Which GENESIS tours did you see?

• Official Post

Well, I was born too late for that. But friends of mine still tell me stories about that wonderful show at Hamburg's St Pauli stadium in 1982.

On the other hand - I also saw them in Drtmund 1998

• Started with the Invisible touch tour and have seen them on every tour since then. Wish I could have been at a Mama tour gig or 76/77 show.

Earlier shows would also be something, but thanks to The Musical Box I kind of had the experience how that might have been. :love:

• Started with the Invisible touch tour and have seen them on every tour since then. Wish I could have been at a Mama tour gig or 76/77 show.

Earlier shows would also be something, but thanks to The Musical Box I kind of had the experience how that might have been. :love:

Quite. They are a gift to the world IMO!

I think the relatively recent Selling England show was amazing, though the extravaganzas were great too. Where else are you going to see Seven Stones!

I'm really hoping those Lamb shows don't get cancelled, as I've got tickets for 2 shows.

• Following up on my previous post about my 10 Genesis concerts which I was fortunate to have seen, the ones I would loved to also have seen were the Reunion concert of 1982, anything from the 1977 Seconds out and the 1978 Mirrors tours :(

• Official Post

Wow, amazing that you saw them live all those years. Seeing the Foxtrot shows must have been incredible.

• Official Post

all new members: please vote / choose your options in the poll and let us know about your experiences and shows you have seen.

• Having only (seriously) discovered the band in the early 2000s, I was fortunate to see the band in Helsinki on the TIOA tour. I can still remember first walking then running through hallway of the stadium when the first notes of "Duke's Intro" boomed from the speakers.

• Well, I was born too late for that. But friends of mine still tell me stories about that wonderful show at Hamburg's St Pauli stadium in 1982.

On the other hand - I also saw them in Drtmund 1998

Wish I could have seen the Crimson support show. As well as being too young to go I would probably have been too naive to enjoy it. (Ditto Talk Talk at Milton Keynes.) My brother was there (at both), though.

• Official Post

Wish I could have seen the Crimson support show. As well as being too young to go I would probably have been too naive to enjoy it. (Ditto Talk Talk at Milton Keynes.) My brother was there (at both), though.

a friend of mine saw then during the lamb tour in Germany, regretting years later that he was too young (17) to understand what he has witnessed …

• 1976 - Stafford New Bingley Hall

1977 - Manchester Free Trade Hall

1977 - London Earls Court

1977 - London Earls Court

1978 - Knebworth Festival

1981 - Birmingham NEC

1982 - Leeds Queens Hall

1982 - Milton Keynes Bowl

1983 - Birmingham NEC

1984 - Birmingham NEC

2021- Leeds First Direct Arena

• The above plus (assuming nothing untoward happens in the next 2 weeks):

Oct 7&8 2021 Glasgow SSE Hydro

Oct 12&13 2021 London O2 Arena

Abandon all reason

• I properly got into Genesis after the We Can't Dance tour had already ended and was looking forward to their next release only for Phil to quit the band. I ended up getting the Congo single but I wasn't as enthused about the CAS line-up so had no inclination to see them live. I was just left picking up the remainder of the back catalogue and any other new releases they put out. I assumed I'd missed my chance of seeing Phil with the band but I promised myself that in the unlikely event he ever returned and toured I would get tickets to see it without hesitation.

I made good on that promise by going to the Old Trafford gig in 2007. Still the best gig I've been to - not that I've been to many.

I thought I'd been lucky to see one tour with Phil in the band in 2007. Can now up that to two tours after seeing them in Leeds last night.

• I got into Genesis around 1979 when I was 14, roping some of my school friends in as well. When the band decided to do the Duke tour and the tickets sale dates were announced, plans were made for a bunch of us to skip school and queue up overnight outside the Manchester Apollo UK. This in itself was a fantastic experience. Come the morning and the Apollo doors opening we were in a fairly good place to be able to secure tickets. Unfortunately by the time the doors opened the queue had twisted itself around the building, across open wasteland with the end of it meeting the start. People at the end of the queue must have thought it was their birthday as the two ends became one. So after all the effort we missed out on tickets. So on the 18th April 1980 and the first night of them in Manchester, me and my schools mates stood outside the Apollo and listened to the whole concert. I was near to tears when the opener, Deep In The Motherload started. The positive here though was when they finished we were waiting at the stage door for them and managed to see all the band leave, unfortunately, not hanging about.

I was more successful gaining tickets in the following years although I missed Six of the Best as my mum wouldn't let me go.

