PETER GABRIEL | The Making Of i/o - general info and discussion

• snippets from the new track without spoken word:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

saw this the other day. Actually I now have high expectations. Can't wait to hear more!

... make tomorrow today!

• My son has been signing "E-I-E-I-O" for days now, and eventually the "I-O" at the end had me imagining what it would be like if the title track to Peter's new album was Old Macdonald Had A Farm and it's hard to stop imagining his breathy vocals going "with a moo moo here, and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo" over a glitchy low-fi techno backing track.

• Official Post

/ Peter Gabriel: First i/o single "Panopticom" (genesis-news.com)

The first track has appeared in New Zealand. See link above.

• Can't wait until midnight :love:

The new snippet sounds like a different version compared to the full moon video. I assume this here is the single version and the album version is different.

• Saw the full moon video.

Did he really say he wants to release one track every full moon until the album is complete? Does that mean we won't see the complete album before September???? Did I misunderstand something?

• Saw the full moon video.

Did he really say he wants to release one track every full moon until the album is complete? Does that mean we won't see the complete album before September???? Did I misunderstand something?

Haven't watched it yet but if he literally said release one track every full moon until the album is complete it doesn't necessarily mean he's releasing the entire album via one track every lunar cycle. It might mean the album will be ready by (eg) April and until then there's a track released every full moon, meaning possibly 2 more releases then the album gets its proper full release.

Abandon all reason

• Here it is ‘

I suppose it all works if he is not intending to release the album until after the tour.

I like the whole full moon thing and the slow release of tracks. As long as he releases the ones he intends to play on tour on the next six months it would work out fine. Plus he can then road test them, tweak the mixes and then finish the album after the tour. However, he does talk about going to great lengths to get the track order right. I had assumed he meant he was realising them in album order but perhaps this is part of the process of sorting the order out. He does move in mysterious ways and at glacial speed so time will eventually tell.’

But I think Backdrifter may be more on the right track

• It's a strange and unique release plan, if he sticks to the one-track-per-month-plan. For somebody like me, pretty old school, even stranger ... I prefer to have a single, then the complete album. Now it's all digital singles and an album at some point...

Well, you know Peter, anything he can do to postpone and procrastinate. He has now reached the point where he can pass it as innovation:)

• It's a strange and unique release plan, if he sticks to the one-track-per-month-plan. For somebody like me, pretty old school, even stranger ... I prefer to have a single, then the complete album. Now it's all digital singles and an album at some point...

I've been thinking about this release strategy a lot lately because another of my favorite bands (Smashing Pumpkins) are smack in the middle of releasing a new 33-song album 1 track at a time. Their new songs come out weekly on a podcast, and at the end of the 33 weeks the whole album will be released. They also tried to do a one song/month release like Peter is doing back in 2009 or so, but that fell apart after 8 or 9 songs (the album was supposed to be 44 songs release over 44 months. Stupidly ambitious, or maybe just stupid).

At any rate, I guess me point is releasing albums piecemeal isn't totally unique. Robyn also released Body Parts in 3 EPs before the whole album came out if I recall correctly, though that's obviously different from one song at a time. Maybe there are other examples. FWIW, having been through the one/month experience with SP in 2009, it wasn't great. The gap between songs was too long. I'm really enjoying one/week because you get to enjoy each song in a way you mightn't with a full album release. Much the same as the way TV used to be, versus binging a new series on Netflix.

• Official Post

I'm Amazing (2019) is a candidate for being up-tempo.

This track was recorded during the UP sessions (see here) and the single itself was released in June 2016, not 2019.

The closest we get to new music is probably The Veil, also 2016, but a more recent idea. See here.

• Official Post

Curious what comes next / tomorrow.
    will it be a ballad? Up-tempo? Something experimental?

• Official Post

A lot of updates were added to our Making Of I/O article this year. Check it out here

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…he-Making-Of-IO-s161.html

• My apologies if this has already been discussed or confirmed elsewhere but I'm wondering, in light of these different mixes, if i/o is going to be a double album with different mixes of the same songs on separate discs.

I can think of a number of artists who have done that very same thing.

• I think that for most people the differences between both versions are really too subtle. I would actually like PG to compile the versions between the Bright and Dark mixes he wants us to listen to. The best I/O album would probably be a combination of both approaches, depending on the songs.

And we can hope he would then also release "The other sides" of I/O" on Bandcamp for the fans...?