What is a "Stepp"?

• In the credits for GUITAR NOIR (I only have the original U.S. version), Steve is credited on several tracks as playing "Stepp." What is this?

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Official Post

Was wondering myself a couple of years ago. Thanks!

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• It was a bit more than just a guitar synth. It was the world's first (only?) Digital sampling guitar. Steve used it on one track on his "Momentum" tour in 1988, which I was lucky enough to see at Manchester Opera House. He set up a tape loop with an electric guitar (years before KT Tunstall was doing it, and decades before Ed Sheeran got himself in unjustified lumber with it! :)) then picked up the Stepp DG1, which looked a bit like a transistor radio (a high end one like a Sony ICF-2001D or a Grundig Satellit 700) with a fretboard, and proceeded to create what can almost be described as a religious experience! You could assign different samples to each string, so one had female choir, another male, another organ, and so on.

The opening of "Concert for Munich" was it's first appearance on a Steve Hackett record.

Stepp marketing video:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Wow! I want it :) Guess I'll have to learn to play guitar to play this... :|

I just love the euphoria from that time: "The acoustic guitar with electric pickup will fade into the background eventually." *cue pictures of gravestones with guitars* - Looks like we are living in a regressive era then :P As much as I love the vibrance and life of acoustic instruments, I am right away fascinated by this electronic thing with its sounds and its possibilities. Sad that every attempt to create any kind of "electronic guitars" ran dry, there has been a bunch of similar things from the 80's (think of the Syntaxe and other midi-guitars) and each of them were only used a small number of times by a small number of players.

• You might be able to buy Steve's if you can track it down, he sold it around the time of the divorce, I guess partly for the money, and partly as he was unlikely ever to use it again, technology having marched on!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!