Members Titles?

• There should be a Duke/Duchess at some point. But we`ll surely have to work hard to get there.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• As we've guessed already, these rankings go on Genesis related song titles... Can anyone name a suitable title after Giant Hogweed.........................:/

• But given that we have already had Intruder, is it necessarily only Genesis? Beggar on a Beach Of Gold?! Sussudio? Queen/King of Darkness? Those are just thoughts I had.

• As we've guessed already, these rankings go on Genesis related song titles... Can anyone name a suitable title after Giant Hogweed.........................:/

There should be a Duke/Duchess at some point. But we`ll surely have to work hard to get there.

- Red Seven -

• I like the idea of a Duke / Duchess to follow Hogweed but then how about a ‘Watcher of the Skies’? Now, that would be something!

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~

• And as there’s an awful lot of intruders and lurkers out there, isn’t there scope to subdivide and introduce some ‘lawnmowers’?

• Hey, why not give everyone an up-grade and introduce a ‘carpet crawler’ for newbies with fewer than, say 20 posts?

• I‘ve been quite taken with this thread from Noni and consequently done some serious research into it since my hastily rattled off responses above (well, I need something to do, laid up with a bad back as I am, so please excuse my inner geek)

As a result of this research, I think it would encourage greater participation from ALL forum members to add extra labels to further subdivide the members according to their levels of contributions. I also think that using labels sourced solely from Genesis’ back catalogue rather than from the solo careers would be more widely accepted and understood as this is the umbilical cord that feeds the whole site. (I, for one, know nothing of Gabriel’s solo career and was initially alarmed to discover that I’d been labelled an ‘Intruder’ and thought I’d accidentally hacked into a section of the site reserved for administrators. Yes: really!! 😂) Anyway, enough of that....

There are currently 221 forum members of which the vast majority are either ‘Intruders’ whilst some are simply unlabelled. If we look in detail at the membership data the following is revealed:

Out of 221 members, currently, 135 members have made no postings and awarded no ‘likes’ whatsoever. Are they simply passive participants or are they dormant? Under a revised listing system, these could be considered a: DODO (as in the Genesis song but also in recognition of their inactive state as reflected in the English expression ‘dead as a dodo’ )

Once they become active, either through ‘liking’ another post or submitting 1-5 posts then they’ve started to move and like a small baby they could be classified as a: CARPET CRAWLER: (currently 40 members would qualify for this)

6-39 posts could be considered to be fully engaged in keeping the site functioning as a: LAWNMOWER (currently 28 members would qualify)

40-99 posts. These now have made enough postings to have risen in the ranks and taken on the mythical status of a: SQUONK (currently only 9 members would qualify)

100-249 posts. These are the mighty beasts that have now morphed into a GIANT HOGWEED (currently only 4 would qualify)

250 - 499 posts. These members deserve royal recognition for services rendered. These should be made into a: DUKE or DUCHESS (currently only 2 would qualify)

500+ posts. These are the very guardians of mankind. A true: WATCHER OF THE SKIES (currently only 3 would qualify)

I realise there are other criteria employed such as the number of ‘likes’ received etc which would need to be factored into the change and the boundaries where members move from one to the other may need to change. However, at present it is currently a bit de-motivating to make lots of contributons yet still be labelled the same as someone who has done nothing and whose account may even be dormant.

Hope this is a proposal you’ll all consider supporting and thanks to Noni who started this thread and to Slowdancer for the suggestion of Duke/Duchess.

Your good friend,

Gabble Ratchet

• Maybe you overestimate the importance of progressing user names in relation to the wish of people to participate. There are forums, which give no reward to huge post accounts at all (the Marillion Online Forum for instance) to stop people from post-whoring. I am quite happy with the solution here. I really don`t know, if I`d prefer being a Giant Hogweed instead of being a Squonk. Squonks rock.

- Red Seven -

• I suppose any system that awards titles based on contribution levels will always be vulnerable to ‘post-whoring’, as you put it. But since it exists on this site, then at least it could be made more meaningful. And can anyone really be content to have so many inactive / ‘dormant’ accounts out there? Ok, so it doesn’t motivate you, Slowdancer, but it might motivate others and a wider more participative Genesis community can only be a good thing in my books.

As for Squonks v Hogweeds; slow down or hibernate before it’s too late. 😀

• Posts don't mean a thing to me anymore. I prefer quality in threads not quantity..... When this site first started I wanted to start the usual title threads started from the old forum, so people could get a head start but stay familiarized ;)

I wanted the Prog news, plus bands own thread.. Also the usual what are you listening to thread. ^^

With almost 2 months now active, I can probably assume we have a nice home now.. :)  8)

Thank you Gabble Ratchet for all your kind words though!!..............:)

• Totally agree on the quality vs quantity argument Noni. In fact, if I had my way, short 1 liners wouldn’t get any credit at all. If members really want to climb through the ranks then they should have to earn it. Far too many “Yup, I agree” type postings imho