Mike about Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited tours

• Well, Steve is really preaching to the converted isn't he? I mean, the only people who are going to see him are his fans and, without his solo albums having any significant impact on the mainstream charts (which is probably harder now than it ever was, given the how the market has changed so much in recent years) I can't imagine he's picked up many new fans during his career. So those fans are already well aware of his past with Genesis. I just think it's a sad indictment of his solo material that the old Genesis tunes now form such a major part of his performances.

That said, I watched the video promo for Wolf Light the other day and if that song is indicative of his current solo material then it's small wonder he's not selling many records!

If I want to hear old Genesis stuff, then I want to hear it being played by Genesis. In which case, I turn to my library of bootlegs or official live product from the band. Although I like what Phil has done with the Genesis material in concert - his Hot Night In Paris album being the best example of a reinterpretation of the material and Invisible Touch with the horn segment arranged by Harry Kim is brilliant - there's really only one way to listen to Genesis stuff...and it doesn't feature Danny La Rue on vocals!

And yet, bizarrely, he's had more solo chart success since GR2 than he had before! And given that many online comments giving a positive spin to his new stuff are clearly not from long term fans, as most of us think his new stuff lacks the spark of originality he has shown for years, it seems he HAS picked up a whole bunch of new fans, some, maybe many of whom, are old Genesis never followed his career when he left. Wrong again, eh?

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Sugar Mouse is correct, SCD. You know naught of what you speak. If you can't see that Hackett is the only ex-member of Genesis who is capable of carrying the torch for the band, then it is you who are the deluded soul (to use your own words).

I've been going to SH gigs since 1980 and have never been disappointed. He surrounds himself with the best musicians, each of whom carries a lot of cred in the music business.

It appears you've got a thing out for Steve; don't know why. He has the right to play whatever Genesis songs he had a part in composing. I do agree his solo stuff has gotten samey, but the guy can play his ass off.

• Sugar Mouse is correct, SCD. You know naught of what you speak. If you can't see that Hackett is the only ex-member of Genesis who is capable of carrying the torch for the band, then it is you who are the deluded soul (to use your own words).

I've been going to SH gigs since 1980 and have never been disappointed. He surrounds himself with best musicians, each of whom carries a lot of cred in the music business.

It appears you've got a thing out for Steve; don't know why. He has the right to play whatever Genesis songs he had a part in composing. I do agree his solo stuff has gotten samey, but the guy can play his ass off.

For that matter, he has the right to play ANY Genesis song, as long as he pays the royalties! ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

I've been going to SH gigs since 1980 and have never been disappointed. He surrounds himself with the best musicians, each of whom carries a lot of cred in the music business.

I personally don't want to get into who here is or isn't deluded; we all have our own views. I agree Hackett can of course play whatever he chooses at his gigs and it's clear many fans appreciate the Genesis-heavy sets. That's fine, it's just that having been to a few recent tours, I can't fully agree that "holding the torch" is necessarily a good thing. Yes his band are clearly good musicians (though with a mediocre singer for the Genesis stuff) but rather than breathing new life into the material as was said earlier, I found they did the opposite. I'm probably in the minority but it simply didn't work for me. And while I kind of feel for Sylvan who by all accounts is a pleasant chap, but often gets a bit of a kicking from some here - including me - the fact is, the singer of the Genesis material has a huge part to play in bringing those songs to life. And sadly, I find he simply does not have the presence for that. In turn, that saps the life from the material.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Can we get back to the discussion please?

Personal insults are still not allowed on this forum! I have deleted several postings.

• Ah, but they're not my words. I got them out of the dictionary.

The rest of what you say is simply an opinion. If you consider the people in Steve's band in be the 'best' then that's up to you.

Incidentally, do people really still say 'you know naught of what you speak'

Our love (or hate) of a musician, band or genre of music is all down to personal taste, so anything said here should be taken lightly. I don't think anyone who comes here to post is against your right to express your opinion, but I see you're back doing personal attacks and that needs to stop.

• I hope that the main reason Steve has explored the older Genesis catalogue so much is because he really enjoys playing the songs again. When I saw him, he seemed to be really into it. And that's why I think these tours have been successful for him. He's playing songs that a segment of the broader Genesis audience loves and is playing them with what seems like a genuine passion.

I would not want to hear a half-hearted performance of a song, even if it is one I desperately want to hear live. So I would not want Mike (and Tony, and Peter, etc.) going through the motions of playing older classics ambivalently. If Mike is more into playing I Can't Dance, it will result in a more satisfying performance than if he had to push his way through a rendition of Fountain of Salmacis.

• Mike Rutherford was and he's still a great bassist when he wants to do it really (the last BBC's video show him very well on his instrument) but overall, he deciced to stay into the 'pop market side of his music'. So, that's make sense to play the awful 'I Can't Dance' instead of his old classic. That's a pity but it's like that.

Then, It would require a considerable effort to rework these old pieces. And Mike says himself that he prefers to compose than to seriously work his instrument. Also It's too bad that he would like to play as a lead guitarist (although he seems to play more bass guitar than before on the new Mechanics' team band and live show). He's an excellent rhythm guitarist but on lead, he has a poor vibrato and a bad control on his sustain notes.

For me, the best musicians on their 'initial instrument' in Genesis are Phil and Steve. It's not a coincidence that they arrive almost at the same time in the band...

Overall, I'm really impress about the Mechanics in a live situation right now. I do not understand why our new songs sound better in a live context than in a studio? Probably the mix lacks of dynamics and sounds too synthetic for my ears.

...But i prefer Steve's music for sure even if he's a less instinctive and (sometimes) melodic songwriter than Mike.

• Official Post

good points, Ben

It's the thing about variety. And also, there has always been a gap between what we want them to do and what they want to do. Mike wants to write pop songs, "raise the bar for writing songs" as he said. Fair enough. I really hope there will be more albums and maybe they manage to produce something exciting.

For guitar virtuoso stuff, I obviously prefer Steve.

We should keep in mind that these guys are nearly 70, Genesis is basially over and they ALL still make music. Who would have thought that 20 years ago???