Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler

• I am going to revive this in order to attempt a top 20 Mark Knopfler songs.

1. Sailing To Philadelphia

2. Silvertown Blues

3,. Why Aye Man

4. What It Is

5. Done With Bonaparte

6. The Trawlerman's Song

7. 5.15 A.M.

8. Donegan's Gone

9. Going Home (theme from Local Hero)

10. In The Sky

11. Hill Farmer's Blues

12. Prairie Wedding

13. One Song At A Time

14. Marbletown

15. Golden Heart

16. Song For Sonny Liston

17. River Towns

18 Postcards From Paraguay

19. A Night In Summer Long Ago

20, Everybody Pays

That is almost impossible. I love all his songs. The only one I have a problem with is Secondary Waltz from Kill To Get Crimson.

• I'm not too familiar with MK's solo stuff but I love Dire Straits. Deeply underappreciated band imo.

I'd rank the albums

Making Movies. Most albums are not this ambitious, and most are not this good. I nearly wore out my cassette copy.

Brothers in Arms. Masterpiece.

Love Over Gold. Telegraph Road has to be the longest song that occasionally gets stuck in my head for hours. Supper's Ready and echoes don't.

Communique

DS

On Every Street

Fun memory. I bought Alchemy on cassette when it was released. I was maybe 12. I went to meet my friend and his father at a restaurant/bar. I had mushroom soup and so did my friend. My friend's father had a few pints of Guinness. He drove us home and insisted we listen to my new cassette on the way. The intro crowd part is long, like a minute or two of cheering. My friend and his dad were bemused by this purchase of mine. He kept turning the volume up. Then Calling Elvis blasts into high gear and he started cheering and weaving all over the road in time to the song. We arrived alive. I have no idea how we weren't pulled over.

Is anybody home? Fortunately we were!

• I credit this thread for giving me the spark to explore MK’s solo works further and discover some great albums that I didn’t have before.

Within a year I went from having one to seven albums of his, and I’ve still got my sights on getting more. He’s been my most-listened to artist in the last year.

What initially brought me to the table with Dire Straits ages ago were songs like Lady Writer and Down To The Waterline where the guitar solos provide a compelling climax.

What kept me there were the endearing qualities of songs like Portobello Belle and In The Gallery.

I discovered his solo work favours his lyrical and melodic strengths.

I think when I picked up that first solo album which I was initially lukewarm to, perhaps I expected more of a balance with stinging guitar solos interspersed throughout.

Since then, after picking up more of his albums and broadening my expectations, I've embraced the subtle beauty of releases like Shangri-La or Tracker without feeling that there’s something missing.

• Yes. You don't want him to keep repeating himself. He already wrote Sultans & R&J. He can't write those songs again. He does something different on each album.

As for the Calling Elvis video:

It is not a great song, though.

• Thanks for posting the video, it's as good as I remember. I'd forgotten about the very attractive woman so she was a bonus. That haircut, very nice.

It is not a great song, though.

Very few songs by any artist are! Not being a Straits fan, for me it's pretty good.

Abandon all reason

• Well that's it, you see. For me the vast majority of DS songs are indeed 'great' (as are a large number of Genesis songs). Calling Elvis always seemed like they were trying to cash in on the cult which developed after Elvis' death.