Technical issues and questions about the new forum

• Off-topic, and yet not - how exactly does one post pictures on the site? I'd like to put some from the shows/M&Gs I have gone to, but I don't know how.

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Hey OneForTheVine

When you reply or write a new post, you see (just below the space where you type your comment) four options - "smilies", "attachments", "settings" and "poll"

click "attachments" and choose upload, then pick your photo from your smartphone or hard drive.

You can then decide to include the full image or a thumbnail (that gets bigger when you click on it in your finished post).

Make sure your file is not bigger than 1MB

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “Techical issues and questions about the new forum” to “Technical issues and questions about the new forum”.
  • you may have noticed, our website and forum was down for several hours earlier today.

The reason was some kind of "hick up" in our server system, so nothing serious. It just needed some time to get things working again so now we're back and nothing was damaged or got lost.

• How can posts by a person I blocked be showing up as visible to me?

not sure. But moderators cannot be blocked obviously. please send me a private message via conversations. I think it’s easier to discuss it there.

• Is there any way of excluding sub forums from the latest posts list?

We are in the middle of possibly the last tour, there has been tons of interesting new video's, podcasts, tv shows and interviews about the band in the last few months, much of it not mentioned on this forum.

Yet as is often the case, all 15 of the latest posts (ie what's going on) relate to "song titles with" or football. Anything interesting about Genesis gets knocked off into obscurity as soon as it's posted.

• Is there any way of excluding sub forums from the latest posts list?

We are in the middle of possibly the last tour, there has been tons of interesting new video's, podcasts, tv shows and interviews about the band in the last few months, much of it not mentioned on this forum.

Yet as is often the case, all 15 of the latest posts (ie what's going on) relate to "song titles with" or football. Anything interesting about Genesis gets knocked off into obscurity as soon as it's posted.

Can't you just scroll down to what you want to read first? That's what I do, and then I return to the game threads, as I participate in those.

• I don't know what I want to read or where it is. The news could be posted anywhere.

The dashboard with the 15 latest hot threads is the ideal place for anyone to see at a glance what is going on in the Genesis world, unfortunately most of the time it's useless because of all the what I ate for breakfast type content.

Before people join, this is what they see, instead of the hotbed of news you'd expect to see on a genesis news forum in the middle of a tour.

At this moment, the dashboard shows 2 posts about the band/tour, and 13 that have nothing to do with the band. Earlier it was 0-15.

Edited once, last by vl1 ().

• I've muted some forums I'm not interested in, including the 'games' ones. In the main forum menu I went to Options and unselected from the forums list there.

Just now, for me the dashboard list was 4 tour threads, 6 other Genesis-related threads, 2 non-Genesis music threads and 3 otherwise unrelated (which strikes me as a good mix).

Any potential joiner interested enough will look at the main forum page and explore the areas that appeal to them and thus of course delight in the witty, thoughtful, balanced discourse they'll (mostly) find there. And will obviously immediately join. If non-members even see the dashboard and based on that decide not to join or visit again they were probably unlikely to join or make a worthwhile contribution anyway.

By the way, I had bran flakes and a sprinkling of raisins, and peanut butter on toast, with a mug of tea, for breakfast. Oh! Sorry - wrong thread.

Abandon all reason

• I didn't join for a long time because of the lack of apparent content. (and have stopped posting interesting stuff because of lack of apparent interest, or because it gets lost in the noise).

The dashboard is the front page, if there's nothing about the band there, it's a turn off.

Thanks for telling me about the options, it's not much use to me personally because I only login to post, but will be of use to others.

Surely Lentils would be more your thing.

• The dashboard is the front page, if there's nothing about the band there, it's a turn off.

As I said, anyone sufficiently interested and with the required additional few molecules of attention-span will take the extra step beyond the dashboard and, if they're a member, have the option of posting something to liven up or vary the current content if they so wish. In that sense an off-topic-heavy dashboard might be a good filter and ensure we get interested members and posters with something to offer and bothered enough to join in with it.

Thanks for telling me about the options, it's not much use to me personally because I only login to post, but will be of use to others.

Then you're unlikely to be satisfied unless you log in and adjust your forum views to give a more Genesis-specific dashboard.

Surely Lentils would be more your thing.

I don't mind them occasionally and in particular I make a delicious dhal and a fine dhansak. But I've never had lentils (or indeed Lentils) for breakfast.

Abandon all reason

• You can always (individually) exclude forums you don't want to see on the latest posts site

This applies to the desktop view:

Go the the general forum list here

https://www.genesis-news.com/forum/

On the top right you see an "eye symbol" right below the instagram icon. By clicking on that, you can disable the forums you'd like. You won't see the content unless you reactivate them.

As far as I know, it's not possible to mute forums only for the use of the latest posts page. Which means, you'd need to turn them on again once you want to have a look!

In addition, I have changed the options for the dashboard / Latest post

- there will be 25 threads now

- all NON Genesis-related stuff won't appear here, but is still visible in the forum.