PETER GABRIEL | The Making Of i/o - general info and discussion

• No. 80 minutes is the red book official time, though you can squeeze more on. The longest commercially produced CD is(was?) a Herbert Von Karajan disc on Deutche Gramafon, 81 and a bit minutes BUT over 80 you are not allowed to display the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo as it's not to spec and may not play on all machines.

74 minutes was the limit back in the early days (till about 1988) due to the fact that, at that time, the only way of creating a portable master copy of the digital file was to copy it onto a Sony U-matic tape, using a video recorder and a PCM encoder. The CD mastering plant had to have the same equipment to decode it. The longest Sony U-matic tape? 74 minutes!

Good to know! I knew a CD-R could be either 74 or 80, and the 80's didn't always play in every player, so assumed 74 was the standard.

• My comment about a 74 minutes album was indeed just a hint it could fill a whole CD. The title i/o could also mean it's a double album. Since we know he has been working on 20+ tracks it could be possible, but I don't think that's likely. Can't wait anyway. I assume it will arrive shortly before his tour starts ...

• As entertaining as it is that the colours and fonts we've seen so far, and 25 seconds of a song, are being picked apart and forensically analysed I'm disappointed that the studio environment and equipment visible in the video aren't being pored over at molecular level. C'mon guys!

Plus of course he speaks in the video. Can we not spot some linguistic code within his words that reveal everything about the album and tour including track sequencing, setlist and stage design?

I don't think we're trying hard enough here...

Abandon all reason

• As entertaining as it is that the colours and fonts we've seen so far, and 25 seconds of a song, are being picked apart and forensically analysed I'm disappointed that the studio environment and equipment visible in the video aren't being pored over at molecular level. C'mon guys!

Plus of course he speaks in the video. Can we not spot some linguistic code within his words that reveal everything about the album and tour including track sequencing, setlist and stage design?

I don't think we're trying hard enough here...

😆.

I've noticed sometimes a reddit comment will become the basis for an entire news 'article' on a weird site, and they appear to be entirely bot-generated including a superficial history of whatever the subject is. I wonder if we could do something similar for PGs upcoming tour. "Upcoming Peter Gabriel tour will be BIZARRE if fan theory holds true". Followed by an article about the audience having to wear blindfolds and noise cancelling headphones while being dressed as teletubbies. Or something.

• Official Post

When's the last time PG recorded anything uptempo?

"Growing Up" maybe?

"Burn You Up Burn You Down"?

• Hello,

Is is just me or does "Panopticon" sound a lot like "Baby Man"? Not a huge issue since Baby Man was only played live during the Still Growing Up tour and partially released on Family Portrait. But still you could have imagined he would have moved on, ten years after...

• Hello,

Is is just me or does "Panopticon" sound a lot like "Baby Man"? Not a huge issue since Baby Man was only played live during the Still Growing Up tour and partially released on Family Portrait. But still you could have imagined he would have moved on, ten years after...

Are they going to be the support act? :P

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

Hello,

interesting thought ... once we hear the complete track, we should know more.

• Official Post

snippets from the new track without spoken word:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.