The Ballad of Penlee (Invisible Men)

• This song, from the original CD release of INVISIBLE MEN (which is the one I have), definitely stands out to me as being different from the rest of the album. IMO this is by far the best track on that release to be sung by Richard Scott.

Anyway, I finally got around to looking up what the "Tater Dhu" is. At least the lyrics printed in the CD booklet give the correct spelling; it seems that all the lyrics that can be found online spell it "tatterdoo"!

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Official Post

I must say that I never really cared much about this album. It's somewhere, but never paid attention So, I will give that one a new chance ....

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Worst feature of INVISIBLE MEN: The drum machines.

Best feature of INVISIBLE MEN: Ant's best singing ever.

Richard Scott sounds like a more conventionally strong singer, but IMO generally sounds less distinctive and convincing than Ant does here. "Penlee" would be the one exception.

• I love that song. And I disagree about Ant's singing, on Invisible Men I don't like Ant's voice too much and I think it's a pity Richard Scott did not get to sing more songs. There's other songs Ant sang at other times when I like his voice a lot better. Anyways, Ballad of Penlee, yes one of Ant's best.

• For example "She'll be waiting". Or most of Wise After The Event. I can only speak for myself but those are examples I like his voice a lot better than on the majority of Invisible Men.

Interesting how different people hear things differently. I've always considered WISE to have been seriously brought down by Ant's vocals as they were at the time (particularly his habit of lapsing into a "creaking" sound), and wished the album could have been sung in his INVISIBLE MEN voice! Oh well.

At any rate, I can't argue with the idea that Richard Scott could have sung more on INVISIBLE MEN. As I mentioned, there's no doubt that he was a more conventionally strong singer.