TONY BANKS: "Banks Vaults: The Albums 1979-1995" Boxset [19/07/2019]

• Official Post

A new Tony Banks boxset is coming on 19th July.

Banks Vaults: The Albums 1979-1995

7CDs and 1DVD

remastered at Abbey Road Studios

more info:

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…aults-this-July-n603.html

• Excellent news!

I have just three of these seven albums.

I'll be happy to purchase a second copy of those three albums if it means I can get the four albums I've been missing all this time, plus these videos which I don't have either.

• Official Post

This sounds perfect for someone like me, who only has A Chord Too Far. Yes or no?

depends. Means all album will be remastered in one set, including The Wicked Lady. Not sure if this includes new mixes or just remasters. We will find out soon.

Sadly, there won't be any further album in 5.1.

• Really pleased these are coming out all in one place - I thought the quality of Nick D's new mixes on A Chord Too Far were really good, so looking forward to hearing Soundtracks and Bankstatement in full. Would be great if they included all the b-sides and remixes, but not holding my breath!

• Sounds interesting, but some questions remain unanswered:

Are these new stereo mixes or just remastered old mixes?

Will there be bonus-tracks?

What kind of set is this: indiidual CDs inside or just cardsleeves?

Will the set contain a booklet or individual booklets?

What happened to the 5.1 plans?

... make tomorrow today!

• Going from the look of that photo and the previous Ant Phillips boxes that Esoteric reissued, I suspect it will be a clamshell box with the albums in individual card sleeves, and probably a booklet of some kind. From what I can tell from that article, the post-Fugitive albums have simply been remastered as opposed to being all new mixes. Surround mix plans appear to have been shelved.

This set seems a bit... half-assed in some ways. I'm glad for any newer fans who may not have this stuff, perhaps it's aimed at them as an easy way to get it all in one shot. Personally, I already have his complete catalogue on CD including a couple of CD singles with b-side tracks, and Esoteric's own A Chord Too Far boxed set from a couple of years ago which is excellent.

• Lets hope ND dies a better job than the horrific Genesis SACD albums released in the box sets. 5.1 versions are excellent but CDs too loud.

Yes, I have no use for the stereo mixes on those boxes, with that terrible modern idea that all levels need to be pushed to 11. So much of the dynamics and beauty of the music is lost. I tend to stick with the original CDs (prior to the '94 remasters), they sound best on my stereo system. These albums were not meant to be squashed down for consumption on ear buds and computer speakers, which is how they were mastered after the new mixing.

• Official Post

They have now officially announced when we knew for a while:

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…aults-this-July-n603.html

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/pr…5-8-disc-7cd-1dvd-boxset/

Looks like the albums were only remastered, not remixed.

• Im trying to figure out who gets a signed post card? Is it at random? I hope i do. Thanks for linking me here btw i saw this on another page and it would t open so i started that other thread.

• Im trying to figure out who gets a signed post card? Is it at random? I hope i do. Thanks for linking me here btw i saw this on another page and it would t open so i started that other thread.

I think it's first-come first-served, the site says "while stocks last". So get your order in if you haven't already.

Interesting that the cover art is based on The Fugitive, but I suppose it and Still are the only albums that had any sort of representation of him on the cover, aren't they? And with TF being the only one he sung all the way through it kind of makes it the most solo of his albums.

Abandon all reason

• I have always wondered if there really was a real Tony Banks solo album besides Fugitive. I tend to see the other albums as projects with different people (with the classical music albums being the exception, his is a completely different world).

I quite like Still, but what would Still be without Kershaw and Fish?

• I have always wondered if there really was a real Tony Banks solo album besides Fugitive. I tend to see the other albums as projects with different people (with the classical music albums being the exception, his is a completely different world).

On that basis, I would be inclined to consider ACF as much a "real" solo album, if not more so, because this is the only album where Tony plays every instrument except for drums.

Yeah, when I think of his solo work I immediately default to The Fugitive. I still quite like it. I never really got on with the other ones.

I'm now reminded of Alan White being interviewed about his solo album Ramshackled. It was put to him he didn't really do anything other than drum on it so how could it be called an 'Alan White' album? He replied, "Because I paid for it."

Abandon all reason