PETER GABRIEL | The Making Of i/o - general info and discussion

• Official Post

There is no official statement yet what mixes will end up on the album. Also, we don’t know if there will be an extra disc with alternate mixes or something else.
    We can assume there will some kind of additional surround version.

• Official Post

Given they've gone to the trouble of producing the mixes, I for one, will be very surprised if they're not made available in physical form. Even if only as part of a deluxe edition of the album.

Yes, exactly. Would really be a big surprise if a surround mix of any kind wasn't part of a physical release.

• I was kind of assuming Peter would release two different versions of i/o: One, with the Bright Side mixes, and the other with Dark Side. I know it's been done before-the one that immediately comes to my mind was Shania Twain's album (ironically also called) Up!, which had a red version and a blue version-one where the songs had a strong country-sounding influence, and the other which was mixed to be more "poppy" and "crossover."

I also thought PG might just release the album with whichever versions he released first each full moon.

Personally I feel the mixes sound too close together to put both versions on the same release. The differences are very subtle. If they were literal remixes, similar to the very different sounding mixes PG released of I don't Remember, I Have the Touch, Games w/o Frontiers, or Growing Up, to me it would make sense. As was mentioned on here earlier, Joe and Jane casual listener will probably not be able to discern much if any of a difference between the two and see it as redundant. Therefore the cost to put both on there-and charge more for the copy-wouldn't be worth it IMO.

Regarding a surround mix, that would be awesome-but I personally think I'll be getting it on vinyl. I suppose there'd be nothing wrong with getting both! ;)

• Official Post

No it’s quite clear that a physical release will happen. That was also confirmed to us

• Yes, exactly. Would really be a big surprise if a surround mix of any kind wasn't part of a physical release.

I really want the surround mix(es) to be sold separately.

It's hugely frustrating when they are only included in mega-expensive box sets including vinyl (which I don't want), CD versions (unnecessary) and silly little trinkets like key rings, fake road crew passes, postcards, etc.

• I really want the surround mix(es) to be sold separately.

It's hugely frustrating when they are only included in mega-expensive box sets including vinyl (which I don't want), CD versions (unnecessary) and silly little trinkets like key rings, fake road crew passes, postcards, etc.

This is exactly how I feel about a similar release by Ozzy Osbourne, See you on the Other Side. It's a vinyl collection of all of his albums, and a bunch of additional trinkets like that. The set is literally hundreds of dollars-and all I really want is two or three of the albums on vinyl-and as far as I can see they are not releasing the albums separately!

• I really want the surround mix(es) to be sold separately.

Agreed. I hope there will be some kind of stand-alone release for the surround sound album, Blu-ray audio perhaps?

• Personally I think I/O should have a physical format, on LP and cd.

Let me explain. Their performances are very well received by the public and critics, but there comes a time when you want to have the LP/CD at home and play it whenever you want.

Another question is how record companies work, is Peter Gabriel on a record company, would pg submit to the laws of the market?

With the "new" tracks of the tour you can make a Lp/Cd or also make a box set that includes the cd and a Blue-Ray with some concerts.

I would make a cd with the Dark version and the Bright version.

I am observing how EC= Eric Clapton has divided his last production (24 nights) in three parts: Blues, Rock and Orchestra. Saving the distances, Gabriel could do something similar: I/O on cd (Bright) + BlueRay tour; I/o on cd (Dark) + BlueRay tour i/o...

And then on LP.

When?

With Peter you never know?

• With the shock of So much being such a strong and emotional song (I hadn't imagined it was that good from the snippets I heard on YT ), I think we are on the road for a -very- strong PG album.

One of his best ?

There are still so many good songs to come: Love can heal, Live and let live, And Still, this is home .

I'm so grateful for this whole I/O experience.

• Official Post

With the shock of So much being such a strong and emotional song (I hadn't imagined it was that good from the snippets I heard on YT ), I think we are on the road for a -very- strong PG album.

One of his best ?

There are still so many good songs to come: Love can heal, Live and let live, And Still, this is home .

I'm so grateful for this whole I/O experience.

I feel the same. The songs are all very different. They all deal with serious stuff. Looking forward to seeing the final tracklist in a few months...

• I'm looking forward to seeing PG in October, when all these songs (presumably the ones he's played on tour) have been released! I would bet it'll be a very different experience then as compared to when he started the tour-as we will actually know the songs on the setlist, instead of half of it being new!

• Official Post

So, the WOMAD festival will have a listing party of the new i/o album (in aurround sound as it looks like), which will last one hour and the album will be presented in its entirety. That leaves somes questions ...

For example: Are there only 10 tracks on the album?

[Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im…php/v9/t40/1/16/1f4a5.png] WOMAD Exclusive! [Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im…php/v9/t40/1/16/1f4a5.png]Come along to a unique Immersive listening experience of Peter Gabriel's new album i/o, under Luke Jerram Studio's 'The Museum of the Moon' [Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im…php/v9/tb0/1/16/1f316.png][Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im….php/v9/tf4/1/16/2728.png]

Featuring all the tracks, the atmospheric setting and pioneering immersive audio system is the perfect way to discover Peters latest work in its entirety

The Secret Forest, Friday and Saturday 9:30pm - 10:30pm

• So, the WOMAD festival will have a listing party of the new i/o album (in aurround sound as it looks like), which will last one hour and the album will be presented in its entirety. That leaves somes questions ...

For example: Are there only 10 tracks on the album?

[Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im…php/v9/t40/1/16/1f4a5.png] WOMAD Exclusive! [Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im…php/v9/t40/1/16/1f4a5.png]Come along to a unique Immersive listening experience of Peter Gabriel's new album i/o, under Luke Jerram Studio's 'The Museum of the Moon' [Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im…php/v9/tb0/1/16/1f316.png][Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im….php/v9/tf4/1/16/2728.png]

Featuring all the tracks, the atmospheric setting and pioneering immersive audio system is the perfect way to discover Peters latest work in its entirety

I saw this posted last night. It’s a very interesting development. Thanks for confirming that it’s going to be the whole album.

I think this suggests that there are maybe less tracks on the album than people thought — and that i/o could be coming sooner than expected. The end of September is more likely now, as we’d have had three more tracks by then (10 in total). We know that ‘Love Can Heal’ and ‘Live and Let Live’ are definitely on the record; but that’d mean only one of ‘And Still’, ‘Olive Tree’ and ‘This Is Home’ will be on there…

Is anyone on here going to WOMAD this week?

All of this would mean there is very likely to be enough surplus (8 tracks or more) for another whole new album afterwards as well (o/i)…

• Official Post

Average length of the first 7 tracks are around 5 minutes. If total length is about 1 hour, that leaves room for 5 extra tracks, as planned.

it's 36:40 min so far. Live And Let Live could be the longest trach with 7 minutes. Perhaps you are right but this would also mean the remaining tracks are rather short, for Gabriel's standard. Or the "one hour" announcement is not accurate