PETER GABRIEL | The Making Of i/o - general info and discussion

• If "I'm Amazing" and "The Veil" are in any way indicative of the album then I'm preparing myself for a new champion in the "worst PG album" stakes. I found both songs to be incredibly underwhelming and they left me unmoved in any way at all.

However, the live "Love Can Heal" that popped up on Youtube I did quite like.

So who knows...?

• Official Post

If "I'm Amazing" and "The Veil" are in any way indicative of the album then I'm preparing myself for a new champion in the "worst PG album" stakes. I found both songs to be incredibly underwhelming and they left me unmoved in any way at all.

However, the live "Love Can Heal" that popped up on Youtube I did quite like.

So who knows...?

I‘m Amazing was a left over from the UP sessions, whether or not this was on the short list for I/O - we don’t know. For good reason this was not used anymore for a new album

The Veil was a track made for a film, like many others from Peter. They rarely indicated how a new album would sound like.

Love Can Heal is likely to be a new album candidate. But that was also 6 years ago. And back then he also rehearsed Radio Everyone and Rock Paper Scissors, sadly, there are no recordings of those tracks. But those were definitely candidates for his new album (at the time)

background info in our recording compendium .

• Official Post

Some other tracks, like Nocturnals or Animal nation, were also on a possible list for I/O (or more precisely "the new album). They were used elsewhere so I don't think they end up on the new album.

I am curious about Why don't you show yourself. It was not included on Rated PG, so maybe we will see this again in a different version?

This was the version used in Words with Gods:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Based on the comments in this thread it sounds like several tracks will not really be "new." I have to admit to being frustrated that--given that's it's been 20 years since the last "new" album--Peter is not able to come up with 8-10 tracks of genuinely new material.

• Official Post

Based on the comments in this thread it sounds like several tracks will not really be "new." I have to admit to being frustrated that--given that's it's been 20 years since the last "new" album--Peter is not able to come up with 8-10 tracks of genuinely new material.

nobody knows that.

On UP, he used I Grieve that was already used for City Of Angels.

So the possibility is always there, but let's see what comes.

• Based on the comments in this thread it sounds like several tracks will not really be "new." I have to admit to being frustrated that--given that's it's been 20 years since the last "new" album--Peter is not able to come up with 8-10 tracks of genuinely new material.

I get what you mean. But if the album has some previously released stuff on, it won't bother me as long as there is also new stuff and the whole album works.

Abandon all reason

• nobody knows that.

I think Sky Blue had also previously released or was in a soundtrack, incidentally IMO, the best songs on the album but a bit of an anticlimax, after waiting for so long and having announced he had a hundred of songs to pick from.

• nobody knows that.

Yes, I'm aware that I Grieve and the backing vocals for Sky Blue had been used elsewhere. Still, it would be frustrating to me if after all this time the "new" album was a mix of genuinely new material and previously used tracks.

• Official Post

I think Sky Blue had also previously released or was in a soundtrack, incidentally IMO, the best songs on the album but a bit of an anticlimax, after waiting for so long and having announced he had a hundred of songs to pick from.

Sky Blue was a track from the US sessions that didn't work at the time. A variation of the instrumental finale was used as "Cloudless" on Rabbit Proof Fence. Nothing wrong with that ... and it was released in the same year!

• External Content www.instagram.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In the Big Room @realworldstudios.

... we wait and we wonder! :)

• Official Post

This is a new article that sums up what Peter said at the Anna Gabriel book presentation last month

https://www.wxhc.com/peter-gab…m-is-reaching-completion/

• Official Post

WHO would have thought that?