Abacab - Birmingham NEC Dec 1981

Three Sides Live - Birmingham NEC Sept 1982

Three Sides Live - Chester Deeside Leisure Centre Sept 1982

Mama - Birmingham NEC Feb 1984

Invisible Touch - Leeds Roundhey Park Jun 1987

Invisible Touch - Wembley Stadium Jul 1987

We Can't Dance - Leeds Roundhey Park Jul 1992

We Can't Dance - Manchester Apollo 30th Oct 1992

Calling All Stations - Manchester Nynex 6th Mar 1998

Turn It On Again - Manchester Old Trafford 7th Jul 2007

The Last Domino - Birmingham Arena 20th Sept 2021

The Last Domino - Liverpool, M&S Arena 4th Oct 2021

Some things I remember from above: We were lucky to get to my first concert due the weather as we had to travel a fair distance and it was snowing heavily. We had a few near death experiences on the way. The Deeside gig in '82 was the second best one I've been to due to being quite close to the stage, being stood up and my first hearing of Suppers Ready live. My first Roundhey gig memory was the weather, Paul Young as support and getting out of the car-park. Wembley Stadium on the IT tour was the next day following Leeds. Travelled down from Manchester on my own and bought a ticket from a tout outside the Stadium. Five years later and Roundhey again. Remember seeing Jimmy Savile out jogging (who later introduced the band on stage) and then the 5 hour wait to get out of the car-park, again. Same tour and then Manchester. The best concert I have witnessed. I had good tickets, maybe 8th row from the stage but when they came on everyone ran to the front and I ended up against the stage two foot from Phil at times. CAS next in '98. walked out half way through after a while as did a lot of people. TIOA at Man United's ground, great to see them back together again. Finally to this year. Me and the wife witnessed the opening night at Birmingham and I've never sang out load at a Genesis concert before. It was fabulous. We were sat in the back corner, one of "the tiny people at the back, look there they are!". For the Liverpool concert we were 10 rows from the front. Unfortunately the night was marred by some obnoxious women who wouldn't sit down, even though numerous people asked her to and which ended up her being forced down by a right hook from my wife. It raised the biggest cheer of the night.

• Wembley, 2 July 1987 was my first. Fantastic gig, even if full of IT material that I wasn't a fan of. Had a great position too, between mixing tower and stage. Paul Young + band got terrible treatment in the support slot, bottled by a crowd who really weren't interested in his flavour of music. I also remember the sound of that gig was way more powerful than comes across in the Wembley video, which sounds very polite by comparison.

Then Knebworth 92. Great gig, and we had a brilliant position again - very similar distance from stage as at Wembley. It was a really energetic performance with a stunning stage / light show. In contrast, Earls Court 92 felt like a band going through the motions (as does the video of the Earls Court shows, to me anyway).

Couldn't stomach seeing them on the CAS tour. End of. Ray Wilson is a great singer and could have helped them forge a new path, but the material was/is beyond awful and they didn't fully gel as a live band.

Then Twickenham 2007. Great show with some really high/emotional moments, but inconsistent too with Phil seeming off pace at times (drums).

Of the shows I attended, Wembley would come out tops, then probably Twickenham but only because the reunion setlist was better than in 92. Performance-wise they were much better at Knebworth 92 than Twickenham 2007 but I like the older material, so Twickenham nudges ahead. The Earls Court gig was pretty average as far as I am concerned; definitely the worst of the four times I've seen them. It's not that they put a foot wrong, it's just there was no passion in the performance. It felt like a box-ticking exercise.

Would have loved to have seen earlier tours, particularly the 75-77 period, but the Duke and Encore tours were fantastic too. My brother saw them at Hammersmith in 1980 and he still says that was one of the best gigs he ever attended.

Thanks to The Musical Box it's been possible to get a good flavour of the Foxtrot and SEBTP tours.

In terms of solo tours, I would like to give a shout out to Steve Hackett for his Momentum acoustic tour. I remember seeing him in Southend on that tour (supported by Mae McKenna) and it was bloody brilliant. There was also a meet and greet afterwards. Great vibe.

• Official Post

For everybody who has seen the current tour in the meantime (or will do that shortly), you may add this in the poll on page 1

• Like a few other people here, I'm in my late 40s, so I didn't have a chance to see any of the earlier tours. And I didn't really get into the band until just after IT, so WCD was the first tour I saw.

WCD - Madison and Chicago

CAS - Had tickets for the Chicago show, but the US tour was cancelled

TIOA - Paris (got to meetup with some other fans from the old official board at a little bar the night before) and Amsterdam (I wasn't risking the US tour not happening again. So I started off the trip with a few days in Florence before heading to Paris, and it made for a really extraordinary divorce present to myself). Then Toronto, Pittsburgh, and Chicago

I've gotten to see The Musical box quite a few times (Foxtrot, White, Black, Lamb, Trick, Extravaganza), which works for me in terms of seeing some of the older tours. It's those middle years (Abacab, Encore, Mama) that I really wish I had been able to see.

• Hey, are you going to see The Musical Box November 20th? I see they are playing in Chicago. I have tickets to see them the following weekend in Philly. We saw The Genesis Show tribute band last month in New Jersey and my girlfriend was royally disappointed that they didn't play Supper's Ready (first time I've seen them when they didn't play SR). I've assured her (stupidly perhaps) that TMB will play SR. Just wondering if maybe you would mind posting a short review of TMB concert in the Cover Bands thread (if you see them on the 20th and if you have time). Thanks.

• Hey, are you going to see The Musical Box November 20th? I see they are playing in Chicago. I have tickets to see them the following weekend in Philly. We saw The Genesis Show tribute band last month in New Jersey and my girlfriend was royally disappointed that they didn't play Supper's Ready (first time I've seen them when they didn't play SR). I've assured her (stupidly perhaps) that TMB will play SR. Just wondering if maybe you would mind posting a short review of TMB concert in the Cover Bands thread (if you see them on the 20th and if you have time). Thanks.

I actually do have a ticket for that show (or maybe it's the other night they are playing in St Charles?) But in the end, I don't think I'm going to be going. They used to play at a theater on the north side of the city, which is dirty and smelly, and really great! Now they play at a theater pretty far out in the suburbs, which is considerably less convenient for me. I've been out there for a few shows, but I'm not sure I'm going to do it again this time. Sorry.

But I'm sure there's got to be a way to find out what they are playing. If I had to guess? Maybe not SR. It's such a long piece, I'd assume that unless they are recreating a specific tour where they played it, they'll keep it out, to make room for other songs. I could of course be wrong, but that's my guess.

Have fun when you do go!