MIKE + THE MECHANICS - Debut album (1985) review

• Official Post

Hi everybody

We have added another review to our site, this time it's Mike + The Mechanic's debut album from 1985 - and we also open the discussion about that album.

Read the review here:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…cs-album-review-s391.html

• I can't say I agree totally with the review. For one thing, "Par Avion" is actually one of my favorite songs on the album. I agree that the other Kirby track, "You Are The One," isn't anything special, but my main problem with it is one shared by "All I Need Is A Miracle": an underwritten chorus that just repeats a couple of lines and doesn't go anywhere.

My favorite song on the album is "Hanging By A Thread," although I find the beginning confusing rhythmically, and also would have liked for the chorus to be repeated one more time at the end.

BTW, "A Call To Arms" is actually sung by both Carrack and Young, with Stashuck providing the female-sounding vocal part that's somewhere between backing and lead.

This is one of those albums that originally didn't grab me enough for me to keep it, but which I later returned to. When I listen to it in the car, I have the song order changed to a custom one that I prefer over the actual order.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Official Post

I agree probably more with your opinion compared to that of our reviewer. Having said that, I always find it interesting to have different views on the music.

• I am not a fan of Par Avion either, but for some reason I like You Are The One.

It's a great debut album. Some tracks don't stand the test of time (All I Need Is A Miracle), others are classics (Hanging by a thread, Call to arms, Taken in).

• I am not a fan of Par Avion either, but for some reason I like You Are The One.

It's a great debut album. Some tracks don't stand the test of time (All I Need Is A Miracle), others are classics (Hanging by a thread, Call to arms, Taken in).

Why do you think All I Need Is A Miracle doesn't stand the test of time? It is still my favourite Mechanics song.