3-man) Genesis what "The Musical Box" is to the Gabriel-era.

I'll continue to post about them - I'm seeing them in both April and June; they are doing an Abacab tour for the first time after doing a "Seconds Out" set since their inception.

Their website is:

https://www.thegenesisshow.com/

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• [Blocked Image: https://thebookofgenesis.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/IMGP6903arwf_des_1503ct.jpg]

Can I suggest anyone craving early Genesis give us a try. Here’s our latest promo, which has hopefully may appeal to some!

2019 offers our audiences a significantly different experience - sort of Genesis Live and then Seconds Out, plus Nige as 1973 Peter Gabriel with the appropriate hair, parting and makeup plus pyrotechnics for a certain song!

For the first time we are using video effects and video sequences in the backdrop screens. In the Seconds Out set we feature double drumming sequences which adds further to the authenticity of the experience!

2019 is simply our best show ever.

We must point out that double drumming and pyros are very much venue dependent(see detail below). Don’t miss out on the opportunity to see the best ever Genesis Tribute show! There are limited venues available and limited seats. These shows will be selling out, so don’t leave it too late, please 😊

13th April Crescent Theatre, Birmingham £21.25/£19 (inc double drumming, pyros and John Hackett!) Tickets here

27th April The Plaza, Romsey £17 (inc double drumming) Tickets here

1st June Charterhouse £19.80 (inc double drumming) Tickets here

15 June Aylesbury £13.50 (no double drumming or pyros) Tickets here

27 July Salisbury Arts Centre (double drumming) - tickets soon to be released!

28 September The Spring Arts and Heritage Centre, Havant (no double drumming) Tickets here

26 October Hanger Farm, Totton, Southampton (no double drumming) tickets soon to be released!

8 November The Tropic, Ruislip (no double drumming) Tickets here

• Official Post

Thanks for your input so far! That really helps to get an idea what kind of tribute band is actively touring AND respected by fans outside Germany.

• Personally, the best I have seen is The Watch. I have seen ReGenesis who were wonderful and Musical Box who were good albeit very expensive but The Watch are the most enjoyable.

I didn't get to see The Watch when I was still living in England (they sound great, though); however, I did see ReGenesis, and they are very, very good too.

I also saw the tribute band "Mama" when I was there too - are they still around? They were quite good as well. I also saw "Los Endos", another excellent tribute. Are they still around as well?

Edited once, last by OneForTheVine ().

• http://www.mama-genesis.co.uk - still around, I saw them twice in Chester, John Wilkinson, the vocalist, was appointed as a moderator at the same time as myself on the old forum, but he drifted away, I guess the band took his time up. They were very good, John and the bassist, Dave Jones, who I think played his first show the first time I saw, them were very good.

PS: Dave plays bass on 3 tracks on the new Tim Bowness album.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• http://www.mama-genesis.co.uk - still around, I saw them twice in Chester, John Wilkinson, the vocalist, was appointed as a moderator at the same time as myself on the old forum, but he drifted away, I guess the band took his time up. They were very good, John and the bassist, Dave Jones, who I think played his first show the first time I saw, them were very good.

PS: Dave plays bass on 3 tracks on the new Tim Bowness album.

Ah, I’m glad they are still going - I saw Mama twice, once in Nantwich and once in Sheffield, about 5 or 6 years ago. I’ve met John; he’s a very nice guy. And that’s great news about Dave - I hope it leads to more opportunities for him.

• Official Post

Ok, MAMA are also interesting. Looks like we've got some work to do :)

• Hi all

No I haven't been taken up to one of those strange planets over there....

I just been very busty with stuff.

So people kindly mentioned Mama her so I thought I would post a link to some videos.

They are all available at our website where you can see all the latest show information too

http://www.mama-genesis.co.uk

Little snippet for you all

https://youtu.be/I-B6qkRknoo

My view on tribute bands has always been as follows:

We are all (mostly) fans of Genesis and we do what we do out of a love for the music. So why don't you go and give all the tribute bands your support.

Best wishes

John

• Alan from Los Endos Ultimate Genesis here - promote away!

We're very much alive and well and playing Gabriel/Hackett era Genesis.

We don't let costumes on overweight blokes get in the way, we just play and sing the music as accurately as it can be, with a spectacular light show as you would expect :D

We are here www'losendos.co.uk and our shows listed here https://www.losendos.co.uk/gigs.php

2020 is "Take a Little Trip Back" - the fans choice of songs from the albums from Trespass to And Then There Were Three.

• Yes, The Genesis Show is superb! I love The Musical Box, but the vibe with TGS is different and cool. They are 5 regular guys who as I understand it met in high school and bonded over their mutual love of Genesis. The band members all live regular lives with 9-5 jobs and families and thus only perform semi-regularly. Their next show is at the Levoy Theater in Millville, NJ on Oct 16, 2021. It’s a combo Three Sides Live/Six of the Best setlist. Can’t wait to see them again!

