MIKE RUTHERFORD - Acting Very Strange - 40th anniversary 2022

• I love Acting Very Strange. Funny that people prefer Hideaway, I always thought this was the worst song on the album. I love Couldn't Get Arrested, A Day to Remember, Who Is Fooling You and Maxine. Boy, I don't know how many times I listened to Maxine full volume. Great strong song. Of course, it is dramatically different from Smallcreep's Day, but then again, at the time, the music changed rapidly. Note how Peter Gabriel 3 is different from Peter Gabriel 2, Defector is very different from Spectral Morning, The Fugitive is more straightforward than A Curious Feeling, Abacab is more in your face than Duke. It was the moods of the time. The Police had influenced everybody, Phil caught the attention of a lot of people with Face Value, many bands changed their sound at the time. In that sense, Acting Very Strange is an exploration into more simpler, more straightforward music production and I believe it is a successful attempt that led the band into the next Genesis album ("Shapes") and made it a masterpiece. They had done their homework by that time.

Edited once, last by somsom ().