PETER GABRIEL | The Making Of i/o - general info and discussion

• I don't think Peter would like to record another LP. He seems to not achieve (lyrics...) some song that he written so long ago. So an LP ? What a joke. Once again, Peter needs a new team and an agressive producer like Bob Ezrin if he wants to finish one of his different project.

• I don't think it will still be called I/O. And actually I don't really care anymore what it will be called, he just needs to release a bloody new record with new music. :)

Totally agree. peter is so creative, it's a shame he has created so little lately. Up is one of my favorite albums, and I was so excited that I/O was going to come out later that year or the next....

• 71, multi millionaire - the last thing I'd be doing would be work or trying to please strangers.

Depends how much you like what you do, really. I'm reminded of something Stephen king said once, that he retired after he published his third or fourth book (roughly something like that). The point being he didn't have to work anymore, writing became a hobby instead of a job.

Be sweet if people paid me millions to read, listen to music and veg out in front of the laptop.

• 71, multi millionaire - the last thing I'd be doing would be work or trying to please strangers.

you’ve got a point here - but then again, he always did stuff and worked on things we never would have guessed. I also think he wouldn’t do a real concept album like The Lamb, but I am also sure that a new album, if there is one, will not just be a collection of tracks

• anyone noticed both Phil and Peter have released their last album (not talking bout soundtracks etc) with new music in 2002?

True

But a new Collins album seems more unlikely than a new Gabriel record. At least we know that Gabriel has been working on new stuff for years ...

• Well, about a new album - I wonder how many of the tracks Peter initally wanted to use for I/O will end up on the final record. He must have had a clear idea what would end up on I/O, possibly Nocturnal, Baby man, I'm amazing etc - but I think none of those tracks will be considered (some of them were used elsewhere anyway).

What do you think?

• Official Post

Well, about a new album - I wonder how many of the tracks Peter initally wanted to use for I/O will end up on the final record. He must have had a clear idea what would end up on I/O, possibly Nocturnal, Baby man, I'm amazing etc - but I think none of those tracks will be considered (some of them were used elsewhere anyway).

What do you think?

I doubt he will use much of that. I mean the originally intended tracks. As you wrote, some of that was used elsewhere and to be honest, neither I’m Amazing nor Baby Man etc really would fit on a great Gabriel album.

So let’s see what he will come up with. I am sure Love Can Heal, which was played in 2016, will be on it.

Also, I’d love to hear Son Of Ovo at some point !!

• Official Post

Peter Gabriel says his new album is "closer than you think"

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…-than-you-think-n751.html

• That's great news, though I think PG may need to book smaller venues in the US as compared to his last several tours. I was surprised at the shows I attended back in the 2000s (Growing Up and Still Growing Up) at the number of empty seats and the rather docile nature of the audience. I recall in particular that his attempt to get the audience to sing along to "Jeux Sans Frontieres" was met with almost total silence.

• That's great news, though I think PG may need to book smaller venues in the US as compared to his last several tours. I was surprised at the shows I attended back in the 2000s (Growing Up and Still Growing Up) at the number of empty seats and the rather docile nature of the audience. I recall in particular that his attempt to get the audience to sing along to "Jeux Sans Frontieres" was met with almost total silence.

I'd welcome the opportunity to see him again, especially if he's promoting a new album.

The last two times I saw him in Toronto — 2002 and 2012 — they were arena shows and it was packed both times, but that's always been a good market for Genesis, Gabriel and classic prog bands.

• Official Post

Up took him ten years, the new one twenty. I sincerely hope that doesn't mean it's twice as boring.

I really enjoyed UP back in the day. Played UP recently in 5.1 again - it’s a masterpiece.

• I really enjoyed UP back in the day. Played UP recently in 5.1 again - it’s a masterpiece.

Not sure about masterpiece but I like it a lot and appreciate the way it grew steadily in my estimation, in fact still is. There's a richness to it, with lots of layers and textures and stuff it gives up gradually. I like when an album does that in these days of instant gratification. In that sense it sounds like an album that took years to make.

It's too much to hope the new one will be twice as good but whatever the case, it'll be interesting.

Abandon all reason

• Not sure about masterpiece but I like it a lot and appreciate the way it grew steadily in my estimation, in fact still is. There's a richness to it, with lots of layers and textures and stuff it gives up gradually. I like when an album does that in these days of instant gratification. In that sense it sounds like an album that took years to make.

Agree with all of this. They are precisely the reasons I love that album.