• Yes, The Genesis Show is superb! I love The Musical Box, but the vibe with TGS is different and cool. They are 5 regular guys who as I understand it met in high school and bonded over their mutual love of Genesis. The band members all live regular lives with 9-5 jobs and families and thus only perform semi-regularly. Their next show is at the Levoy Theater in Millville, NJ on Oct 16, 2021. It’s a combo Three Sides Live/Six of the Best setlist. Can’t wait to see them again!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I’ve seen several of the tributes in England multiple times, always a great night out. The Musical Box do what they do better than anyone else ever could. But I’ve probably had even better nights out at Regenesis and G2 gigs. Looking forward to seeing G2 again and would love Regenesis to have another go. Now I’ve retired I intend to try as many as possible.

• Speaking as someone who was in a Genesis Tribute band (that's me on the double neck, 12-string and bass in the above posted video of the Genesis Show), it's hard to pick a "best" tribute band and in fact, I would avoid doing so. If you want to relive EXACTLY what Genesis produced in the early '70s, then it's hard to beat the Musical Box. But I view them almost as a Broadway show (I don't mean this disparagingly) in that everything is exactly the same, night after night after night. They literally reproduce (or used to anyway) ONE show in a given tour. The other band names mentioned are much more "live" and "loose", if that makes any sense, definitely the way Genesis were back in the day, IMHO. So a mix of both types is really cool; I hope you encourage all these bands as they pour their soul and sweat in reproducing very complex music. Cheers.

• Speaking as someone who was in a Genesis Tribute band (that's me on the double neck, 12-string and bass in the above posted video of the Genesis Show), it's hard to pick a "best" tribute band and in fact, I would avoid doing so. If you want to relive EXACTLY what Genesis produced in the early '70s, then it's hard to beat the Musical Box. But I view them almost as a Broadway show (I don't mean this disparagingly) in that everything is exactly the same, night after night after night. They literally reproduce (or used to anyway) ONE show in a given tour. The other band names mentioned are much more "live" and "loose", if that makes any sense, definitely the way Genesis were back in the day, IMHO. So a mix of both types is really cool; I hope you encourage all these bands as they pour their soul and sweat in reproducing very complex music. Cheers.

I agree 100% about the Musical Box. Given the fact that most of the time they are either doing the LLDOB tour or SEBTP tour I’ve wondered how the band doesn’t get bored out of its skull playing the same music note for note and telling the same Gabriel-era stories word for word for nearly 30 years. To their credit they are mixing things up on their current tour, with the first half of the show being stuff from ATOTT thru ATTWT and the second half being Gabriel-era material. That decision to mix things up may be a product of financial necessity. The last couple of times I saw them doing the SEBTP tour (this was prior to Covid) the theater was maybe 2/3 full. Prior to that every show I saw them perform was sold out.

• I agree 100% about the Musical Box. Given the fact that most of the time they are either doing the LLDOB tour or SEBTP tour I’ve wondered how the band doesn’t get bored out of its skull playing the same music note for note and telling the same Gabriel-era stories word for word for nearly 30 years. To their credit they are mixing things up on their current tour, with the first half of the show being stuff from ATOTT thru ATTWT and the second half being Gabriel-era material. That decision to mix things up may be a product of financial necessity. The last couple of times I saw them doing the SEBTP tour (this was prior to Covid) the theater was maybe 2/3 full. Prior to that every show I saw them perform was sold out.

Probably quite true. As an uber mega Genesis fan (I actually study all the parts), even I got slightly bored watching, for example, my 5th SEBTP tour concert from TMB. They are also officially licensed by Genesis, i.e., I'm guessing that they need to pay them some pretty significant royalties to use their slides and other props. Maybe all of this is contributing (in addition to boredom - I know I would be) to the change-up that they're exploring in the current tour. The downside is that they sort of lose their raison d'être by doing so - people associate TMB with an exact replica of an old Genesis show. Doing a "best of" detracts from that. There are pros and cons of course. Take care, Andre.

• Probably quite true. As an uber mega Genesis fan (I actually study all the parts), even I got slightly bored watching, for example, my 5th SEBTP tour concert from TMB. They are also officially licensed by Genesis, i.e., I'm guessing that they need to pay them some pretty significant royalties to use their slides and other props. Maybe all of this is contributing (in addition to boredom - I know I would be) to the change-up that they're exploring in the current tour. The downside is that they sort of lose their raison d'être by doing so - people associate TMB with an exact replica of an old Genesis show. Doing a "best of" detracts from that. There are pros and cons of course. Take care, Andre.

In addition to seeing Genesis this November I’ve got tickets for both The Genesis Show and The Musical Box this fall. To be perfectly honest at this point I’m much more excited about seeing Genesis and TGS. Hopefully mixing up their setlist will reignite my love for TMB.