20th Anniversary: MIKE + THE MECHANICS - M6 (1999)

• Official Post

The fifth studio album by MIKE + THE MECHANICS celebrates its 20th anniversary today.

What do you think about this album, looking back?

This is our review from 1999:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…M6-album-review-s205.html

• To be honest Christian, not a huge fan of Mike's solo work. Too poppy with lots of song driven music. Not my taste at all.... Though there are a few tracks that are not too bad..

• I used to listen to that one a lot and Look across at dreamland and When I get over you are my favorites. Have to check it out again! Thanks for bringing that back to my attention

... make tomorrow today!

• Official Post

I remember that I quite liked the dominance of guitars on that one. It was a bit odd since Collins made a similar move on Dance Into The Light.

I was a bit shocked that Now That You've Gone souded so much like Cher, but somehow I got used to it and really like the song now.

Favorite tracks: All The Light I Need, When I Get Over You, Open Up

some other tracks sound too much like a Carrack solo album to me ...

• To be honest Christian, not a huge fan of Mike's solo work. Too poppy with lots of song driven music. Not my taste at all.... Though there are a few tracks that are not too bad..

I didn't like the album when it came out, so I basically agree. But certain songs are quite nice, such as All the light I need or My little island. But as a whole, it was a step back after the superb Beggar album.

• Official Post

I have played the record again - there are only 5 tracks sung by Paul Young. Funny enough, these really stand out. I completely forgot how catch Ordinary Girl was, or the hoopy poopy Always Listen To Your Heart...

• Their best album IMO , criminally underrated!

Wouldn‘t go that far, but obviously it didn’t and doesn’t get the credit it deserves. There are a couple of nice tracks on it. Maybe it’s simply too long? Who knows, but imagine this album had 10 or 11 tracks only.