PETER GABRIEL | The Making Of i/o - general info and discussion

• Newsletter says "It's been a while and I am now surrounded by a whole lot of new songs ..."

Is it just me thinking ... this could be a double album?

I and O - does it make sense?

• Newsletter says "It's been a while and I am now surrounded by a whole lot of new songs ..."

Is it just me thinking ... this could be a double album?

I and O - does it make sense?

Input/Output; Signal to Noise. Makes as much sense as "Up" or "So". As for it being double, given the length of many albums these days, I'm expecting two slabs of vinyl, even if the 4th side contains a pretty etching.

• Hahahahaha! I'm loving that Peter Gabriel's first new album in 20 years is announced, with a tour as well, and we're going "Ooh not sure about these fonts and colours..."

But it's all we've got to go on! Wait till the album drops, then the real bitching can begin.

Of course in truth I can't wait... Very curious to see what he'll come up with.

• But it's all we've got to go on! Wait till the album drops, then the real bitching can begin.

Of course in truth I can't wait... Very curious to see what he'll come up with.

same here ... was expecting a first track or something like this together with the tour announcement. But obviously production is still ongoing ...

At least we can be very sure he won't tour without a new album out.

• Yes... in theory we can say the new album should finally be out some point before Thursday 18th May. The UK full moon prior to that is Friday 5th May.

Are albums generally still usually released on Mondays, or has that changed??

• Official Post

Yes... in theory we can say the new album should finally be out some point before Thursday 18th May. The UK full moon prior to that is Friday 5th May.

Are albums generally still usually released on Mondays, or has that changed??

no, Fridays! At least in the UK and Germany and most other EU-markets

• no, Fridays! At least in the UK and Germany and most other EU-markets

Plus the US. Indeed, I think it's pretty much a worldwide standard now. Perhaps except for Japan. Of course whether Gabriel tries to repeat his "lunar release" method he unsuccessfully attempted for Up is another matter...

• Input/Output; Signal to Noise. Makes as much sense as "Up" or "So". As for it being double, given the length of many albums these days, I'm expecting two slabs of vinyl, even if the 4th side contains a pretty etching.

ok, perhaps you are right and it will be a 74 minutes album

• Can't believe it, it's really afoot!

New full moon video

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That's great news. The snippet is pretty organic / sounds like only real instruments were used. Probably Peter didn't use a lot of programming stuff on i/o? We will find out soon, I guess.

• That's great news. The snippet is pretty organic / sounds like only real instruments were used. Probably Peter didn't use a lot of programming stuff on i/o? We will find out soon, I guess.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, though it's hard to extrapolate to the rest of the album. The little bit here sounds very organic indeed, and has a nice sense of urgency. Hope to be able to catch a show.

• I agree we can't infer anything from that snippet with regard to the overall sound of the album, though it's intriguing to hear those few moments.

All the other tracks, and the rest of that one, might be a mix of ambient drone/industrial/grime/hard-core drill/dark-wave folk for all we know.

I burst out laughing when that video ended and a thumbnail appeared enticing me to watch "Cancelling Christmas Is SINISTER says slab-faced lip-bibbling twerp Neil Oliver of Heebee Geebee News"

(Their capping, though I may have tweaked some of the wording)

Abandon all reason

• Isn't that how much music a standard CD can hold?

No. 80 minutes is the red book official time, though you can squeeze more on. The longest commercially produced CD is(was?) a Herbert Von Karajan disc on Deutche Gramafon, 81 and a bit minutes BUT over 80 you are not allowed to display the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo as it's not to spec and may not play on all machines.

74 minutes was the limit back in the early days (till about 1988) due to the fact that, at that time, the only way of creating a portable master copy of the digital file was to copy it onto a Sony U-matic tape, using a video recorder and a PCM encoder. The CD mastering plant had to have the same equipment to decode it. The longest Sony U-matic tape? 74 minutes!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!