PETER GABRIEL | The Making Of i/o - general info and discussion

• I trust a unicycle and penny farthing also feature. Maybe a scooter?

Naturally! JC is a bit of a show off and wows the masses (and the mass) with his circus skills:

The crowd believe this is sorcery, and crucify him. In a surprising turn of events, despite being nailed to a cross, he escapes on his cousin's penny farthing:

The cross is slowing him down. He breaks free and makes a dash for it. Go, Christ, Go!

The ankle nail has wrecked the front chassis. He is resourceful, and eventually arrives home on his mate Fred's scooter:

The album ends on an inspirational note, as JC offers to help sell Fred's scooter to raise funds for his daughter's girl scout camping trip. He has given it a fresh coat of paint, and makes a promotional flyer showing him blessing it.

• All the above calls to mind Richard Herring's Christ On A Bike show. Mr FIC loves this guy. I find him mildly amusing at best.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• All the above calls to mind Richard Herring's Christ On A Bike show. Mr FIC loves this guy. I find him mildly amusing at best.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I think he's great too, If Mr FIC isn't aware of them (and I'm sure he is) check out Fist of Fun, 2 series of TV shows with Stewart Lee, and "That was then, this is now" several series of BBC radio shows using his history knowledge as a source of gags. Among other things, he once edited the Wikipedia entry on Osama Bin Laden to imply he was a time traveller, to add to a gag on his show.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I think he's great too, If Mr FIC isn't aware of them (and I'm sure he is) check out Fist of Fun, 2 series of TV shows with Stewart Lee

And the radio FoF before that which is worth a listen if you can get hold of it. Post-TV FoF they did a late-night radio show I can't recall the name of but was also very good. After the Sunday morning TV show This Morning With Richard Not Judy, which I also enjoyed, they were axed by a BBC Controller who didn't like them.

I've seen a couple of RH's live shows but never heard or seen his podcast which is odd as I like him and am a bit of a podcast follower. But I only ever hear good things about his.

A favourite feature of FoF was Lee's take on fairy tales and children's stories, substituting humans for animals eg The Ant and The Man, 101 Men, and Goldilocks & the Three Men - "Look, I'm not being funny or anything but I think someone's been sitting in my chair. Though how I'm quite so sure, I don't know."

Abandon all reason

• Mr FIC also loves Stewart Lee, and I get him even less than I do Herring.

I seem to be very good at taking topics off their subject at the moment. Let's hope this album does come out soon. It's been a long time.

• Official Post

Shh. He might increase it to 17 songs again and we'd be waiting another two decades.

unlikely with a tour booked for 2023 and possibly beyond ...

• quite honestly - I don't need a "So 2" and I hope his new album will be a surprise. Having said that, I also hope for strong and powerful songs.

I agree, SO came at a time where he needed something more accessible and commercial, and the whole music industry was all about that. With all of this behind him I should hope Peter just goes his way. That said and being a massive fan, it pains me a bit to say that, I don't think we can no longer expect anything experimental from him. He seems to have lost interest. Not holding my breath.

• Official Post

I agree, SO came at a time where he needed something more accessible and commercial, and the whole music industry was all about that. With all of this behind him I should hope Peter just goes his way. That said and being a massive fan, it pains me a bit to say that, I don't think we can no longer expect anything experimental from him. He seems to have lost interest. Not holding my breath.

please explain. He did experiment with all sorts of things - for some his music was too experimental. I'm curious what he might come up with next.

• please explain. He did experiment with all sorts of things - for some his music was too experimental. I'm curious what he might come up with next.

Of course he did, massively, his last releases though have been more conventional and it's no criticism, it's just a natural curve. When an artist begins releasing Christmas, American songbook or, like in Peter's case, orchestral albums, these are clear indicators of an artistic period not exactly brimming with creativity and running its natural course and why not? He's had quite the career. His last original material album was 22 years ago and IMO not his best effort and he seems to have lost a bit of interest, so of course, I'll be happy if and when he releases an album but I'm no longer sitting at the edge of my seat.